• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Football Deacs Season Thread (what a shitty end. fuck duke.)

Now, if we ever threw the ball to the TE, defenses would be totally fucked.

I bet we actually do more this year. Throwing to the TE under Clawson has always seemed dependent on how good of a receiving threat the TE actually is. Serigne/Freudenthal got plenty of targets when they were here, and Whiteheart seems more of a receiving threat than Chapman. Whiteheart will still get less targets than Greene/Perry/Morin/Williams, but I bet he's 5th on that list and could be 4th ahead of one of the slot guys.

Greene is a shitload faster than Perry. Having them both on the field will be a nightmare for the opposing team's secondary.

Now, if we ever threw the ball to the TE, defenses would be totally fucked.

yes, this is true

Clemson's defense smothered WF in large part because they could easily run with everyone; not sure that is the case with Greene

much harder to interfere (flag or no flag) with a WR when he is 3 yards behind you

yes, this is true

Clemson's defense smothered WF in large part because they could easily run with everyone; not sure that is the case with Greene

much harder to interfere (flag or no flag) with a WR when he is 3 yards behind you

A weird narrative has kind of developed that Clemson's D shutdown WF's O that day. WF threw for 370 yards, gained over 400 yards and scored 27 -- the most the Clemson D gave up all year. AT had 113 yards receiving. Roberson had 93 yards. Would have loved for Greene to play that day too. Agree that he is special.

the greene over perry thing is more eye-test than stats-backed, but Greene as a freshman and sophomore looked better than Perry as a freshman and sophomore

I also have more memories of Perry drops over the year and games like NC State where he only had 5 catches on 20 targets, though I don't really remember how many were should-be catches

either way, pretty sweet to have them both

A weird narrative has kind of developed that Clemson's D shutdown WF's O that day. WF threw for 370 yards, gained over 400 yards and scored 27 -- the most the Clemson D gave up all year. AT had 113 yards receiving. Roberson had 93 yards. Would have loved for Greene to play that day too. Agree that he is special.

meh

wake had two 75-yard TD drives in the 4th quarter, which started with Clemson up 38-13

some empty numbers imo

Kern was 1-1 for 52 yards lol

Wake’s offense couldn’t keep up with the Clemson offense and turned the ball over three times.

WF scored 13 points, and gave Clemson the football on the WF 20 twice, in the first 42 minutes.

WF's first 10 possessions:

Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
FG
TD
INT
Fumble
FG
Fumble

At that point the game was over. WF then did some good things in garbage time.

Last edited:
People also remember the first 3 drives that went for a combined 6 yards.

the greene over perry thing is more eye-test than stats-backed, but Greene as a freshman and sophomore looked better than Perry as a freshman and sophomore

I also have more memories of Perry drops over the year and games like NC State where he only had 5 catches on 20 targets, though I don't really remember how many were should-be catches

either way, pretty sweet to have them both

I rewatched some of that game when they did the WF day on ACCN and that was definitely a super weird Perry performance. There were several that were pretty routine especially compared to the rest of his year. Between that and those goddamn kick returns I had a weird feeling that we easily could have lost but also should have won by quite a bit more.

I mean Greene may very well be better, but no way is ESPN's national CFB staff doing a deep dive on WF's other receivers and going to rank a heretofore low production guy over a guy who had statistically one of the best seasons ever that put him in elite company.

I rewatched some of that game when they did the WF day on ACCN and that was definitely a super weird Perry performance. There were several that were pretty routine especially compared to the rest of his year. Between that and those goddamn kick returns I had a weird feeling that we easily could have lost but also should have won by quite a bit more.

In no way, shape or form am I trying to take away from that win, it's the one that essentially locked up the division.

But the part of the story to me was Wake's C+ game beat State's C+ game. Neither of those teams were sharp -- Wake was just better in the crucial margins (10-19 on third downs, held State to 3-14; forgot they didn't even win turnovers).

Griffis is a nice roll out passer. Could help if he is the Clemson guy.

I believe Hartman had two interceptions thrown the first play after our defense picked off Leary, including an amazing play by JJ Roberts. That alone kept the game way closer than it should have been.

I believe Hartman had two interceptions thrown the first play after our defense picked off Leary, including an amazing play by JJ Roberts. That alone kept the game way closer than it should have been.

Kind of agree, but it's a bit hypocritical to act like WF TOs were flukes, while State's were not. The flukiest part of the game was State's KO returns. They kept State in the game. Felt like WF was the better team that night. Perhaps, this is a WF's fan skew, but it seems like State lost more off last year's team than WF did (assuming Hartman is back). Seems like the biggest factor in that series is home field as the home team is 21-4 since 1997. WF does have the most recent road win (2018).

I'm interested to see what opposing defenses do to this offense. With Perry and Greene on the outside, does anybody in the ACC want to play press man? That is just asking to get torched. Griffis might not be the passer that Sam is, but with his quickness, I imagine he could really hurt a defense that played man and went running down the field with their backs to him. My guess is they see a lot of zone with other teams trying to force an inexperienced QB to sustain drives.

roberson was one of the best WRs at exploiting soft spots in the zone that I remember at Wake

dude just got open

I have to think that Griffis is going to tuck it an run a lot more than Hartman, especially if he throws a couple of bad interceptions.

roberson was one of the best WRs at exploiting soft spots in the zone that I remember at Wake

dude just got open

I remember seeing some (PFF I think) graphic that pointed to his position grade vs zone coverage and it was insane how good he was. He seemed to do a good job of challenging the defense vertically from the slot, which is something you normally don't expect.

I have to think that Griffis is going to tuck it an run a lot more than Hartman, especially if he throws a couple of bad interceptions.

Probably opening his already smallish frame to more injury.

WF scored 13 points, and gave Clemson the football on the WF 20 twice, in the first 42 minutes.

WF's first 10 possessions:

Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
FG
TD
INT
Fumble
FG
Fumble

At that point the game was over. WF then did some good things in garbage time.

This game is on ACCN right now for the punishment gluttons.

Back