• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread - Wine and beer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fell asleep before the game even started.

Seriously. I happily fell asleep watching Modern Marvels history of aluminum and didn’t give a shit about stressing about a no win duke vs Carolina game.

Also, if it clarifies things, I still remember where I was the days that duke lost to Lehigh and Mercer in the tournament.

When Dean Smith retired, I was eleven years old and probably worshipping Duncan and Childress and Rusty and watching Rodney Rogers get his jersey retired at the Joel. I can't remember when exactly Roy retired because he didn't make a big deal out of it.

Weird dukie sympathy on these boards. Disgusting

Amen

Seriously. I happily fell asleep watching Modern Marvels history of aluminum and didn’t give a shit about stressing about a no win duke vs Carolina game.

Modern Marvels is awesome.

I just looked over and my kid is drawing a picture of the devil. We’re in the second row of church today.

Modern Marvels is awesome.

I just looked over and my kid is drawing a picture of the devil. We’re in the second row of church today.
One time, in high school church youth group, townie and I made a mix cd of songs about the devil and gave it to our youth leader.

Not sure why we thought that was clever or that he wouldn't notice, but lol

One time, in high school church youth group, townie and I made a mix cd of songs about the devil and gave it to our youth leader.

Not sure why we thought that was clever or that he wouldn't notice, but lol

At the church I grew up in we used to have a college seminary student as a summer youth pastor every year until the summer before my senior year when I started dating one and she decided to leave the path to priesthood and our church decided that it would be best to abandon that whole practice.

At the church I grew up in we used to have a college seminary student as a summer youth pastor every year until the summer before my senior year when I started dating one and she decided to leave the path to priesthood and our church decided that it would be best to abandon that whole practice.

We get it, mako. You’re hot.

Also those of you who are in tears of joy because Carolina won better hope they lose tomorrow because if they win a natty you are to blame

I'm starting to think that there's some insidious class politics at play here with you secret dukie sympathizers.

Anyone who wakes up today saying gee I wish Ratface had won needs to re-examine their life

ChatThreadMania XCVIII

I'm starting to think that there's some insidious class politics at play here with you secret dukie sympathizers.

There’s class politics at play. Those of us who grew up lower class and middle class in NC grew up hating UNC. We knew a few Morehead scholars. Our Facebook feeds are sky blue when the Holes win. And a lot of us went to Wake when it was affordable.

But out of state rich kids hate Duke more. Probably had their heart set on Duke and didn’t get in which embarrassed their parents at the country club. They don’t know UNC grads and rarely interact with bandwagon fans so they consider UNC fans to be harmless poors. They probably got beat out by a Duke grad for promotion to one of the 50 VP positions at their firm.

Last edited:
There’s class politics at play. Those of us who grew up lower class and middle class in NC grew up hating UNC. We knew a few Morehead scholars. Our Facebook feeds are sky blue when the Holes win. And a lot of us went to Wake when it was affordable.

But out of state rich kids hate Duke more. Probably had their heart set on Duke and didn’t get in which embarrassed their parents at the country club. They don’t know UNC grads and rarely interact with bandwagon fans so they consider UNC fans to be harmless poors. They probably got beat out by a Duke grad for promotion to one of the 50 VP positions at their firm.

This doesn't track with my experience at all (like, at all), but I suppose it could be generational.

Everybody I grew up with in Winston hates Duke. Across racial and class backgrounds. Transplants and townies. To this day, I don't know a single Duke fan (outside of a disturbing number of you, it seems???). I have a relative to who went to Duke for undergrad and even she hates Duke sports.

I was raised that you have your team and you hate the others. That's the conventional Tobacco Road fandom, from what I understand. None of this flex nonsense lol. Unfortunately, I was born into being a Wake fan.

UNC and Duke basketball can both go to hell. State, too, but they don't matter at present.

also, you didn't grow up with Facebook so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything LOL

I knew a ton of UNC grads growing up because my family didn't belong to country clubs, and whatever else y'all wealthy folks do socially in NC, where all the Duke grads hang out.

how does one grow up lower class and middle class at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back