• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021 Football Coaching Carousel

That’s not Wakeyleaks level stuff.

That’s not Wakeyleaks level stuff.

Maybe not, but it’s definitely fun seeing all the Sooner fans lose their shit over this assistant coach recruiting for OU and USC at the same time.

In no way is that worse than opening up a teams playbook to multiple opponents when you are a former coach and player. Come on dude.

Yeah. And unless I’m missing something, it doesn’t even look like this guy was recruiting OU targets for USC, just recruiting for both programs.

I get the OU fan sour grapes and exaggerated sense of importance of their program. That’s basic fan stuff. But this is a nothing burger that probably happens during every big coaching change.

Looks like Oregon OC Joe Moorhead will take the Akron head job after the Pac-12 CG.

Weird career arc for Moorhead. After Penn State's offense blew up when Moorhead took over as the PSU OC in 2015, Moorhead was named the "#1 rising assistant in college football by SI." Moorhead parlayed that success to get Mississippi State head job, and despite winning two Egg Bowls and a 14-12 record in two years in Starkville, the Bulldogs fired Moorhead to hire Mike Leach. Moorhead has been praised for his work leading the Oregon offense. Now, Moorhead takes the Akron job, which except for New Mexico State, may the worst FBS football program in the nation. Also, it would seem unlikely that Akron can pay Moorhead the salary that he gets an OC at a Power V school like Oregon. Maybe Joe just likes Akron, Ohio (he was an assistant there for 4 years from 2004-8).

Looks like Oregon OC Joe Moorhead will take the Akron head job after the Pac-12 CG.

Weird career arc for Moorhead. After Penn State's offense blew up when Moorhead took over as the PSU OC in 2015, Moorhead was named the "#1 rising assistant in college football by SI." Moorhead parlayed that success to get Mississippi State head job, and despite winning two Egg Bowls and a 14-12 record in two years in Starkville, the Bulldogs fired Moorhead to hire Mike Leach. Moorhead has been praised for his work leading the Oregon offense. Now, Moorhead takes the Akron job, which except for New Mexico State, may the worst FBS football program in the nation. Also, it would seem unlikely that Akron can pay Moorhead the salary that he gets an OC at a Power V school like Oregon. Maybe Joe just likes Akron, Ohio (he was an assistant there for 4 years from 2004-8).

It is completely bizarre. You would have thought he would have been a candidate for mid-tier Power 5 jobs like Virginia Tech - certainly more qualified than the guy they hired.

Yeah. And unless I’m missing something, it doesn’t even look like this guy was recruiting OU targets for USC, just recruiting for both programs.

I get the OU fan sour grapes and exaggerated sense of importance of their program. That’s basic fan stuff. But this is a nothing burger that probably happens during every big coaching change.

LOL. I get that you want to think that I'm having a cow over all this, but this isn't the usual coach leaving stuff. He is on the OU payroll. Compliance had not tweeted in several weeks and that office, which is nothing but lawyers, is now looking into it. Former and current players in disbelief. The coaching fraternity is a small place. There are certain things you do not do.

If this had happened at Wake, nobody on this board would be saying it's probably just the usual coaches leaving stuff, you especially, and it would be one of those rare occasions where everybody would actually agree with you.

Drop a truckload of toilets with the word "TRAITOR" written around the rim of the bowl on his front lawn. That'll really get some national press!!!!!

We’d be mad Currie let it happen by keeping the old staff around too long and not having a new staff in place.

That is weird. To my knowledge, Oregon isn't being investigated for any shenanigans. If they were, it would make more sense. Maybe he wasn't happy at UO, but if that's the case, why not a lateral position somewhere else?

This is the first post of yours I have ever agreed with. Go ahead, cowboy!

giphy.gif

No job specific info, but I was just speaking with a client of mine who has a son that is committed to play football for Marshall. The Marshall head coach, Charles Huff, came down to meet with the family today. The dad said he told Charles something like, "If my son finishes his career and you're still his head coach at Marshall, you definitely screwed something up." Charles agreed with him.

So probably safe to say that Huff would move on if the right job opens up (which is in no way a surprise). Wonder why he didn't get more of a look from VT... Seems like a good fit, though Huff probably needs another year or two of success.

the ONLY thing oklahoma has is college football - so this is a big deal

Ha. Like OU has never hired a coach away. GTFO.

ETA well Wiki would indicate they may have only done it once in anything approaching recent history.

Last edited:
Back