• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

Why don’t the school choice donks not want to make all schools better? Why should parents have to send their kids across town or the county when the one in walking distance could be made to be just as kid as the so-called desirable one? Kids shouldn’t have to enter a lottery for their education.

Why don’t the school choice donks not want to make all schools better? Why should parents have to send their kids across town or the county when the one in walking distance could be made to be just as kid as the so-called desirable one? Kids shouldn’t have to enter a lottery for their education.

We do. We think competition and accountability will do that. We think your idea of throwing another $26B blindly down the hallway without competition and/or accountability will produce more of the same.

So you two seem to think public schooling overall is better now than it was 30+ years ago when the competition and accountability era began.

When has competition made winners out of everyone? Mandating competition means there will be a Best Buy and a Radio Shack. There will be a Bed, Bath, and Beyond and a Linens ‘n Things.

There will be winners and losers by design. The time spent forcing competition and using accountability to determine the loser is time wasted for students.

Schools shouldn’t compete against each other except in sports and activities like debate.

So you two seem to think public schooling overall is better now than it was 30+ years ago when the competition and accountability era began.

When has competition made winners out of everyone? Mandating competition means there will be a Best Buy and a Radio Shack. There will be a Bed, Bath, and Beyond and a Linens ‘n Things.

There will be winners and losers by design. The time spent forcing competition and using accountability to determine the loser is time wasted for students.

Your analogy is perfect, thank you. I don't give a tinker's curse about the Bed, Bath, and Beyonds or the Linens 'n Things. I care about the customers that left those stores when those stores no longer served their interests. Those customers are now better served by the stores that did. The system exists to serve the interests of the end-users, not the service providers.

Your analogy is perfect, thank you. I don't give a tinker's curse about the Bed, Bath, and Beyonds or the Linens 'n Things. I care about the customers that left those stores when those stores no longer served their interests. Those customers are now better served by the stores that did. The system exists to serve the interests of the end-users, not the service providers.

The fact that you can’t see the difference between schools and businesses is disturbing.

Children need stability. They can’t change schools like people go to one store one day and another store the next. They shouldn’t change schools from year to year trying to find the “best one.”

The time you spent evaluating a school is time students are in a doomed school.

And you still seem to believe every student can attend the one best school.

The fact that you can’t see the difference between schools and businesses is disturbing.

Children need stability. They can’t change schools like people go to one store one day and another store the next. They shouldn’t change schools from year to year trying to find the “best one.”

The time you spent evaluating a school is time students are in a doomed school.

And you still seem to believe every student can attend the one best school.

I don't and have never said so. It seems that you'd rather have that argument with your strawman than listen to what I've said. The "best school" will be determined by each family, and the answers will inevitably vary. Maybe your best option is the one closest to your home (for the stability reason you cite), maybe the best school has the music program that your child is interested in, maybe the best school for your student is a residential STEM program in Durham; maybe your child would benefit from smaller classes at one of the lower demand schools; there is no end to the variables.

That’s a pretty big assumption to make. Aren’t you still giving grades to schools? You don’t seem to understand the basic consequences of conservative plans.

Either way, instead of working to make schools better, your goal is to blame parents for making the wrong decision.

Forcing schools to market themselves in order to attract the best students so they can be considered the best schools is ridiculous. At least that makes a little sense in higher education. It shouldn’t be the case in K-12.

Do we really think that parents in the nicer districts are gonna be happy when kids from so-called less desirable neighborhoods all start attending their schools? Like if you're in Fulton County, GA, and kids from South Atlanta start attending the Buckhead or Alpharetta schools.

Do we really think that parents in the nicer districts are gonna be happy when kids from so-called less desirable neighborhoods all start attending their schools? Like if you're in Fulton County, GA, and kids from South Atlanta start attending the Buckhead or Alpharetta schools.

What if we had a system that gave as much of a voice to the families from South Atlanta as it does to the wallets of the parents that live in Alpharetta?

How do you maintain competition to keep the motivation to get and stay better? Once bed bath and beyond put linens and things out of business the completion is gone and so is the motivation.

Also, a lot of what drove the competition that linens and things lost was bed bath and beyond cutting costs, taking short term losses for long term gain, offering similar but shitty products for less money. The quality of the store or the shopping experience didn’t improve, it was just cheaper.

That’s a pretty big assumption to make. Aren’t you still giving grades to schools? You don’t seem to understand the basic consequences of conservative plans.

Either way, instead of working to make schools better, your goal is to blame parents for making the wrong decision.

Forcing schools to market themselves in order to attract the best students so they can be considered the best schools is ridiculous. At least that makes a little sense in higher education. It shouldn’t be the case in K-12.

Can't wait to see elementary and high schools in an amenities arms race to attract the best students. I'm sure the teachers will appreciate another pay cut to pay for these.

(This might actually be a goal of conservative school choice programs).

What if we had a system that gave as much of a voice to the families from South Atlanta as it does to the wallets of the parents that live in Alpharetta?

I'll ask this for the 19th time, what happens when 10000 students apply to the "good" school that can only hold 2500 students? What happens to the 7500 students who didn't get their "choice"?

Answer this question directly or be considered a coward forever.

I'll ask this for the 19th time, what happens when 10000 students apply to the "good" school that can only hold 2500 students? What happens to the 7500 students who didn't get their "choice"?

Answer this question directly or be considered a coward forever.

Please henceforth consider me unbothered by your keyboard rattling. It's hard to overstate my amusement at your tough guy act.

It turns out the capacity of the high school is unchanged whether you have a choice format or assignment by bureaucratic fiat. Some people will get their first choice, others will not, and that's true under either format. The difference is that the choice system gives much more equal access to the better schools than the current system, which is largely driven by the buying power of homeowners.

Please henceforth consider me unbothered by your keyboard rattling. It's hard to overstate my amusement at your tough guy act.

It turns out the capacity of the high school is unchanged whether you have a choice format or assignment by bureaucratic fiat. Some people will get their first choice, others will not, and that's true under either format. The difference is that the choice system gives much more equal access to the better schools than the current system, which is largely driven by the buying power of homeowners.

What are you considering “better” schools in this sentence, not in your earlier baloney above about better is subjective to every family. In our current system, what makes those schools better?

Ok so how does the process work for choice? Is it completely random? Would you be okay with your children being drawn into the "bottom school"? You can't just say school choice without having a plan for how that will work. Doing that would be intellectually irresponsible, and make it seem like your entire argument is just a conservative talking point and not something you actually care to see unfold.

Because if you are advocating a school choice system where everyone in the county picks their top school choices regardless of their location, and then students get drawn into random schools regardless of where they live, I am 100% on board.

Ok so how does the process work for choice? Is it completely random? Would you be okay with your children being drawn into the "bottom school"? You can't just say school choice without having a plan for how that will work. Doing that would be intellectually irresponsible, and make it seem like your entire argument is just a conservative talking point and not something you actually care to see unfold.

Because if you are advocating a school choice system where everyone in the county picks their top school choices regardless of their location, and then students get drawn into random schools regardless of where they live, I am 100% on board.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard.

To clarify, this means that every student in the district gets to pick any school they want to go. There is no neighborhood/family/legacy preference. Transportation is provided for all students. It's just simple luck of the draw, and the application is simple and accessible to all.

The suburbans moms are going to lynch you.

To clarify, this means that every student in the district gets to pick any school they want to go. There is no neighborhood/family/legacy preference. Transportation is provided for all students. It's just simple luck of the draw, and the application is simple and accessible to all.

The suburbans moms are going to lynch you.

Your nonsensical transportation subsidy aside (nobody has ever said that), full, free choice would make schools better. All of them. That's the goal, right?

Back