• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Fire Lyle Hemphill Into the Sun (Durham) Thread

The Official Fire Lyle Hemphill Into the Sun Thread

The ideal DC hire is a successful DC from a fired staff who can bring his own assistants, maybe some transfers and recruits.

I’ve held my water on this subject but today broke me. DJ is bad (and he wasn’t good today either!). Swinney’s fucking kid started at WR. All they did was run (they killed us with that dumb fucking sweep), throw to TE and throw up a couple prayers. We knew all this going into the game and despite this seemed to have no game plan whatsoever to adjust to the fact half their playbook was most assuredly in the trash can. Les just posted on twitter that DJ threw 2 (!!!!) passes in the second half. Yeah we don’t have NFL guys back there, but we flat out got out-coached by a mile today

That deep free safety blitz on the long pass TD was brilliant. Who coaches tackling?

Good question. Tackling involves more than just running into the ball-carrier, apparently a technique this defense is yet to master.

Wonder if the lack of emphasis on tackling is part of the same strength/conditioning/practice regiment that is supposed to minimize injuries but leaves us with a litany of injuries to key players every year?

Why don’t we ever do something different. Go to a 5 man line, play three of our DL guys all the time. Plus how many fucking time this year has our DE especially the frosh Davis allowed the backs to get to the edge? It’s a constant problem.

Why don’t we ever do something different. Go to a 5 man line, play three of our DL guys all the time. Plus how many fucking time this year has our DE especially the frosh Davis allowed the backs to get to the edge? It’s a constant problem.

I think Davis and Wayman will be very good, just need time in the weight room and maturity.

I think Davis and Wayman will be very good, just need time in the weight room and maturity.

Right now they play like freshmen. More enthusiasm than discipline. The coaches need to get them to better understand their assignments.

Wonder if the lack of emphasis on tackling is part of the same strength/conditioning/practice regiment that is supposed to minimize injuries but leaves us with a litany of injuries to key players every year?

Not only the injury issue, but just importantly we are probably the worse tackling team I can ever remember. Was just watching highlights and loved how announcer said the Wake D really struggles with open field tackling. Understatement of the year and to me that is not so much a talent issue, but clearly a coaching /technique issue. And it’s being called out on national tv. When guys regularly try to just arm tackle instead of going into their body to wrap the runner up you have some serious coaching issues as it isn’t just one or two guys. Literally everyone does it on regular basis.

Not only the injury issue, but just importantly we are probably the worse tackling team I can ever remember. Was just watching highlights and loved how announcer said the Wake D really struggles with open field tackling. Understatement of the year and to me that is not so much a talent issue, but clearly a coaching /technique issue. And it’s being called out on national tv. When guys regularly try to just arm tackle instead of going into their body to wrap the runner up you have some serious coaching issues as it isn’t just one or two guys. Literally everyone does it on regular basis.

Most embarrassing was Andersen hitting the Clemson QB in the backfield early in the game. He hit him square and had him wrapped up. He literally bounces off the QB who then proceeds to throw for a 50 yard reception. That was pitiful.

Most embarrassing was Andersen hitting the Clemson QB in the backfield early in the game. He hit him square and had him wrapped up. He literally bounces off the QB who then proceeds to throw for a 50 yard reception. That was pitiful.

This- that was like 3rd and 8 and that miss just showed it was mens vs. boys. We wrap up there - it’s a 10 yard loss and punt. Gotta make those plays to beat Clemson in their place - forget about the noise - officiating, Senior Day, Dabo’s birthday, etc.

Need to send the team to Waterfall Field to practice with the Rugby team and learn proper technique.

I’m almost positive it was Bothroyd and then Fox that bounced off on that play. Which makes it much worse, as they’re probably our best two DL.

Time for Wake to prove it is a big time program and go money whip Brad White (and also give Warren a shitload more money).

I’m almost positive it was Bothroyd and then Fox that bounced off on that play. Which makes it much worse, as they’re probably our best two DL.

It looked like children playing against men. It clearly showed strength and lack thereof.

Kobe Pace against Gtech- 7 carries 13 yards
Kobe Pace against Wake- 24 carries 191 yards 2 TDs

It wasn't even a QB that killed us on the ground today. I am not this whole loss on the D, tough to win when giving up 7 sacks, but I am tired of our D making everyone looking like a gosh darn All-American.

Kobe Pace against Gtech- 7 carries 13 yards
Kobe Pace against Wake- 24 carries 191 yards 2 TDs

It wasn't even a QB that killed us on the ground today. I am not this whole loss on the D, tough to win when giving up 7 sacks, but I am tired of our D making everyone looking like a gosh darn All-American.

Clemson won the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense. That gave them control of the game. Clemson was +7 in net sacks, and ran for over 300 yards. Not having Jurgens at center was huge for WF, but to be fair, Clemson had far more guys out on both the offensive and defensive lines than WF. FWIW, Clemson hasn't lost a home game in five years, and that was the first time this year when Clemson came out and played with an edge from the start. It reminded me of the Miami at Clemson game last year that was hyped, and then Clemson just physically whipped the Canes from the outset. WF battled (unlike Miami last year), but Clemson played like the game meant more to them than WF did. During Dabo's post-game presser he underscored how theme of the game was "no trophy presentation for our opponent in Death Valley."

Clemson won the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense. That gave them control of the game. Clemson was +7 in net sacks, and ran for over 300 yards. Not having Jurgens at center was huge for WF, but to be fair, Clemson had far more guys out on both the offensive and defensive lines than WF. FWIW, Clemson hasn't lost a home game in five years, and that was the first time this year when Clemson came out and played with an edge from the start. It reminded me of the Miami at Clemson game last year that was hyped, and then Clemson just physically whipped the Canes from the outset. WF battled (unlike Miami last year), but Clemson played like the game meant more to them than WF did. During Dabo's post-game presser he underscored how theme of the game was "no trophy presentation for our opponent in Death Valley."

Hate on Dabo all you want but stuff like this is why he's so successful.

I just don't see how Hemphill survives this. Clawson has put together an incredibly successful offense and should return almost everyone next year. An at least mediocre defense is the missing piece. Hemphill has shown no ability to get us there.

Last edited:
Back