• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Fire Lyle Hemphill Into the Sun (Durham) Thread

this is from before the unc game:

FDXrCfzWQAoxuck

That is a great metrics chart. Thought UGa would have been a little more slightly to the left. There O has benefitted from the D giving short fields and TOs, IMO.

That is a great metrics chart. Thought UGa would have been a little more slightly to the left. There O has benefitted from the D giving short fields and TOs, IMO.

Since the Clemson game, Georgia's lowest point total is 30 points, scoring 40 or more in 4 out of 8 of those games. Sure the defense has been instrumental, but the offense is capable of scoring points.

Giving that up against the best few offensive teams you face isn't though. Carolina's offense is explosive.

They were held to 25 points against fsu. How many possessions? 9. about 3 ppp.

UNC had 9 possessions in part because FSU didn't yield chunk plays or give up defensive penalties at nearly the rate WF did

WF allowed 27 plays of 10 yards or more (out of 78 total UNC plays), plus gave up 5 first downs with defensive penalties of 10 or 15 yards

FSU allowed 17 plays of 10 yards or more (out of 68 total UNC plays) and gave up one first down via penalty

Giving that up against the best few offensive teams you face isn't though. Carolina's offense is explosive.

They were held to 25 points against fsu. How many possessions? 9. about 3 ppp.

And a shitty VT team held them to 10 points in 11 possessions.

UNC had 9 possessions in part because FSU didn't yield chunk plays or give up defensive penalties at nearly the rate WF did

WF allowed 27 plays of 10 yards or more (out of 78 total UNC plays), plus gave up 5 first downs with defensive penalties of 10 or 15 yards

FSU allowed 17 plays of 10 yards or more (out of 68 total UNC plays) and gave up one first down via penalty
That's a factor but a much bigger factor is fsu had 3 drives that took a quarter of the game.

Also a big % of the big yardage plays we give is in those extra plays and possessions. We are undersized and not deep.

Last edited:
I think they should do away with the bend but don't break philosophy. It forces you to be on the field for long drives. Combine that with a fast offense and you get the disaster that Wake currently puts on the field.

They should press on the outside and bring the house. Call it a "boom or bust" defense instead of "bend but don't break"

If the opponent scores, then it will likely be on an explosive play instead of a long drive. That gives Wake the ball back and the defense isn't tired. If they are successful, then it is probably 3 and out or a turnover. Either way, you get to the 4th quarter and you aren't gassed.

I think they should do away with the bend but don't break philosophy. It forces you to be on the field for long drives. Combine that with a fast offense and you get the disaster that Wake currently puts on the field.

They should press on the outside and bring the house. Call it a "boom or bust" defense instead of "bend but don't break"

If the opponent scores, then it will likely be on an explosive play instead of a long drive. That gives Wake the ball back and the defense isn't tired. If they are successful, then it is probably 3 and out or a turnover. Either way, you get to the 4th quarter and you aren't gassed.

I completely agree. What do you have to lose?

They aren't making a change the week their head coach just announced they're playing in a "Championship Game".

At this post in the year and considering what’s at stake - gotta get best athletes on field on defense. Even if it means moving some offensive back-ups to defense to help team. Gonna have to be like 2006 when Kenny Moore moved to RB from WR. When you have this much at stake and it happens every 15 years- you gotta swing for fences and get more creative than most teams.

this makes a lot of logical sense to me. it’s very possible im missing something, but it doesn’t seem like we really have a defined identity on defense. i guess we hear about forcing turnovers, but not really sure what we do that goes into that. i also suppose we smaller, tweezer guys which is the trend but they aren’t particularly fast either.

from what i can gather from pressers it seems we try to exploit certain things we see but then any injuries totally messes up our gameplan (could call that suboptimization)

Everyone is correct: the defense is not good at all. The offense is incredible going fast. When you get an 18 point lead in the 3rd quarter, the clock is more important than points. Slow the game down, get your defense some rest, and reduce the number of possessions for an explosive offense like UNC.

PREDICTION:

based on my last 30 min of detective research, i think our defensive coordinator next year will be GEOFF COLLINS (current head coach at GT)

collins used to be head coach at temple and his assistant HC was ed foley who is clawsons best friend (as documented during our bowl game vs temple when he was interim HC). it seems like collins is out at GT if they can afford it.

also wonder if foley will make it to our staff at some point as well (currently with his old boss matt rhule with the panthers which apparently isn’t going swell)

We are 8-1.

Why are we talking about replacing the DC?

Because he's awful, and we don't want to fail to capitalize on historically successful offensive scheme/talent. If we had fired Lobo, how many more games/ACC championships do you think we would have won?

PREDICTION:

based on my last 30 min of detective research, i think our defensive coordinator next year will be GEOFF COLLINS (current head coach at GT)

collins used to be head coach at temple and his assistant HC was ed foley who is clawsons best friend (as documented during our bowl game vs temple when he was interim HC). it seems like collins is out at GT if they can afford it.

also wonder if foley will make it to our staff at some point as well (currently with his old boss matt rhule with the panthers which apparently isn’t going swell)

I would be surprised if Tech really fires Collins. I thought he's done a pretty decent job considering it was a complete rebuild from the option. That takes awhile.

We play so fast offensively. Very up tempo and we strike fast as well.If we go 3 and out or similar its really really fast. If we score a touchdown its really fast. The downside to that is you leave your defense on the field for much of the game. Evidenced by the 70-56 Army game with 17 minutes of possession for us. If a team has the ball 3/4ths of the game they are going to get points.

Now, that is not to say that we shouldn't be playing better defense. But it does say that our risk of getting scored upon is higher than most because the other team gets so many chances with the ball.

Everyone is correct: the defense is not good at all. The offense is incredible going fast. When you get an 18 point lead in the 3rd quarter, the clock is more important than points. Slow the game down, get your defense some rest, and reduce the number of possessions for an explosive offense like UNC.

If only we had a RB that we could ride to grind out the clock when needed. Instead we have CBS, and he was hurt, which is pretty much the same thing in the context of expecting him to grind clock for us.

If only we had a RB that we could ride to grind out the clock when needed. Instead we have CBS, and he was hurt, which is pretty much the same thing in the context of expecting him to grind clock for us.

Agreed but at least try to run 2 or 3 times while using all the clock. Maybe we get a first down, probably not. a punt is not always bad. The game just needs to slow down sometimes.

Ellison was the RB we went to even with CBS healthy in crunch time of the Louisville and Army games (though less crunchy at Army). Don't think that's really the reason. I think Rug/Claw felt, whether right or wrong, that UNC had figured out the run as the game went on the last 2 years. This year, UNC seemed to be playing a lot more zone, which makes me think the run should have been even more effective.

Back