• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Football Deacs Season Thread (what a shitty end. fuck duke.)

Yep, being able to churn clock, give the defense a breather and put games away with the run game will be extremely important.

No idea the timetable on Sam’s return but if it happens to be against Clemson (which seems unlikely but who knows) I feel like the atmosphere is going to electric.

Yep, being able to churn clock, give the defense a breather and put games away with the run game will be extremely important.

No idea the timetable on Sam’s return but if it happens to be against Clemson (which seems unlikely but who knows) I feel like the atmosphere is going to electric.

I'm calling it now. We are really rusty against VMI but still win easily. Griffis struggles. Squeak by Vandy, with Griffis doing enough to get us the W but not much else. Look better against Liberty with Griffis starting to show some promise. Lose a close one to Clemson. Beat FSU due to a monster game by AT Perry. Struggle with Army, Griffis gets banged up and Kern comes in to guide us to a ground game win, big games from all three RB's. There is a minor QB controversy leading up to the BC game, Clawson goes with Kern and we get the win. Then Kern and Griffis rotate in and out against Louisville, neither can really get much momentum but we somehow pull it off and win. Then against an undefeated NCSU, Hartman comes back. Leads us to wins over State, UNC, Cuse and Duke and except for the State game, we make it look easy. We finish 11-1 (Clemson loses to Miami and State and State loses to us and Louisville) and play Miami in Charlotte. Hartman wins an epic QB battle against Van Dyke. We are the ACC Champs and play OSU in the Fiesta Bowl. We beat them and play Alabama for the Championship. We win 42-36 on a last play fumble recovery for a TD by Ryan Smenda.

I'm calling it now. We are really rusty against VMI but still win easily. Griffis struggles. Squeak by Vandy, with Griffis doing enough to get us the W but not much else. Look better against Liberty with Griffis starting to show some promise. Lose a close one to Clemson. Beat FSU due to a monster game by AT Perry. Struggle with Army, Griffis gets banged up and Kern comes in to guide us to a ground game win, big games from all three RB's. There is a minor QB controversy leading up to the BC game, Clawson goes with Kern and we get the win. Then Kern and Griffis rotate in and out against Louisville, neither can really get much momentum but we somehow pull it off and win. Then against an undefeated NCSU, Hartman comes back. Leads us to wins over State, UNC, Cuse and Duke and except for the State game, we make it look easy. We finish 11-1 (Clemson loses to Miami and State and State loses to us and Louisville) and play Miami in Charlotte. Hartman wins an epic QB battle against Van Dyke. We are the ACC Champs and play OSU in the Fiesta Bowl. We beat them and play Alabama for the Championship. We win 42-36 on a last play fumble recovery for a TD by Ryan Smenda.

Aw, you beat me to it...

Pre-season Poll voters were given the opportunity to adjust their rankings after the Hartman news, so now I don't think we make the pre-season top 25.

Pre-season Poll voters were given the opportunity to adjust their rankings after the Hartman news, so now I don't think we make the pre-season top 25.

Which is annoying, but unless we tank an early winnable game with Griffis I'd imagine we skyrocket up the rankings if Hartman returns early-mid season like we are all hoping.

#22 in the AP Poll

Clemson 4
NCSU 13
Miami 16
Pitt 17

second preseason AP ranking in history and highest ever (#23 in 2008)

Last edited:
Preseason top 25 slots by conference

6 SEC (Plus Oklahoma)
5 ACC
4 Big Ten (Plus USC)
3 Big 12 (includes Oklahoma)
3 Pac 12 (includes USC)
2 American
2 Independents

Pitt does not deserve #17 having lost Pickett and their #1 receiver transferred to USC. I don't care what kind of defense they might have, way too many questions for them prior to the season.

Interesting that the Michigan State beat reporter ranked WF the highest at #10. Perhaps, some residual KW3 love. The Indiana beat reporter has WF 12th. Deacs getting some Big 10 love.

Of course, the Cuse and Pitt beat reporters didn't rank WF in their top 25. Why are those schools in the ACC?

Some other outlier votes: the OK State beat reporter has Miami #4; the Arizona beat reporter has the Pack at #5.

Last edited:
You want to talk about anti-WF bias, I read the ESPN story on the AP poll and didn't see WF listed. Then came here and see WF is ranked. Then I go back and look at the ESPN article and they have every ranking listed except for #22.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34403600/no-1-alabama-tops-preseason-ap-top-25-9th-ohio-state-georgia-clemson-notre-dame-round-top-five

AP Top 25 Football Poll
First-place votes in parentheses.

TEAM RECORD
1. Alabama (54) 13-2
2. Ohio St. (6) 11-2
3. Georgia (3) 14-1
4. Clemson 10-3
5. Notre Dame 11-2
6. Texas A&M 8-4
7. Utah 10-4
8. Michigan 12-2
9. Oklahoma 11-2
10. Baylor 12-2
11. Oregon 10-4
12. Oklahoma St. 12-2
13. NC State 9-3
14. Southern Cal 4-8
15. Michigan St. 11-2
16. Miami 7-5
17. Pittsburgh 11-3
18. Wisconsin 9-4
19. Arkansas 9-4
20. Kentucky 10-3
21. Ole Miss 10-3
23. Cincinnati 13-1
24. Houston 12-2
25. BYU 10-3

You want to talk about anti-WF bias, I read the ESPN story on the AP poll and didn't see WF listed. Then came here and see WF is ranked. Then I go back and look at the ESPN article and they have every ranking listed except for #22.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34403600/no-1-alabama-tops-preseason-ap-top-25-9th-ohio-state-georgia-clemson-notre-dame-round-top-five

Wake was mentioned in notes:

RARITIES AND STREAKS

• No. 13 North Carolina State is ranked in the preseason poll for the first time since 2003. The Wolfpack matched their best preseason ranking; they were also 13th in 1975.

• No. 17 Pitt is in the preseason rankings for the first time since 2010.

• No. 20 Kentucky is making its first preseason poll appearance since 1978.

• No. 22 Wake Forest made the preseason rankings for the first time since 2008.

Back