• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Electric Vehicles

Sounds like anxiety I don’t need and I should just bite the bullet and get a Dodge Challenger

The used values on my 2015 Audi A6 are rapidly approaching what I paid for it 4 years ago, and the maintenance ain’t gonna get any cheaper.

We have a 2018 Ford Fusion PHEV. We like it, but are looking at going to a BEV. The PHEV gives us roughly 16 miles of EV before switching to hybrid, and we've been averaging 45mpg per tank.

Thanks for all the comments on this thread, it's been very enlightening.

I was visiting my daughter's family near Tampa over Christmas. Returning yesterday I DVR'd the Wake game and watched last night. Great being able to run through the commercials. While driving north on I-75 I stopped at an exit and had a conversation with a Tesla owner. He was driving to Ohio. I asked if he got "range anxiety" and he said on a long trip it can be an issue as he always tries to find the Tesla quick chargers if possible. He did say inoperable chargers are a pain in the ass. He was planning to overnight at a hotel with chargers and charge overnight. One other issue with electrics is the charging cable. Toyota, Volvo, Ford, GM and there are others use the JT1772 charger connection. Tesla has their own dedicated charger and one has to have a Tesla to JT-1772 adapter charger for the above cars to use Tesla chargers. The Tesla Super Chargers can only be used with the Tesla Charger and is dedicated to Tesla only. JT-1772 does not work with the Tesla Super Chargers. These super chargers supposedly charge a Tesla to 80% capacity in about 30 mins versus about 2 hours on their regular chargers. Nissan and some other mfgs. use another charger which I am not familiar, believe it is CHAD... or something. Reminds me of the old video tape days with the VHS and Beta formats. Would have been great if the industry would have settled on one system. The JT-1772 charger adapter for Tesla price starts about $80 on Amazon I believe.

So, we just placed an order for a 2022 Mustang Mach E. It should be here in roughly 20 weeks.

There's a 2021 Mach E GT that is coming into the dealership this week, and the guy who ordered it is most likely going to back out, and we've been given first dibs if he does. Totally possible we may have one by next weekend.

So, we just placed an order for a 2022 Mustang Mach E. It should be here in roughly 20 weeks.

There's a 2021 Mach E GT that is coming into the dealership this week, and the guy who ordered it is most likely going to back out, and we've been given first dibs if he does. Totally possible we may have one by next weekend.

Haha man I've been trying to talk myself out of just doing this too, you're not making it easy. Easier for me to order one of these than find a PHEV I want at this point (the RAV4 prime was the top of my list, followed by the Crosstrek).

Keep us updated, interested to hear what you think about it.

Haha man I've been trying to talk myself out of just doing this too, you're not making it easy. Easier for me to order one of these than find a PHEV I want at this point (the RAV4 prime was the top of my list, followed by the Crosstrek).

Keep us updated, interested to hear what you think about it.
The dealership we went to had no markup, so the MSRP was the dealer invoice price. According to the salesman, they lose $10 on every Mach E sale, but get it back in Ford dealership incentives.

We went with the 2022 AWD Extended Battery Premium over the California Route 1 or GT. We really liked the GT, but didn't like the 14k price over the Premium. The Route 1 just didn't look as good IMO. It'll come with a level 1 and level 2 charger, which is perfect considering I already have a 60 amp outlet in our garage for the welder. It'll be Mrs TSY's, so she's pretty stoked.

I talked to him about ordering the F150 Lightning. He said they've already got 160 ordered for customers, but only expect 2-3 to be delivered in the next year. He anticipated the Lighning rollout to be 10x the cluster fuck of the Bronco rollout.

The dealership we went to had no markup, so the MSRP was the dealer invoice price. According to the salesman, they lose $10 on every Mach E sale, but get it back in Ford dealership incentives.

We went with the 2022 AWD Extended Battery Premium over the California Route 1 or GT. We really liked the GT, but didn't like the 14k price over the Premium. The Route 1 just didn't look as good IMO. It'll come with a level 1 and level 2 charger, which is perfect considering I already have a 60 amp outlet in our garage for the welder. It'll be Mrs TSY's, so she's pretty stoked.

I talked to him about ordering the F150 Lightning. He said they've already got 160 ordered for customers, but only expect 2-3 to be delivered in the next year. He anticipated the Lighning rollout to be 10x the cluster fuck of the Bronco rollout.

Nice yeah it seems like most dealerships are willing to let em go for basically MSRP (incentives make a lot more sense). That's pretty much the exact config I was eying too. I love the GT but that's a steep price step up indeed. I wish I could get the GT grill/design on a premium trim.

Nice yeah it seems like most dealerships are willing to let em go for basically MSRP (incentives make a lot more sense). That's pretty much the exact config I was eying too. I love the GT but that's a steep price step up indeed. I wish I could get the GT grill/design on a premium trim.
For sure, I really want that grill. But, not willing to pay the steep price increase for the grill and less mileage on the battery due to the increased performance.

Your build is my Mach E, but I have a 2021. If it’s your first EV, I think you’ll be very pleased with the transition.

One feature that it has that some EVs don’t is a built in nav system that automatically adds charging stops if necessary. Tesla pioneered this and Ford’s rollout last year was glitchy, but the system has gotten pretty good. My wife and I were chatting about it on our road trip today. We both agreed that we wouldn’t buy an EV without it going forward.

Your build is my Mach E, but I have a 2021. If it’s your first EV, I think you’ll be very pleased with the transition.

One feature that it has that some EVs don’t is a built in nav system that automatically adds charging stops if necessary. Tesla pioneered this and Ford’s rollout last year was glitchy, but the system has gotten pretty good. My wife and I were chatting about it on our road trip today. We both agreed that we wouldn’t buy an EV without it going forward.
One of the things we really liked is the GPS battery integration. It'll suggest charging locations based upon your planned trip, which will be very handy on our upcoming trip to Tampa.

Damnit, the Mrs has been watching YouTube videos on the GT and I think we are leaning towards taking the GT if available. When the ordered Mach E comes in, we may try to sell the GT if we like the other better.

Resale value on the Mach Es are currently higher than the order price due to the lack of availability.

One of the things we really liked is the GPS battery integration. It'll suggest charging locations based upon your planned trip, which will be very handy on our upcoming trip to Tampa.

Damnit, the Mrs has been watching YouTube videos on the GT and I think we are leaning towards taking the GT if available. When the ordered Mach E comes in, we may try to sell the GT if we like the other better.

Resale value on the Mach Es are currently higher than the order price due to the lack of availability.

Yeah, honestly, I was just looking, and a base GT is only like 3k more than the premium w/ the AWD extended.. the real dinger is if you wanna get the upgraded bluecruise package (which is on the premium) it forces you to add the moonroof, so that's a decent chunk of change for those two items.

I feel like the GPS + charging station route planning should be mandatory on BEVs, kinda wild that every car manufacturer isn't attempting to include something like that.

Yeah, honestly, I was just looking, and a base GT is only like 3k more than the premium w/ the AWD extended.. the real dinger is if you wanna get the upgraded bluecruise package (which is on the premium) it forces you to add the moonroof, so that's a decent chunk of change for those two items.
We typically don't like to buy a first year model, but damn that GT is sexy. This one is fully loaded with every option available for the '21, and is currently 3k less than an ordered '22 GT with similar options.

I have a feeling if the other guy backs out, we'll have the GT this week. As odd as this sounds, I'll post a review on the farm YouTube channel whenever we get one.

We have a trip to Tampa planned in a few weeks, so if we get it, I'll be able to test out the mid trip charging.

We typically don't like to buy a first year model, but damn that GT is sexy. This one is fully loaded with every option available for the '21, and is currently 3k less than an ordered '22 GT with similar options.

I have a feeling if the other guy backs out, we'll have the GT this week. As odd as this sounds, I'll post a review on the farm YouTube channel whenever we get one.

We have a trip to Tampa planned in a few weeks, so if we get it, I'll be able to test out the mid trip charging.

Haha yes, awesome, I was wondering how a GT Mach E would fit in with #farmlife. :p

Anybody know where tsy is headed in a few weeks? He hasn’t mentioned it.

We just took the Tesla to the bowl game and were pretty comfortable with their nav suggestions. It makes recommendations based on the car’s actual usage and how much you’ll need to charge at a minimum each stop. The supercharger network along I95 was solid and the hotel even had a destination charger available (when non EVs didn’t keep parking in front of it). Kinda sucked adding an extra hour or so each way to the drive with the charge times but we had little kids along so we needed the stops tbh and that’s my life now as a dad EV or not.

I’ve been to Tampa and Orlando from SC in the last month. I like the Electrify America chargers because of reliability and plug and charge capability. I tend to prefer the Walmart locations to something more exciting because they are easier to get in and out. That being said, the Florida Mall in Orlando has a good food court and is pretty nice. The Avenues Mall in Jax is more cramped, has fewer plugs, and is a more miserable experience.

So how far away are we from gas stations widely adopting charging stations? It makes too much sense.

Back