• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021 College Football Thread: Grass Picker Named to CFP Selection Committee!

a team with a bye has never lost in the first round in nfl history

that was the point

My point was he was going just a tad far with the "IT'S SO UNFAIR!!!!!111" claim.

In fact I'd argue CFP byes are more fair than NFL byes, especially in the 7-team playoff format -- if you win your conference you at least play a fairly similar schedule to your opponents in the same conference, and one of you gets the reward of a bye. NFL teams play wildly different schedules across the different divisions

WF to Oklahoma State transfer Trey Rucker accused of assaulting a police officer.

My point was he was going just a tad far with the "IT'S SO UNFAIR!!!!!111" claim.

In fact I'd argue CFP byes are more fair than NFL byes, especially in the 7-team playoff format -- if you win your conference you at least play a fairly similar schedule to your opponents in the same conference, and one of you gets the reward of a bye. NFL teams play wildly different schedules across the different divisions

You think NCAA schedules are more equal than NFL schedules?

Get out of here

I don't think that's necessarily true. The way I understand the proposal is that no conference champion is guaranteed entry by virtue of winning their conference. I'm pretty sure it's set up so that the the rankings of the conference champions are the only criteria used to determine the 6 conference champion bids, so in theory a team that falls ass backwards into winning their conference (think something ridiculous like a 7-5 GT upsetting a 12-0 Clemson in the ACCT) doesn't guarantee entry into the playoff.

With that said, at some point a P5 conference champion will probably get left out and it will be awesome or, with our luck, it'll be Wake.

You're correct - I read the automatic qualifier criteria wrong. In that case, Wake would have been the 7th-ranked conference champion, so Wake would not have been included. Instead an 11-3 Arkansas team riding a two-game losing streak gets the nod instead.

A 10-2 Wake Forest team whose only losses were a fluky loss to an 8-4 Clemson team and the #19 VT team.

If that had happened, there would have been some outrage that a 2 loss P5 conference champ was left out (despite an ugly 9-6 ACC Championship win).

To me, the 9-6 ACC Championship game was beautiful. That team could play D. IIRC, all 11 starters and a handful of reserves were either NFL draft picks or NFL UFAs.

The most points any team scored on that D was 27 by VT, which included a fumble return for a TD by the Hokies and a 17 yard drive for FG. The score of that game was 7-3 at half. L'ville was 3rd in the nation in scoring that year averaging 38 ppg, and the WF defense held L'ville to 24 points, but WF rarely turned the ball over that year, had 3 TOs which cost the Deacs a win.

You're correct - I read the automatic qualifier criteria wrong. In that case, Wake would have been the 7th-ranked conference champion, so Wake would not have been included. Instead an 11-3 Arkansas team riding a two-game losing streak gets the nod instead.

Keep in mind that in such a scenario, there is going to be a lot of jockeying and lobbying going on by the conferences. I don't think there is any way that Wake gets left out of a 12 team playoff that year. If somebody has to put Wake 12th instead of 15th (where we ended up in the last pre-bowl poll, IIRC), then that is what is going to happen.

Keep in mind that in such a scenario, there is going to be a lot of jockeying and lobbying going on by the conferences. I don't think there is any way that Wake gets left out of a 12 team playoff that year. If somebody has to put Wake 12th instead of 15th (where we ended up in the last pre-bowl poll, IIRC), then that is what is going to happen.

I dunno - you wind up with all six at-large teams being from the Big Ten, SEC, or Notre Dame - that's basically the college football playoffs wet dream.

Huge if true !

I dunno - you wind up with all six at-large teams being from the Big Ten, SEC, or Notre Dame - that's basically the college football playoffs wet dream.

True that because unless somehow UNC gets to their supposed 10+ wins they are the only ACC team beside champ Clemson to have a chance to get in to the 12 team playoff this year.

Huge if true !

Is this an Oregon situation? Who else in the PAC12 has any sort of "legacy" right now other than Phil Knight? Surely Shaw & Stanford aren't in hot water. Oregon or yet another USC situation seem to be the only "power/legacy" options to me. But Helton & USC have sucked lately.

Have any of these pre-hyped stories ever turned up anything good? Seems like if they had something, they’d just publish it and let it work it’s magic.

Have any of these pre-hyped stories ever turned up anything good? Seems like if they had something, they’d just publish it and let it work it’s magic.

Feel like the Yahoo Miami/Shapiro story had some solid hype before it. Brett McMurphy basically broke the Urban Meyer tOSU scandal on social media (he was let go from ESPN). And there were definitely a lot of rumblings about Reggie Bush getting paid for years before it finally broke.

I guess by anything good I mean anything that actually changed sports in a meaningful way or resulted in real consequences for those involved.

I agree. Drop those bombs.

You think NCAA schedules are more equal than NFL schedules?

Get out of here

College = bye to conference winners. Schedules are fairly common within the individual divisions that make up the conferences.
NFL = bye to the team with best record. Division winners could have as few as two opponents in common

Not that complicated

College = bye to conference winners. Schedules are fairly common within the individual divisions that make up the conferences.
NFL = bye to the team with best record. Division winners could have as few as two opponents in common

Not that complicated

Really ? Georgia played Alabama last year, Florida didn’t. If Georgia had played Ole Miss instead, they would have won the SEC East, even with a loss to Florida. Not equal.

UNC-CH made a NY6 bowl last year with three losses but didn't even play Clemson.

Back