• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake at Clemson - Saturday 11/20 Game Time Speculation

I want to beat these guys 70 - 7.

I know our defense is not good but damn it, we deserve to crush them.

I predict either we crush them or they squeak one out and rush the field.

I predict either we crush them or they squeak one out and rush the field.

I mean I remember my first game as a freshman back in 2004...we took Clemson to OT at Death Valley...and they still rushed the field. And that was when we were not good.

I mean I remember my first game as a freshman back in 2004...we took Clemson to OT at Death Valley...and they still rushed the field. And that was when we were not good.

Technically Clemson has the meeting at the Paw tradition and fans were allowed on the field after every game, though it is more of a rush during any game that comes down to the wire and is a victory, and yes its a bit corny for students to constantly "rush" the field for non top 5 wins.

But if Clemson wins Saturday, I do expect a field rush. Clemson had actually changed their meet at the paw rules due to Covid and fans haven't been allowed on the field after the game for the past 2 years. They just announced this week that they are going to allow fans on the field after the game again starting on Saturday.

I fear Clemson's D shuts our O down and we dont get near our usual 35 minimum. Their line is better than State's and we had 0 break away runs, IIRC. The more Hartman has to pass, the more danger of him getting injured, too.

Well, we can count on at least one first down from a targeting penalty.

Technically Clemson has the meeting at the Paw tradition and fans were allowed on the field after every game, though it is more of a rush during any game that comes down to the wire and is a victory, and yes its a bit corny for students to constantly "rush" the field for non top 5 wins.

But if Clemson wins Saturday, I do expect a field rush. Clemson had actually changed their meet at the paw rules due to Covid and fans haven't been allowed on the field after the game for the past 2 years. They just announced this week that they are going to allow fans on the field after the game again starting on Saturday.

That is a gutsy call by CU. Maybe they have Kleenex as a Meet at the Paw postgame sponsor.

Confidence about an opportunity is great. Usually, over confidence leads to errors in execution. When opponents have not won in a venue in 33 games, if I’m the opponent I’m not inclined to get too sure about outcomes, only sure about the execution I can control. Hopefully, enough of Deacon Nation is there to keep an eye on the officiating.
I fully trust Dave Clawson to keep them grounded and to remind them of the fact that we haven't won there since 1998, ranked #10 or not. I also hope the team will be extra motivated this time since we lost immediately after breaking the top 10 for the first time in school history.

I think Wake wins because Clemson's offense is so bad and now completely injured, but Clemson's defense is elite, even with some of the defensive injuries too.

Defensive Points given up:
UGA: 3 (Pick 6 by offense)
SC State: 3
Ga Tech: 6 (2 point safety by offense)
State: 14 (13 extra points in the 2 OTs)
BC: 13
CUSE: 14
Pitt: 20 (Pick 6 by offense)
FSU: 13 (TD on strip sack fumble)
Louisville: 24 - only bad defensive game
UConn: 0 (Kickoff return for TD)

My prediction is 30-20 Wake, and I'm a Clemson grad.

This is well reasoned. I still say we win by 30.

If the team thinks this is a walkover then they’ll get beaten. I, on the other hand, don’t know a single one of our players so it’s fine for me to state the obvious - that we are a FAR better team than Clempson this year. The only thing that can stop us is if our bus bogs down on the dirt roads to get there.

I predict that Skalski will be back, twisting our guys’ knees and ankles at the bottom of the pile

I predict Perry will get flagged for OPI on a questionable call

I predict Bothroyd will get tackled from behind with a clear path to the QB - no flag

And, WF will win in spite of that

state has given up less points this season than clemson. Clemson's defense is not that great.

look, if we need a barn raised, clemson is who you call. We aren't raising a fucking barn here.

Chuckle…
I hope you are right. My prediction is that it will be a shootout that we win, because if it isn’t that means their defense has shut us down and Hartman is hurt.

This is probably the first time I can recall playing Clemson where I'm thinking that if we play well and they play well, we'll win.
We've been able to beat Clemson (with the exception of a few recent years) if we play well and they play OK to poorly, but if we both put up a good showing (based on what has been seen this year) I think we come out on top, unless Clemson really shows some offensive flash that they haven't shown all year.

looking at our 4 mutual opponents in regulation, we played each very comparably, except for FSU...we beat Louisville by 3, took Syracuse to OT, beat NC State by 3.... they beat Louisville by 6, Syracuse by 3 and took NC State to overtime.
Of course we beat FSU by 21 and they only won by 10 and they ultimately lost to NC State whereas we didn't lose to any of them.
The combined score of those games in regulation was Wake 151 vs Opp 127 and Clemson 91 vs Opp 72

Last edited:
I think Clemson is going to try and drop back into coverage exactly how NCSU did and get pressure with their front 4. I also think that's a big reason why our TE's saw more action against NCSU than most teams that can't get pressure with just 4. I'm kind of glad we were able to kick the tires on Chapman and Whiteheart, bc I think we're going to need a few plays out of them in the passing game this weekend as well.

In years past a lot of their blitzes have come off the edge bc they had fast enough guys to get out and cover WR's for 15 yards or so on the CB blitz. Hopefully Roberson and Perry are both healthy and will keep them honest out there.

Last edited:
I think Clemson is going to try and drop back into coverage exactly how NCSU did and get pressure with their front 4. I also think that's a big reason why our TE's saw more action against NCSU than most teams that can't get pressure with just 4. I'm kind of glad we were able to kick the tires on Chapman and Whiteheart, bc I think we're going to need a few plays out of them in the passing game this weekend as well.

In years past a lot of their blitzes have come off the edge bc they had fast enough guys to get out and cover WR's for 15 yards or so on the CB blitz. Hopefully Roberson and Perry are both healthy and will keep them honest out there.

Definitely need to be prepared to throw some quick passes and maybe even use Ellison as a receiver out of the backfield. I’ve LOVED being a team that just takes deep shots all over the place this year but this game is about keeping Hartman protected and moving the chains.

I think we roll Hartman out a bit. I would expect to see a lot of pressure to disrupt the mesh at the line and bat balls down. Roll Sam out to counter their expectations.

Back