• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 5: Kennesaw State Owls - Tuesday 8 pm - ACCN

Mostly good things to say about this win, but we continue to be sloppy with the ball.

Why didn't Marsh get put in so late in the game? I want to see more of his game. I know what Walton and Sy can bring and what they lack. More Marsh please, especially against a scrub team. He needs the experience.

He’s coming off a concussion and Forbes mentioned last week that he has missed 13 weeks of practice including the summer when he wasn’t here yet. It’s also nice that we don’t HAVE to rush him back.

Last edited:
Mostly good things to say about this win, but we continue to be sloppy with the ball.

Why didn't Marsh get put in so late in the game? I want to see more of his game. I know what Walton and Sy can bring and what they lack. More Marsh please, especially against a scrub team. He needs the experience.

Cam continues to impress. Alondes playing great and really provides a spark every time he's out there. Nice to see Mucius involved early. LaRavia one of those guys who seemingly disappears for minutes at a time and next thing you know he has 15 points. Williamson is clearly the best PG out there-- Whitt will be a solid contributor in year 3, I think, but not this year unless something clicks. It's important to realize he's still really just the age of a freshman.

If you think about it, if Whitt had just showed up on campus he would have some trouble getting on the floor, but the 'free' freshman year last year makes him a contributor on this team.

Hildreth is a 19 year old freshman. Williams and Williamson are actually seniors or grads so most experienced. I'm not sure if this was Whitt's pure freshman year if he'd be in the rotation as much (we needed him last year but he was still very raw).

Oh definitely. And I’m guessing Forbes knew all this and that was his pitch to get him to come last year.

If you think about it, if Whitt had just showed up on campus he would have some trouble getting on the floor, but the 'free' freshman year last year makes him a contributor on this team.

Hildreth is a 19 year old freshman. Williams and Williamson are actually seniors or grads so most experienced. I'm not sure if this was Whitt's pure freshman year if he'd be in the rotation as much (we needed him last year but he was still very raw).

Agreed. I know it's hard for him personally to see his role so diminished but as a freshman he should hopefully understand that with this roster he should appreciate anything more than a few minutes a game. He'll continue to improve and as he gets stronger and more experienced he'll become an important player in future years. Hildreth is already an important player and will also continue to improve. McCray has a long way to go in turning his athleticism into a good basketball player but he should get to ACC rotation level as well.

Probably best remembered for the halfcourt shot at the end of 1H in the 2017 ACC tournament game against VPI?

More like full court, right at the end of the first half. Got the rebound of a missed free throw, tossed it the length the court-- nothing but net. No time left on the clock after the shot. Turned and walked off the floor like he did it every day. I believe it was the only 3 point shot of his career. Wake had a small lead at half time. Lost the game. Probably was VaTech. I don't remember that.

Deacons played well tonight. The defense didn't look great but the numbers were good. Best rebounding of the season. Five players in double figures. Walton and Sy performed well at the five. Laravia was outstanding. Mucius brought the juice early and Williams had a dynamic second half. The ball moved the entire game.

Cam Hildreth had a great first half replacing Williams. Didn't miss a shot, contributing 9 points, 2 boards, 2 assists and a steal in 17 minutes. Strong defense. Stepped up replacing the teams leading scorer/playmaker when needed.

Sports marketing needs to figure out a way to get butts in seats. 3,500 last night. Remember when 6,500 was a small crowd? Apparently it will take longer than expected to recover from the Bz/DMan hangover.

Just win! :thumbsup:

Fans are starved from the decade of buzz and paint touches suckitude. They will come.

Sports marketing needs to figure out a way to get butts in seats. 3,500 last night. Remember when 6,500 was a small crowd? Apparently it will take longer than expected to recover from the Bz/DMan hangover.

It doesn't seem like they are doing as much to offer deals like they did with football. The 4 seats plus parking for the early football games was a great deal. I didn't seem them do anything like this for basketball. And weeknight games against bad opponents are just tough. I have only been to 1 of the first games and that was the one on a Friday night against WCU. I had work commitments on all the other nights.

Not sure I disagree with keeping 90% of the marketing effort on football through the end of the season before shifting it to basketball. Hopefully Forbes will notch a couple upsets and have some buzz going just when the less hardcore Wake fans are looking for something to focus on next. Our first actual home game that matters isn't until January 4th.

Wake may have dramatically improved their capabilities in sporting events and marketing, but they're still finite resources. Wouldn't want to see any efforts towards football watered down.

The casual fans have completely given up on wake basketball and i can't blame them. We see the improvement and the work Forbes is putting in but most people aren't paying attention yet. Beating a few cupcakes at the beginning of the season isn't going to do much to move the needle. We'll see stronger crowds during ACC play and if we keep winning people will come. The football team's success shows that our students will support a winner.

Not sure I disagree with keeping 90% of the marketing effort on football through the end of the season before shifting it to basketball. Hopefully Forbes will notch a couple upsets and have some buzz going just when the less hardcore Wake fans are looking for something to focus on next. Our first actual home game that matters isn't until January 4th.

Wake may have dramatically improved their capabilities in sporting events and marketing, but they're still finite resources. Wouldn't want to see any efforts towards football watered down.

I’m on board with this. Great football season, big home games, lots of national attention. Let’s reallocate the resources to basketball once we start playing some higher quality games. You’re only getting so many people out to see us play Kennesaw State the week of Thanksgiving no matter how much we promote it.

We lost 99-90. Zach LeDay had 31/15 for VT.

We had beat them 89-84 the previous Saturday @ VT.

Back