• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2021-22 NBA Offseason Thread - Warriors extend Poole and Wiggins

Will Kevin Durant ever win another NBA championship?

i'm not sure there's a player who i would say has a >50% chance of winning another championship in their career. if i had to pick one, maybe tatum. i thought about someone super young like kuminga, but at this point there's no guarantee he plays longer than someone like tatum.

i'm not sure there's a player who i would say has a >50% chance of winning another championship in their career. if i had to pick one, maybe tatum. i thought about someone super young like kuminga, but at this point there's no guarantee he plays longer than someone like tatum.

when was the last time that you would have said yes? KD after going to the Warriors?

50% is really high

i think lebron was >50% his whole career until the westbrook trade.

prob would have said KD until fairly recently too

50% is really high but most people would place a bet on Giannis winning another championship.

I think Giannis is >50%. Probably Tatum. Probably Curry, if for no other reason that I can see him getting one in his late 30s as an off the bench shooter for someone.

40 year old Steph having his Steve Kerr moment while playing for Kerr would be pretty monte but I agree that it seems unlikely he’d hang around that long.

who is the best player to have spent much time coming off the bench?

ran through the Athletic's top 20 and all of them started pretty much every game in their career per Basketball Reference

thought maybe late-career Shaq came off the bench for PHX or Celtics but nah

who is the best player to have spent much time coming off the bench?

ran through the Athletic's top 20 and all of them started pretty much every game in their career per Basketball Reference

thought maybe late-career Shaq came off the bench for PHX or Celtics but nah

Big Shot Bob? He was a regular starter early in his career but then mostly came off the bench.

Steph and Durant still have a long runway to be a key piece on an NBA title team.

If the question is who is the most likely to be the Alpha on an NBA Championship team, Giannis is miles ahead of everyone else.

looks like D-Wade is the highest ranked guy at #28 to end his career with a significant number of games off the bench

played 139 games in his last two seasons and started five

Havlicek is one spot behind him at #29 and is the consummate sixth man, but I'm thinking more about dudes that were starters and then transitioned to the bench in the twilight of their career -- Curry would be the best ever to do that by a good bit should he go that route

Last edited:
Durant looked washed in the playoffs this year after being guarded by Tatum who looked washed in the finals. Durant has no rings in my personal record book.

It feels like if you played Durant's career out 10 times over, how it's actually played out is one of the worst trials.

how many late career hangers-on have actually ended up with a title?

dwight w/ the lakers is the only one that immediately comes to mind. maaaybe you could call jason kidd w/ the mavs.

dwight w/ the lakers is the only one that immediately comes to mind. maaaybe you could call jason kidd w/ the mavs.

Duncan if you count him as a hanger-on at 38.

Ray Allen with the Heat won 2 late in his career, when he was a side piece. FWIW, Rashard Lewis was forecasted to be a star; he won a late title with the Heat. Shawn Marion was on the Dallas team too that won it in 2011.

Depends on the criteria for a late career hanger-on. Richard Jefferson and Mo Williams were on the Cavs in 2016. The Heat LeBron teams were flooded with old dudes: Ray Allen, Mike Miller, Shane Battier, Rashard Lewis, and Juwan Howard (I'm guessing Lewis and Howard are the types you had in mind).

ETA: Pilch beat me to it.

Back