• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOUISVILLE at WF, SATURDAY NOON, 12:30 kickoff

I hope so. Usually that’s not the case. I looked at the ACC standings and even haters have to admit Wake is the only team that actually looks good. Only 2-0 team. 41 point differential when the next highest is Tech at 17. Win tomorrow and we are 3-0. The only other undefeated teams would be State and possibly BC (at Clemson) and Cuse (at FSU) at 1-0. Plenty of work to do but a strong 2 game lead.

I used to get irritated at stuff like that and couldn't figure out why these type of games wouldn't sell out.

Because we have a very vocal segment of our fan base that demands athletic excellence yet prefers to sit behind a keyboard instead of buying tickets or supporting the program(s) financially.

To be clear, this is not a problem specific to Wake as it occurs all across the country.

But with our small enrollment, there is little to no margin for error when it comes to putting butts in the seats in a market where most local fans with no ties to Wake support other schools.

Because we have a very vocal segment of our fan base that demands athletic excellence yet prefers to sit behind a keyboard instead of buying tickets or supporting the program(s) financially.

To be clear, this is not a problem specific to Wake as it occurs all across the country.

But with our small enrollment, there is little to no margin for error when it comes to putting butts in the seats in a market where most local fans with no ties to Wake support other schools.

Yep. I know way too many Wake fans who prefer sitting on their couch watching the game to buying tickets and supporting the team. It irritates the hell outta me.

Because we have a very vocal segment of our fan base that demands athletic excellence yet prefers to sit behind a keyboard instead of buying tickets or supporting the program(s) financially. . . .

I see this stated frequently here by others. Anyone have any real data to support that the keyboard geeks (me included) are electing to watch games online/streaming rather than attend? For some reason I'm not seeing that as a real phenonmenon for WF posters and fans but I have nothing to show to support my view either except an impression. I know posters and I see them at games a lot.

I mean it seems as simple to me as that the majority of Wake alums don't still live in Winston-Salem, and a lot don't even live within a reasonable drive for a football game. I graduated within the last 5 years and I'd say that the majority of my friends already live far enough away that they can only feasibly attend 1 or 2 games a year. I'm sure that the percentage of people living outside of reasonable driving distance to Wake only increases the further you get away from graduating.

Does still having to pay off student loans count as "supporting the program(s) financially" - asking for an entire generation of fans.

Seems more likely that MSD has increasingly brought in more students from around the country and the world instead of the NC base. When they become alumni fans, they go far away from within a few hours of NC. They also have HD TVs that can get every game. And travel is still down due to COVID.

Doesn't matter how many State fans descend on Groves. WF has won something like 11 of the last 13 at home against State. Would be fun if both teams were undefeated in conference when that game is played.

Doesn't matter how many State fans descend on Groves. WF has won something like 11 of the last 13 at home against State. Would be fun if both teams were undefeated in conference when that game is played.

There are few joys in life sweeter than beating NC State in football.

There are few joys in life sweeter than beating NC State in football.

A truism.

The State fans I’ve encountered on r/cfb have been pretty realistic/circumspect/nice. That’s actually true about most fanbases there.

But in person… not so much.

We used to have more engagement with them here too.

I mean it seems as simple to me as that the majority of Wake alums don't still live in Winston-Salem, and a lot don't even live within a reasonable drive for a football game.

Sure - But that doesn't hold water for those who live in (or around) Asheville, Charlotte, or Raleigh. Getting a slightly higher % of alums and fans off their asses within a reasonable drive will consistently fill the empty seats on the East side.

Everyone needs to step it up and do their part if we want Wake to compete at a high level in "big boy football". And as an out-of-stater, I've upped my travel commitment.

Wake is doing a better job of trying to reach out to the non-alumni fan. The ticket 4 packs are a good idea and for the ODU and NSU games they were a really good deal.

It would help though if the costs for individual game tickets would be cheaper. If you are a casual fan and wanting to take your kid to a game, you are talking about $80 for tickets and another $20 to park. And that's just for 2 people without concessions or anything.

Yep, I hope more will step up too. Yet, we will lose some too. I know a couple of others. As for me, I've had season tickets for over 50 years, but will bow out after this year. Travel and health in family regulates me to the TV starting next year. Hoping for this years the team to be the best record in a long time in my finale.

Wake is doing a better job of trying to reach out to the non-alumni fan. The ticket 4 packs are a good idea and for the ODU and NSU games they were a really good deal.

It would help though if the costs for individual game tickets would be cheaper. If you are a casual fan and wanting to take your kid to a game, you are talking about $80 for tickets and another $20 to park. And that's just for 2 people without concessions or anything.

Would tend to agree. How much value can you put on a stadium full of Deac fans? Particularly when we’re trying to garner some national attention.

No doubt the question has been answered with a precise figure, but maybe they should re-calculate it with more weight on the intangible benefits.

Two L'ville - Wake tickets. Section 3, row BB aisle,cushion seats. $40.00 for both.

Sure - But that doesn't hold water for those who live in (or around) Asheville, Charlotte, or Raleigh. Getting a slightly higher % of alums and fans off their asses within a reasonable drive will consistently fill the empty seats on the East side.

Everyone needs to step it up and do their part if we want Wake to compete at a high level in "big boy football". And as an out-of-stater, I've upped my travel commitment.

When I walk into the games there are lots of people still in the parking lot. What’s up with that? Do they have tickets but choose to tailgate only? Do they not have game tickets? Or do they have tickets but enter the game really late? I don’t know the answer, but it always seems strange.

When I walk into the games there are lots of people still in the parking lot. What’s up with that? Do they have tickets but choose to tailgate only? Do they not have game tickets? Or do they have tickets but enter the game really late? I don’t know the answer, but it always seems strange.

We have a notorious late arriving crowd. If I'm not in the stadium at least 45 minutes before kickoff, I feel like I'm late, but lots don't start coming in until mid-way 1st quarter.

Would tend to agree. How much value can you put on a stadium full of Deac fans? Particularly when we’re trying to garner some national attention.

No doubt the question has been answered with a precise figure, but maybe they should re-calculate it with more weight on the intangible benefits.

Intangible benefits don’t help make payroll. I doubt that Clawson would negotiate a pay cut to make up for decreased ticket revenue and more fans. You know who has basically given tickets away for years? duke. How’s that atmosphere looking? Win, and the seats will full. It’s not that complicated.

One of the downsides of having convenient and abundant tailgate space.

Intangible benefits don’t help make payroll. I doubt that Clawson would negotiate a pay cut to make up for decreased ticket revenue and more fans. You know who has basically given tickets away for years? duke. How’s that atmosphere looking? Win, and the seats will full. It’s not that complicated.

Question for fans in driving range who choose not to go: what would make you change your mind and go to games?

Back