• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

LOUISVILLE at WF, SATURDAY NOON, 12:30 kickoff

When I walk into the games there are lots of people still in the parking lot. What’s up with that? Do they have tickets but choose to tailgate only? Do they not have game tickets? Or do they have tickets but enter the game really late? I don’t know the answer, but it always seems strange.

Speaking only for myself, but I'm usually still tailgating when most are walking in, especially for noon games. After a busy evening+morning of prepping, packing, corralling the family, driving an hour+ to get to the lot by 9:30, unpacking, cooking, and cleaning, you're damn right I'm going to enjoy myself, take some time to chill and drink as much of my own booze as possible before packing and walking into the game, even if it means missing kickoff and the first few minutes of the 1st quarter.

Intangible benefits don’t help make payroll. I doubt that Clawson would negotiate a pay cut to make up for decreased ticket revenue and more fans. You know who has basically given tickets away for years? duke. How’s that atmosphere looking? Win, and the seats will full. It’s not that complicated.

Ehhh apparently it is complicated. We were winning 2 years ago and ranked 19th. We hosted Louisville under the lights and we had a pathetic fan showing.

Hoping we see a packed Groves tomorrow though.

It would help though if the costs for individual game tickets would be cheaper. If you are a casual fan and wanting to take your kid to a game, you are talking about $80 for tickets and another $20 to park. And that's just for 2 people without concessions or anything.

Reducing the prices on individual game tickets will dilute the season ticket holders so that's a no-go.

Plus you could buy a season ticket prior to the season starting for $120 per seat on the home side which is good value if you plan to attend at least 3 to 4 games.

I'm not sure what else can be done short of the AD slashing single game tickets for conference games to $10 or $15 per seat which will never happen.

The gameday experience currently at Wake is as family friendly and affordable as you will find in "big boy" college football.

Not having kids that have shit to do on Saturdays.

Have said for years someone's going to get rich renting out church daycares on Saturdays in the South. "GameDayCare" *- All rights reserved.

Have said for years someone's going to get rich renting out church daycares on Saturdays in the South. "GameDayCare" *- All rights reserved.

I think Sig was talking about sports and other kids activities on Saturdays.

Yeah - I’m going to be a little late Saturday b/c my son’s soccer game will end between 11:45-12 in Greensboro. While the wife is in Charlotte with the another for cross country.

Intangible benefits don’t help make payroll. I doubt that Clawson would negotiate a pay cut to make up for decreased ticket revenue and more fans. You know who has basically given tickets away for years? duke. How’s that atmosphere looking? Win, and the seats will full. It’s not that complicated.

But how is a half empty stadium helping payroll?

I get that it’s complicated. And it’s more complicated than just “win and they’ll show up.” My point was showing up helps with winning, which could lead to more showing up. But anyway the argument for why you can’t undercut your season ticket holders is compelling.

If we keep winning this year will be a test case for fan response, and I’m sure Currie will dissect the data.

I think Sig was talking about sports and other kids activities on Saturdays.

I get that, but there's a tier of kids that are too young for that stuff that are also attendance prohibitors. When ours were very young, we couldn't go because "a football day" is far more than 3.5 hours of football. With commute and tailgate, it's a six hour adventure. That ain't happening until someone can come up with an on-site solution people feel good about.

Haven't read the whole thread, and I know market forces drive ticket prices, but it'll be hard or impossible for Wake to get more townies to the games when the "value" ticket for Louisville (a team seven hours away from Winston) is $40 and the "value" ticket for NCSU is $65. If you want average joes in the seats then make it affordable for average joes to attend.

Covered a little on attendance in my preview.

Since the comparisons to 2019 are impossible to ignore -- attendance for that Louisville game was 24,434, or 77.6% capacity. IIRC for that season, 2 of the 3 home games to that point were given a bit of a free pass, since Utah State was a Friday night and another was Elon. Feel like the UNC game was a great crowd but again, for a Friday night.

But remember how pathetic of a showing it was for the Louisville game.

Let's face it, if we had a better football heritage, more fans would come....even alums from far away would come more than once a decade.

If we keep this up, I’m going to try to come up for State.

Attendance isn't a Wake problem. Miami had 37k in announced attendance last night, and I am quite sure it was far less than that. The fact is that college football is awesome on TV, and it's a lot of fun being able to watch multiple games at once. Attending a game is basically committing your entire Saturday to it.

I choose to attend and love doing it, but I understand there are many factors working against Wake in particular that have been covered many times.

That said, when the Deacs are ranked and playing a hated division rival, go to the fucking game.

Good post, especially a noonish game. Morning tailgate and you can be back home by halftime of the 3:30 games or in time for the night games if you have a longer drive.

Haven't read the whole thread, and I know market forces drive ticket prices, but it'll be hard or impossible for Wake to get more townies to the games when the "value" ticket for Louisville (a team seven hours away from Winston) is $40 and the "value" ticket for NCSU is $65. If you want average joes in the seats then make it affordable for average joes to attend.

Wake is selling 4 tickets plus a parking pass for $60.

Speaking only for myself, but I'm usually still tailgating when most are walking in, especially for noon games. After a busy evening+morning of prepping, packing, corralling the family, driving an hour+ to get to the lot by 9:30, unpacking, cooking, and cleaning, you're damn right I'm going to enjoy myself, take some time to chill and drink as much of my own booze as possible before packing and walking into the game, even if it means missing kickoff and the first few minutes of the 1st quarter.

That has been my impression - people in the lots have tickets but they are slow getting into the game. I would much rather be watching the game live than sitting in the parking lot, but there are obviously people that prefer entering late.

Everyone has a very long list of alternatives other than watching the #18 Deacons (CBS) play Louisville in person. I choose to prioritize it for a host of reasons. You're either in or you're out.

Back