• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOUISVILLE at WF, SATURDAY NOON, 12:30 kickoff

If this team can avoid a mental let down, OR, overcome one, then who knows how far they go.

Related to the mental aspect of it - curious how this year's team will respond when they finally trail in a game for the first time.

Related to the mental aspect of it - curious how this year's team will respond when they finally trail in a game for the first time.

Or, when they actually have to take meaningful snaps in the 4th quarter?! Either way, its gonna be a wild ride.

Reading their board they are as bad as the heels board. Not a fan.

I had a different experience. Wife and I stayed at a hotel that turned out to be one of Louisville's HQ hotels. Full of Cards. Following the game, they were universally nice. Almost all said they should have lost and would have but for the two fumbles. Several criticized Petrino for not being more gracious to Wake in his postgame presser. We went to the bar for a nightcap and got treated to two rounds. The Louisville fans we encountered were very gracious.

This is legitimately the first time I’ve ever heard a nice report about their fan base but it’s good to see.

PH, you should drive up for this game.

Regardless of total snaps, our D was gassssed that final drive. The ref moving the ball forward 6 feet did not help.

Can’t come up this weekend. If we keep this up, I could see coming up for State or maybe even going to Clemson.

The first and last stand by the D vs UVa were both very impressive for different reasons.

The last stop was great because UVa really wanted to just end the game on a high note and our D just didn’t give it to them. That was a 13 play, 91 yard drive for no points when UVa was playing for pride and our D just wanted to go home. Smenda had 2 tackles and 3 assists on that drive alone.

It was a great bookend to the 16 play, 67 yard drive to start the game. We needed the first one because I’m sure both teams were geared up for a shootout. Getting that stop after the 3rd down penalty really changed the tone of the game and put UVa on their heels.

Can’t come up this weekend. If we keep this up, I could see coming up for State or maybe even going to Clemson.

The first and last stand by the D vs UVa were both very impressive for different reasons.

The last stop was great because UVa really wanted to just end the game on a high note and our D just didn’t give it to them. That was a 13 play, 91 yard drive for no points when UVa was playing for pride and our D just wanted to go home. Smenda had 2 tackles and 3 assists on that drive alone.

It was a great bookend to the 16 play, 67 yard drive to start the game. We needed the first one because I’m sure both teams were geared up for a shootout. Getting that stop after the 3rd down penalty really changed the tone of the game and put UVa on their heels.

On Clawson's show tonight he had an interesting observation on the last play of that first drive. Norfolk State had used the same formation, and Wake hadn't responded well. This time they were prepared for it.

Nick Andersen is so much fun to watch on defense, I think he has a huge game

PH, you should drive up for this game.

Regardless of total snaps, our D was gassssed that final drive. The ref moving the ball forward 6 feet did not help.

I don't think the D was that gassed at the end. Wake was in soft prevent D for the last UVA drive. The D just wanted UVA offensevto bleed clock. The D was willing to concede yards. When UVA got close, the defense tightened up considerably and denied UVA the TD.

Our schedule has been weak for sure but we’ve put big numbers on everyone other than Clemson for several seasons now while setting records for offensive production and scoring. I’m no longer worried about the offense. If our defense continues to play at a high level that changes our outlook considerably.

doesn't bother me -- it's not like we've played an actually good D yet

And we won't this weekend.

and not until November

FEI defensive rankings of FCS opponents on WF's schedule:

Clem 3
NCST 19

Cuse 48
Army 60
UNC 69*
FSU 74
Duke 78
BC 79
UL 88
UVA 93
ODU 102

(WF is #41; Pitt 29, VT 34, Miami 39, GT 47)

*nice

Last edited:

You already have your answer: trailed the mighty Spartans of Norfolk State 3-0. In spite of being punched in the mouth, back on our heels ,reeling (I think that covers the basic sports tropes) we got up off the canvas (there I go again) and ran off 21 unanswered points.

Back