• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 Bowl Projections Thread - Championship Week

Keep in mind TheAthletic's experts left Wake out of their made up conference realignment before the season started.

College football "experts" like Mandel know about a few power programs and a few coaches and top players at other schools and maybe their region. They don't know about the whole college football landscape. I certainly wouldn't expect one to know that Wake gets better than expected bowl bids because our fans travel well and spend a lot of money.

Fixed it for you.

I still need to go through and look at the projects overall. Peach is the most common one I've seen.

I still need to go through and look at the projects overall. Peach is the most common one I've seen.

That'd be the most likely spot for the ACCCG winner since the OB is in the CFP, right?

That'd be the most likely spot for the ACCCG winner since the OB is in the CFP, right?

i think so, if the ACC Champion is not undefeated. Out of the NY6 bowls, the Peach and the Fiesta are the only ones this year without a conference connection. The Rose is Pac 10 vs. Big 10 of course and the Sugar is SEC vs. Big 12.

247 - Peach vs. Ohio State
CBS - Peach vs. Ohio State
BR - Peach vs. Ohio State
Sporting News - Peach vs. Notre Dame
Athlon - Peach vs. Michigan
Yahoo - Cheez-It (Orlando) vs. Iowa State (State vs. Cincy in Fiesta)
USA Today - Cheez-It (Orlando) vs. Iowa State (State vs. Cincy in Fiesta)

Action Network - Gator vs. Auburn (State vs. ND in Peach)
CFN - Gator vs. A&M (Clemson vs. ND in Peach)

You really think Wake Forest is winning the ACC Championship? It has to go to Clemson on November 20th. If there’s a shot to get the Tigers and Irish together in a major bowl, it’s happening.

I really fail to see the allure of getting ND and an ACC team into a bowl game since they play ACC teams on a rotating basis and they played Clemson twice last year.

Obviously ticket sales are a big deal though.

Clemson also demolished Notre Dame in the 2018 CFP semifinals at the Cotton Bowl, 30-3.

I really fail to see the allure of getting ND and an ACC team into a bowl game since they play ACC teams on a rotating basis and they played Clemson twice last year.

Obviously ticket sales are a big deal though.

Clemson also demolished Notre Dame in the 2018 CFP semifinals at the Cotton Bowl, 30-3.

Yeah. I have no desire to play Notre Dame in a bowl game.

Yeah. I have no desire to play Notre Dame in a bowl game.

Unless WF beats the Irish. Have a big desire for that to happen. FWIW, ND is a counterfeit 5-1. They could easily be 2-4. I'm sure that ND fans think WF is a counterfeit 6-0; so, let's settle it on the field.

bowl games give you the prospect of playing someone novel. a decade ago we would've killed for ND in a bowl. it's old hat now, as funny as it is to imagine. same as all the people saying it's destiny for us to play Michigan St in a bowl this year. been there, done that.

we've gotten some great opponents in recent years (Wisconsin, TAMU, MSU), so let's keep it up.

Unless WF beats the Irish. Have a big desire for that to happen. FWIW, ND is a counterfeit 5-1. They could easily be 2-4. I'm sure that ND fans think WF is a counterfeit 6-0; so, let's settle it on the field.

Remember when everyone was going crazy that FSU took ND to overtime? That didn’t age well.

If you told FSU fans they'd take ND to OT and beat UNC on the road, they'd take it.

More Mandel on Wake

I think you briefly touched on this in a response to another question a week or two ago, but if Wake Forest were to go 13-0 and win the ACC, do you think they get into the College Football Playoff despite the ACC being unusually weak this year? — Kevin P.

Yes. No undefeated Power 5 team will ever miss the Playoff.

But also: I watched a lot of that Syracuse game. Wake’s not going 13-0.

Dave Clawson is still a genius, though.

https://theathletic.com/2885634/202...nses-run-the-show-would-mel-tucker-go-to-lsu/

It looks unlikely that I will be able to host an OG Boards meet up prior to the First Responder Bowl. I was looking forward to hosting 8-10 of my favorite posters in my backyard.

BR - Peach vs. Michigan State
Sporting News - Peach vs. Notre Dame
Athlon - Cheez-It (Orlando) vs. Texas (Pitt vs. Michigan in Peach)
Yahoo - Cheez-It (Orlando) vs. Iowa State (Pitt vs. Ole Miss in Peach)
CFN - Cheez-It (Orlando) vs. Baylor (Pitt vs. ND in Fiesta)
USA Today - Cheez-It (Orlando) vs. Baylor (Pitt vs. Cincy in Fiesta)
Action Network - Cheez-It (Orlando) vs. Baylor (Pitt vs. ND in Peach)
247 - Holiday (San Diego) vs. UCLA (Pitt vs. ND in Peach)
CBS - Holiday (San Diego) vs. UCLA (Pitt vs. ND in Peach)

Would prefer the Peach Bowl out of those projections, but really don't want to play MSU (again) or ND. Pulling UofM would be fun.

But it doesn't matter anyway since we're running the damn table.

Offical 2021-22 Bowl Projections Thread - Week 9

So the Chick-fil-A is back to being the Peach? I can’t keep up. Historically what has the Cheez-It Bowl been? Camping World? Champs Sports?

This is one of the problems of changing the sponsors every five years. I’m fine with adding a sponsor but keep the name; e.g., Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl. And while you’re at it get off my lawn!

Regardless of its actual stature in the bowl system, going to the Cheez-It Bowl would be such a kick to the dick after this season.

Back