• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Mark Turgeon & Maryland part ways; Danny Manning is interim coach

Maryland Kenpom is crashing. I would say it is hard to believe a coach could have such an immediate negative impact, but I lived through the Manning years.

Here is what I am asking myself. How great was that Tulsa team of his? They won 11 in a row to finish the season before losing in the NCAA tournament. Most of those wins were not even close. Top 100 kenpom. With a real coach that’s an all time great team!

Manning was very successful at times in his career. He may be successful later. None of that affects how he did here. Not that it is a one for one comparison, but Jim Caldwell was generally not seen as a successful coach at Wake, but his NFL career after Wake was certainly productive. Doesn't change his record at Wake.

I’m a colts fan. Caldwell sucked.

did the real reason turgeon quit ever come out?

I’m a colts fan. Caldwell sucked.

Really. He had one bad year after Manning left and the Colts fired him. Then he led the Lions to the best stretch they’ve had in years.

Have always loved Coach Caldwell and wonder what he could’ve accomplished at MSD with staff continuity and current facilities.

Have always loved Coach Caldwell and wonder what he could’ve accomplished at MSD with staff continuity and current facilities.

Jim was a great guy and organizer. He just couldn't recruit what was needed to win with his system. MHO....

Jim was a great guy and organizer. He just couldn't recruit what was needed to win with his system. MHO....

He also was coaching at a school that really didn't give a shit about football at the time. Groves was a dump, the practice facilities were bare, and he had his hands tied with the recruits.

Really. He had one bad year after Manning left and the Colts fired him. Then he led the Lions to the best stretch they’ve had in years.

This. The problem late in his tenure with the Colts was that Polian had lost his magic touch as he aged, and their last 5-6 drafts sucked. So what they had was Manning and then Luck propping up mediocre rosters otherwise, and you got to see how bad that roster was the year Manning got hurt. Neither Caldwell nor Pagano were the problem there - it was late Polian and Grigson. They've drafted much better since they got Ballard.

And I agree that Caldwell's tenure with Detroit was underrated. They had Stafford, Megatron, no OL or running game and a crap defense. They were also the most penalized team under Schwartz. He cleaned up the penalties and accountability and got them to the playoffs 2 out of his 4 years. Detroit's ongoing problem for 20+ years was bad drafting by like 4 terrible GMs in a row. I think they might finally have a competent GM in Holmes.

Good coach and even better person. But his system was a key reason he didn't win more at Wake.

Attempting to implement a pro-style Penn State offense with the overall talent being recruited in the early and mid-90's was a recipe for disaster.

Good coach and even better person. But his system was a key reason he didn't win more at Wake.

Attempting to implement a pro-style Penn State offense with the overall talent being recruited in the early and mid-90's was a recipe for disaster.
Agree. Caldwell was actually a pretty good recruiter. Grobe had a lot of success with guys like Calvin Pace, T Williams, Kellen Brantley, John Stone, etc. Gentleman Jim is a super nice guy and he connected with his players on a personal level in a way that Grobe didn’t, but lack of dedication to facilities is not why he didn’t succeed at Wake. We went entire games where it felt like we had three first downs the entire game. I can remember rooting for first downs like we won the Super Bowl. Caldwell is a good NFL coach. He was awful at Wake.

Yeah. He was a young head coach getting his first shot in a tough situation. He did what anybody should do when they have a career setback. He found a great mentor in Dungy and stuck with him and resurrected his career. Never thought I'd ever want Caldwell to coach my team but I'd love for him to coach the Panthers right now.

Agree. Caldwell was actually a pretty good recruiter. Grobe had a lot of success with guys like Calvin Pace, T Williams, Kellen Brantley, John Stone, etc. Gentleman Jim is a super nice guy and he connected with his players on a personal level in a way that Grobe didn’t, but lack of dedication to facilities is not why he didn’t succeed at Wake. We went entire games where it felt like we had three first downs the entire game. I can remember rooting for first downs like we won the Super Bowl. Caldwell is a good NFL coach. He was awful at Wake.

I know some guys who played under Caldwell. They all say he tended to panic and abandon his game plan early. Also, he didn't stick to the "bigger, stronger" part of his promise. Strength and conditioning declined. I'm sure we all remember the App State game with all our guys cramping and puking on the field.

I know some guys who played under Caldwell. They all say he tended to panic and abandon his game plan early. Also, he didn't stick to the "bigger, stronger" part of his promise. Strength and conditioning declined. I'm sure we all remember the App State game with all our guys cramping and puking on the field.

Vividly. The guys from up on the mountain didn't seem to have the same issue.

Totally screwed the best team the colts ever had. He's awful.

Can we get back to laughing at Maryland here?
Manning just can’t keep assistant coaches, even when he’s an assistant.

One Maryland fan:

Sheehan's take that if we fired Turge last year we would risk becoming Wake might be his all time "Turge take"

We kept Turge and still became Wake, right down to having Danny ******** Manning as our head coach!

Hey, they're Pitt now!

I remember 7 years ago or so when Auburn was often mentioned in the same sentence as Wake Forest as the worst power five teams. What Bruce Pearl has been able to do there doesn't seem to be talked about enough. Wellman would never have done it, but I wonder if Curry would have brought him in had he been running the show. It would have continued our trend of benefitting from Tennessee's mistakes.

Last edited:
Maryland up on #17 Illinois at half and everyone here would have enjoyed halftime commentating how Terps are winning points in the paint! Don’t give up yet Danny!

Maryland up on #17 Illinois at half and everyone here would have enjoyed halftime commentating how Terps are winning points in the paint! Don’t give up yet Danny!

Do I want a team ranked ahead of us to lose or Danny and Maryland? It’s a tough call. Luckily one will happen.

Back