• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke at Wake, Saturday 10/30 at ...

Wake compared to ECU as a party school I mean is somebody being serious?

Not saying it compares as a party school but Wake is also still a party school especially given it's academic standing. Whatever the equivalent of bang for you buck is in terms of partying for quality of degree, Wake has to have one of the best combos out there.

Nerds.gif

They did that in 05 for basketball (either the UNC or duke game) with alternating sections having black and gold (yellow) shirts, then the students in tie dye
The aerial photo from this game is framed in just about every administrative office on campus.

Not saying it compares as a party school but Wake is also still a party school especially given it's academic standing. Whatever the equivalent of bang for you buck is in terms of partying for quality of degree, Wake has to have one of the best combos out there.

Wake is not even close to a party school. Spend 5 mins with someone who went to an SEC school or FSU and compare notes. LOL

From what I understand, Wake is increasingly nerd life. I'm fine with that, but lets not kid ourselves. The current WF students are much closer to Duke then FSU. There are probably ~500 kids who party.

I'm a current student and based on my friends from other schools that have visited and my own experience, it is absolutely a party school (as long as you're affiliated with a Greek organization. If not it's a tough school to attend unless you're not a fan of going out). It's difficult academically but on the weekends it is definitely a party school for those that want that experience.

You feel this way because you are a student at Wake. There is a difference between a school where parties are available and you can have a great time if you want, and a PARTY SCHOOL. I partied way too much at Wake and had a great time, but by no known definition is Wake a party school. It is way too hard academically - people actually have to go to class sometimes and take tests seriously. It is way too small - there are a handful of parties on a given weekend night and not that much going on during the week - instead of endless parties on the weekend and serious parties all week. There are way too many people in the library - or the equivalent - at any given time.

Not sure if anyone noticed in Clawson's press conference how he continuously talked about duke players with the "we tried to recruit him" - "we offered him." I know he has said it in the past. But this is a small recruiting battle pitch. "Hey we are top 10 in the country but you picked Duke." Alert to future recruits, don't make that mistake.

Wake is not even close to a party school. Spend 5 mins with someone who went to an SEC school or FSU and compare notes. LOL

From what I understand, Wake is increasingly nerd life. I'm fine with that, but lets not kid ourselves. The current WF students are much closer to Duke then FSU. There are probably ~500 kids who party.

Hah isn't Wake still like 50+% Greek? Plus some of the athletes undoubtedly party plenty hard. There are probably 500 kids that blackout or come close to it multiple times a week. The study hard/party hard culture is definitely real.

When I was there ('06-'10) you could easily find some sort of party or rowdy bar atmosphere every night of the week except maybe Sundays. In my experience, Wake was significantly more of a party school than UNC or NCSU, having spent countless nights on those campuses as well (with Greek & non-Greek friends). ECU is an entirely different animal, though.

Yeah. At plenty of schools, Greek life is a small subculture that dominates one part of campus. Everybody else is working, taking care of their families, hanging out with friends, whatever. Meanwhile, Greek life is dominant at Wake.

Not sure if anyone noticed in Clawson's press conference how he continuously talked about duke players with the "we tried to recruit him" - "we offered him." I know he has said it in the past. But this is a small recruiting battle pitch. "Hey we are top 10 in the country but you picked Duke." Alert to future recruits, don't make that mistake.

Clawson seemed more upbeat and excited than I've ever seen him during one of those press conferences

A good Clawson quote is "we take good players and make them better." Duke has gotten some solid 3 and 4-star type guys in the past decade, because they are Duke and have that stupid brand. Wake football is better and we need to prove that, even if our D is led by Dylan Hazen and Quincy Bryant!

That and free tickets to the ESPN Bowl (UNC versus Duke basketball) where you can stare at your phone non-stop and act cool (look at me, I play FB for Duke and I am at the UNC v. Duke basketball game - yipppeeeeee).

Hah isn't Wake still like 50+% Greek? Plus some of the athletes undoubtedly party plenty hard. There are probably 500 kids that blackout or come close to it multiple times a week. The study hard/party hard culture is definitely real.

When I was there ('06-'10) you could easily find some sort of party or rowdy bar atmosphere every night of the week except maybe Sundays. In my experience, Wake was significantly more of a party school than UNC or NCSU, having spent countless nights on those campuses as well (with Greek & non-Greek friends). ECU is an entirely different animal, though.

This is easily the most pointless debate I've seen on these boards, but I do find it funny that people that are not current students are telling me, a current student, what Wake is like right now. To say 500 people party is comical. I've been to individual parties with close to that number of people before. Wake can essentially be broken into cohorts. Close to 15% of the school is made up of foreign students, mostly East Asian, who generally do not party. Then, about 10% of undergrads are athletes, who party separate from the rest of the school. Then, about 45% of the student body is Greek, and they would typically go out a minimum of twice a week between the occasional Wednesday, and then usually at least two of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The leftover students would be non Greek affiliated, some of whom enjoy going out to bars and parties, some of whom do not. Wake is very very different than Duke.

This is easily the most pointless debate I've seen on these boards, but I do find it funny that people that are not current students are telling me, a current student, what Wake is like right now. To say 500 people party is comical. I've been to individual parties with close to that number of people before. Wake can essentially be broken into cohorts. Close to 15% of the school is made up of foreign students, mostly East Asian, who generally do not party. Then, about 10% of undergrads are athletes, who party separate from the rest of the school. Then, about 45% of the student body is Greek, and they would typically go out a minimum of twice a week between the occasional Wednesday, and then usually at least two of Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The leftover students would be non Greek affiliated, some of whom enjoy going out to bars and parties, some of whom do not. Wake is very very different than Duke.

100% agree with that statement. Those arguing about the quality and quantity of WF social life who haven't attended WF for 10+ years need to STFU.

Also, the "party school" rankings and claims are dumb. You can party at essentially any college campus. You can find academic grinders on any college campus.

We're not necessarily telling you what it is like now. What we are telling you is that, even with your description of lots of people going out (gasp!) 2 or 3 nights a week, Wake does not qualify as a party school. No way, no how. Of course plenty of partying is happening and we are not disparaging your level of fun-ness - so no need to get defensive.

But, by definition, a party school is where huge portions of the student body are partying more than they are getting educated - parties are the focus and school is an afterthought. Typically the academics are not that challenging so there are few hindrances to the ability to party full time.

I do agree, though, that we have certainly discussed this more than is warranted. I just thought it was hilarious that someone tried to say Wake was a bigger party school than ECU...

Damn, I hope you’re right. All my life I’ve been wanting to say I went to a party school.
Of corse there was the reefer clouds in Davis House and Taylor House squares…

I mean it's pretty much by definition impossible for a school like wake to be a party school to the same extent of a big state school. There's just too much workload.

Clawson pointed out in his press conference yesterday that 80% of students have come to 2 or more games. "Need 90% to come to this game."

Back