• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 30: Louisville @ LJVM - 7 pm Saturday - ACCN

Pilchard

Reaction score
2021-22 Season Update: A lot has changed since WF lost at L'ville 73-69 on December 29. Initially, it wasn't all bad for the Cards as they ascended into 1st place in the conference on January 5th with a 4-0 record 10-4 overall. Then, the bottom dropped out of the L'ville season. Since January 5th, the Cards are 2-11 as the they have only been able to manage home wins over BC (67-54) and Clemson (70-61). During that awful stretch, L'ville is 0-6 on the ACC road having lost @: FSU, NC State (by 16), Pitt (by 12), UVA (by 12), Cuse (by 23), ND (by 6) and UNC (by 6). Oh yeah, in the middle of the slide, on January 26, they also fired HC Chris Mack and assistant Mike Pegues has led the Cards since that move. The firing hasn't changed L'ville's fortunes as Pegues has a 1-6 record since taking over the job. That said, the Cards have been more competitive over their last 4 games: 6 point road loss to ND, 7 point home loss to Miami, 9 point win over Clemson, 7 point road loss to UNC (it was a 1 point game with less than 3 minutes to go). So, it appears that the team has not quit under Pegues.

L'ville - Roster Update: : Reserve Matt Cross has missed the last two games for L'ville. Coach Pegues has changed the Cardinals starting lineup recently. Against UNC, L'ville started: 5-11 Jarrod West, 6-3 El Ellis (played only 3 minutes against WF in December), 6-5 Dre Davis (scoreless against WF in December), 6-8 Jae-Lyn Withers (17 minutes and 6 points against WF), and 6-11 Malik Williams (benched to start February; has played well recently; hit a key 3 to beat WF in December). Williams, Withers and Davis led the Cards in scoring all with 10 points against UNC on Monday.

Projection: KP projects an easy 76-65 WF win on Saturday in 70 possessions. Hope so. Crazy projected line swing from the first game as WF was a 5 point dog (WF covered) at L'ville in December, and WF is projected to be a double digit favorite (-11) at home on Saturday. Even factoring home court, the 16 point swing since game 1 is very unusual. Then again, L'ville is 2-8 on the road this year, having loss their last 6 road games in a row with no loss closer than 6 points. OTOH, WF is 14-2 at home this year, and has the 14th best home court advantage in all of college basketball according to KP. Guessing that Coach Forbes will have his team ready to play on Saturday after WF's worst loss of the season to Clemson yesterday. Given how L'ville has fallen off the table, this is a game where WF has more to lose than it does to gain as a win over the #126 team doesn't help a lot, but a loss would be devastating. Think WF will win; not comfortable with WF laying double digits given that L'ville has been competitive lately.

Last edited:
The way we played last night, I wouldn't feel comfortable playing a Big South team.

Volatility is the nature of sports generally and college basketball in particular. This past week, UNC played its worst game of the year and got blown out at home to lowly Pitt. Next game, UNC won easily at VT, and Pitt lost at home to GT. Recency bias is probably the most common mistake when trying to determine future outcomes.

In theory would should take care of them. Thanks to the Clemson debacle, this game is now a must win for Wake. Since we've been on the bubble all year and when the season has been on the line the last 4 games, where we went 3-4, Wake will be coming in with all the pressure on it. L'ville has nothing to lose, they can play loose and if we let them get started early, it could be another butt clincher for Wake.

Looks like Wake -9.

Time to flip the mood. Vibes!

Aware of some sharp action on L'ville. It's based on Sy being likely out, and L'ville playing better of late (i.e., losing close). Would love a blowout, but assuming Sy is out, before making a financial investment on this game, would need to know that whatever the bug was that impacted WF on Wednesday has run its course. Really don't need to see Jake in sweats wearing a mask behind WF's bench at tipoff.

So we officially decided it was Mako's fault we lost to Clemson. I can get on board with this.
Yeah there was a sweet thread on it.

If there's a single thread with the penultimate post from 2020 on the front page tomorrow, were screwed.

Wait, what??....

Forbes wants to leave Wake to coach in lewisville's 20k+ seating arena?? :dumb:

Where are you seeing that? I saw only 1 lower level ticket for tonight on Stubhub that was anywhere close to that price and it was $26.

Don't let facts stand in the way of his narrative.

It's the reason so many people have tuned him out over the years. He absolutely is a die hard Deacon fan. And his points about a smaller arena are very valid. But making points with straw men and made up bullshit lends him very little credibility.

Last edited:
Wait, what??....

Forbes wants to leave Wake to coach in lewisville's 20k+ seating arena?? :dumb:

I love Coach and want him at Wake forever. But if he's ready to bolt for that dumpster fire after two seasons at Wake- good luck with that.

Lowers under $20 on stubhub already for the last two home games.

Is Forbes coaching against his next team?

https://www.si.com/college/louisville/.amp/basketball/coaching-candidate-profile-steve-forbes

Not much interesting or concerning about that link.

Forbes will be a candidate for pretty much every opening this year. I doubt he goes anywhere yet. I suspect he’ll at least want to see what this year’s improvement means on the recruiting trail, for fan enthusiasm, and where he can ultimately take the program.

And Currie is going to want to keep him around.

Not much interesting or concerning about that link.

Forbes will be a candidate for pretty much every opening this year. I doubt he goes anywhere yet. I suspect he’ll at least want to see what this year’s improvement means on the recruiting trail, for fan enthusiasm, and where he can ultimately take the program.

And Currie is going to want to keep him around.

Currie should have the $upport he needs to do that.

Back