• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 5: Kennesaw State Owls - Tuesday 8 pm - ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
The undefeated Deacs conclude their five game homestand (3-1 ATS so far...) this Tuesday against the Kennesaw State Owls. Here's a look at the Owls:

The Coach: In his third season, Amir Abdur-Rahim leads the Owls into Winston. If that name sounds familiar, his brother is Shareef Abdur-Rahim (former 13 year NBA player and current President of the G League). Amir and Shareef are two of 12 kids in the Abdur-Rahim family -- Atlanta Basketball Royalty (6 Abdur-Rahim brothers played college basketball). Amir replaced former BC coach Al Skinner when he took the Kennesaw State job in 2019. Amir inherited a hot mess as KSU went 1-28 in 2020 (#352). The Owls improved to 5-19 (#335) last year, and played the best basketball to end last season. This year, KSU returns 94% of its minutes from last season (#22 in the NCAA), and added a couple of transfers. The Owls are projected to finish in the bottom half of the Atlantic Sun conference (the conference that Liberty dominates). Prior to KSU, Amir assisted under Tom Crean at UGA and Billy Kennedy at Texas A&M.

The Owls 2021-22: The #279 Owls bring a 2-3 record to Tuesday game, but those two KSU wins were over Piedmont and Carver -- non-D1 teams. While the Owls are 0-3 in their games against D-1 teams, Kennesaw has generally played competitive tilts to open the season. KSU started the year with a 84-73 loss at #111 Iowa State, and followed that game with a 51-44 rock fight at #64 Creighton (the Owls led 24-22 at the half). After dominating two non-D1 teams, this past Friday, the Owls dropped a 97-78 contest to #61 Belmont. To date, KSU has struggled offensively (#304 in offensive efficiency), but the Owls have been proficient at the foul line (#60 in FTA per FGA and #55 in FT% - 77%). Other than taking advantage from the foul line, the offense can't put the ball in the basket (28% from 3 -- #271; 43% from 2 - #288; 42.6% effective FG% - #306). Up until the Belmont game, the Owls defense (#237 in KP defensive efficiency) had been solid, including holding Creighton to .77 points per possession, and 1 for 19 from 3. Belmont played a flawless offensive game to beat KSU last Friday (60% from 2; 40% from 3; 92% from the line; 22 assists/9 TOs). After WF, Kennesaw plays the Deacs' most recent opponent, Charleston Southern, on Sunday.

KSU Lineup:

The starters:

PG 5-10 Jr. Terrell Burden: 3rd year in the program; scored 21 against Iowa State and 19 against Belmont; struggles from 3: 15% for his career; 14% on the season
SG 6-4 Sr. Spencer Rodgers: Started at Troy; leads KSU in scoring and three point attempts; shot 36% from 3 last year, but only 3 for 16 this year
G/F 6-4 So. Chris Youngblood: 12 ppg against D1 teams; leads team in steals, 2nd in assists; 88% from the line
F 6-6 So. Brandon Stroud: offensive non-factor, 2 ppg, 29% FG%
C 6-8 Jr. Demond Robinson; big man - 264 pounds; Murray State transfer; leads team in rebounds and blocks; doesn't shoot the 3 (0 for 2 in college career)

The bench:

G 6-3 So. Kasen Jennings: 16 points against Belmont; 42% from 3; 90% from the line
F/C 6-7 Sr. Alex Peterson: not a scorer -- 2.5 ppg; 0-4 in his career from 3
G 6-1 Jamir Moultrie: NCCU transfer; 12 points in 13 minutes (3 for 3 from deep) against Iowa State; injured; played briefly against Belmont, his status for tomorrow has not been announced

The Takeaway: KP projects a 78-63 WF win. Kennesaw is an improving program that has played two teams rated higher than WF (#64 Creighton and #61 Belmont), and managed to stay competitive in both games (Belmont was eventually able to stretch the lead). Looks like KSU will adopt whatever tempo that their opponent plays as they played fast paced games against Iowa State and Belmont, and then played a half court game against Creighton. The key to the margin of victory will be turnovers. WF has been effective at forcing TOs (the Deacs are #18 in the nation in defensive TO%), while KSU has struggled to take care of the ball (#252 in offensive TO%). If the Deacs can force TOs, Deacs should win and cover; if KSU can avoid giving up easy baskets and slow the pace of the game, the Owls may stay within striking distance. Also, WF holds size advantages at every spot on the floor and KSU has struggled to defend the paint, allowing D-1 opponents to shoot 62% from 2 against them; WF needs to take the ball to the basket rather than settle for jump shots. A little concerned about a stale effort as WF is now playing its 5th straight weak foe at home and the team may be looking ahead to a set of very tough and more high-profile games after KSU. The best news about this game: WF finally has a game that is available on the ACCN - not ESPN+ or ACCNX; this game will be broadcast on the conference's network. Hooray.

Last edited:
We win.

It may not be as pretty as some of the other games, but I have no real basis for saying that other than gut feeling. Agree with Pilchard that it may just be the team going through the motions a bit ahead of some tougher competition.

Will wait to wager on us vs. Oregon State.

Forbes pregame press conference was awesome. We got us a coach.

Come see this team! They deserve our support especially now that football is done with home games. 8:00 is a really convenient tip time and with smaller crowds in the Joel so far this year it's easy to get in and out right before and after the game. Tickets are cheap through the Athletic Department and if you wanted to sit int he first two or three rows you can do that for less than $30 a ticket on Stubhub.

Come see this team! They deserve our support especially now that football is done with home games. 8:00 is a really convenient tip time and with smaller crowds in the Joel so far this year it's easy to get in and out right before and after the game. Tickets are cheap through the Athletic Department and if you wanted to sit int he first two or three rows you can do that for less than $30 a ticket on Stubhub.

You can get $10 flex tickets through the school and sit in the first few rows.

Refreshing to not hear the coach keep repeating paint touches over and over again.

Last edited:
I will not make the game but can email my 2 tickets to someone if they would like them.

Wake Forest -17

I'll pass and wait for a single digit line against Oregon State to really load up.

Wake Forest -17

I'll pass and wait for a single digit line against Oregon State to really load up.

I could see Kennesaw getting backdoor cover. Wake is up 20+ late in 2nd half and Forbes plays odd combinations/empties the bench and Kennesaw makes a mini run for the cover.

This game should be a great opportunity to see more Matthew Marsh. Finding a guy that big who can play would be huge for success this season.

I think Marsh absolutely dominates tonight, unless Forbes wants to play smaller with Sy at the 5 to matchup with Kennesaw playing a quicker lineup. If we post up Marsh against a 6'8" center he's gonna go to town.

I think Marsh absolutely dominates tonight, unless Forbes wants to play smaller with Sy at the 5 to matchup with Kennesaw playing a quicker lineup. If we post up Marsh against a 6'8" center he's gonna go to town.

I would expect Forbes to do some of both. That is, have Sy at the 5 to work a quick, small lineup. Also have Marsh out there to post up on a small center and see how well he plays D against a smaller guy. If Marsh shows he can D up smaller guys, that would be a big plus for the team.
H

8pm with many people not working tomorrow. Local fans need to make an effort to be there tonight! Let's go support this team.

WFUNME, daughter in from dc so i would like to accept at least 1 of those. PMed you.

I would expect Forbes to do some of both. That is, have Sy at the 5 to work a quick, small lineup. Also have Marsh out there to post up on a small center and see how well he plays D against a smaller guy. If Marsh shows he can D up smaller guys, that would be a big plus for the team.
H

Walton still the starter for now but we will see how it plays out if we have 3 to choose from moving forward. I dont expect it to change for a while unless production continues to differ by a lot.

Back