• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOUISVILLE at WF, SATURDAY NOON, 12:30 kickoff

I am not a cord cutter and I got YouTube TV just to watch ACC Network. Sorry to say that this game is not televised for people who do not live in the viewing are. You can be tired of hearing about it, but it does not change the fact that there is a product that people want to watch and are willing to pay for and it is not available.

I think the point here is the double standard we see here. Does anyone actually believe a 4-0 Clemson or UNC wouldnt be televised in a much different way.

I stumbled upon one of our games on firstrowsports.eu a year or so ago, when I was in the UK on business. Lots of connection issues, but it did seem to work.

I think the point here is the double standard we see here. Does anyone actually believe a 4-0 Clemson or UNC wouldnt be televised in a much different way.

Are networks in the business of maintaining single standards or making money?

I am not a cord cutter and I got YouTube TV just to watch ACC Network. Sorry to say that this game is not televised for people who do not live in the viewing are. You can be tired of hearing about it, but it does not change the fact that there is a product that people want to watch and are willing to pay for and it is not available.

It appears to be available on watchespn. https://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/_/type/upcoming/categoryId/60459870-f8fc-3b3a-a6b9-d8af4bf19223/startDate/20211002 Before we got Hulu and the ACC Network, I did a couple of free trials of Youtube TV to watch away games.

Due to unforeseen events, I won't be able to tailgate and will be leaving the Hanes Mall area around 11:00 or 11:30 to get to the stadium. Will I have any problems parking at the Joel if I get there that close to kickoff? Any advice on best route to take to avoid as much traffic as possible?

Are networks in the business of maintaining single standards or making money?

Yep. Bottom line is networks apparently think more people are interested in watching the FSU train wreck than a good Wake team and a pretty good Louisville team. They may not be wrong.

Due to unforeseen events, I won't be able to tailgate and will be leaving the Hanes Mall area around 11:00 or 11:30 to get to the stadium. Will I have any problems parking at the Joel if I get there that close to kickoff? Any advice on best route to take to avoid as much traffic as possible?

Dude, I have been in this situation before.

I usually drive like some angry dad in a mini-van and somehow arrive by kickoff. But it is not pretty...

So this is not a parody?

It would be on Gameday after 5 minutes of discussion about how snuggly our stadium is.

Do you have a parking pass or care where you park as long as it's walkable? If you don't have a parking pass you need to use, I'd try to back door it to those random lots that people set up on 32nd close to Indiana (I think thats the street). That will at least avoid traffic on University.

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2021/...st-is-the-best-dumb-rivalry-in-college-sports

Oct. 2, 2021
Suddenly being hailed by many as the best team in the ACC, 4-0 Wake Forest will host Louisville on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. in Winston-Salem. The resurgent Cardinals will be shooting for their first win over a ranked opponent since that thrilling win over the Deacs in 2019. The biggest game of the weekend in the conference will, of course, only be seen on regional sports networks. A fittingly dumb home for the dumbest rivalry in all of college sports.

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2021/...-cardinal-news-and-notes-louisville-cardinals

Cameron Sutherland has made it his life mission to never let Wake Forest fans forget about the 1996 Sweet 16 screwjob.

Last edited:
https://www.cardchronicle.com/2021/...st-is-the-best-dumb-rivalry-in-college-sports

Oct. 2, 2021
Suddenly being hailed by many as the best team in the ACC, 4-0 Wake Forest will host Louisville on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. in Winston-Salem. The resurgent Cardinals will be shooting for their first win over a ranked opponent since that thrilling win over the Deacs in 2019. The biggest game of the weekend in the conference will, of course, only be seen on regional sports networks. A fittingly dumb home for the dumbest rivalry in all of college sports.

https://www.cardchronicle.com/2021/...-cardinal-news-and-notes-louisville-cardinals

Cameron Sutherland has made it his life mission to never let Wake Forest fans forget about the 1996 Sweet 16 screwjob.

https://www.si.com/college/louisville/football/bicknell-brown-preview-wf

OT Renato Brown: We're gonna fight until the end, and we're not gonna give up. We're gonna finish the whole game. You got to play four quarters when you play with us.

Never heard of that “screw job.”

That was a good summary of the “rivalry.”

Really hard to know how good WF is right now. Deacs have taken their foot off the gas in the 2nd half of each game (to be fair, L'ville was up big on FSU last Saturday, and then didn't score in the 2nd half).

Also, while it's too early to say whether this is WF's best team, it's obvious that this is WF's deepest team, and it's not close. WF substitutes in waves. So, that reduces the chance of the team, particularly the defense, wearing down in the second half. This depth also explains why the special teams have been... special.

WF faced a similar situation in 2019 as a favored and ranked team hosting L'ville, and special teams killed us: 100 yard KO return for a TD, 50 yard punt return that set up a TD. WF also turned it over three times, including a Cade Carney fumble, which never happens. FWIW, Micale Cunningham started that game and played well (threw for 2 TDs and ran for 59 yards), but WF knocked him out of the game, but of course the backup QB, Evan Conley had a career game. Feel like WF wins comfortably as long as WF does not throw up on itself, like in 2019.

Last edited:
Really hard to know how good WF is right now. Deacs have taken their foot off the gas in the 2nd half of each game (to be fair, L'ville was up big on FSU last Saturday, and then didn't score in the 2nd half).

Also, while it's too early to say whether this is WF's best team, it's obvious that this is WF's deepest team, and it's not close. WF substitutes in waves. So, that reduces the chance of the team, particularly the defense, wearing down in the second half. This depth also explains why the special teams have been... special.

WF faced a similar situation in 2019 as a favored and ranked team hosting L'ville, and special teams killed us: 100 yard KO return for a TD, 50 yard punt return that set up a TD. WF also turned it over three times, including a Cade Carney fumble, which never happens. FWIW, Micale Cunningham started that game and played well (threw for 2 TDs and ran for 59 yards), but WF knocked him out of the game, but of course the backup QB, Evan Conley had a career game. Feel like WF wins comfortably as long as WF does not throw up on itself, like in 2019.
The 2019 game may have been the worst effort I've seen in the Clawson era. As soon as we were ranked, we assumed we could mail it in. Clawson might show a few clips from the 2019 game as a strong reminder of what can happen.

Louisville had an 83-yard kickoff return to our 15 to start the second half, and they scored a TD on the next play. This after Newman ended the first half with a red zone interception. Maggio also had a 31-yard punt from our 15 to set up a Louisville field goal. Miserable game.

Also, while it's too early to say whether this is WF's best team, it's obvious that this is WF's deepest team, and it's not close. WF substitutes in waves. So, that reduces the chance of the team, particularly the defense, wearing down in the second half.

This is really why I'm so optimistic about this season. In previous years, 2019 especially, injuries to a few key guys derailed the remainder of what felt like a promising season. This season has already seen us not even skip a beat against a very good offense with both Fox and Greer out, who are two of our best defenders. It feels like we have the depth to withstand injuries at nearly every spot on the depth chart without becoming substantially worse, which is a huge deal.

The only injuries I can think of that would put this team in really bad shape would be Hartman, Tom, and if more than one of Roberson/Perry/Morin missed a game. Losing Masterson or Smenda would probably also hurt pretty bad, but I think we could probably manage with one of those out. We have the depth to be ok even if there are multiple starters out at S, DL, RB, TE and probably CB.

Back