• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 Football Deacs Season Thread (what a shitty end. fuck duke.)

Morin should be very effective out of the slot. Does a good job of stretching the defense vertically, and should have a good knack for finding soft spots in the zone. While it's unlikely he'll be as good as Roberson, I don't expect too much in the way of a drop off. Plus Keyshawn is an absolute burner that a LB/S/Rover will not be able to cover if playing man coverage. And AT, Greene, and Banks on the outside should be a considerable upgrade.

WF scored 13 points, and gave Clemson the football on the WF 20 twice, in the first 42 minutes.

WF's first 10 possessions:

Punt
Punt
Punt
Punt
FG
TD
INT
Fumble
FG
Fumble

At that point the game was over. WF then did some good things in garbage time.

Understand that the Clemson defense dominated the start of the game, but that is what Clemson's defense did to everyone last season. I believe UGA won the Natty last year, here was UGA's drive chart against Clemson:

Punt
Punt
Missed FG
Punt
End of half
INT
FG
Punt
Punt
End of Game

Here was vaunted NC State's regulation drive chart against Clemson's D last year:

Punt
Punt
TD
Punt
Fumble
Punt
Missed FG
Punt
TD
Punt
Mussed FG
Downs

Clemson's defense shutdown everyone last year. Also, WF did not punt in the 2nd half against Clemson, and the game was 17-10 at half. So, the game was still in the balance when WF started moving it consistently on the Tigers. Also, WF's last TD against Clemson was arguably garbage time, but the other TD that WF scored in the 2nd half was on a drive that started in the 3rd quarter, and WF scored on the 1st play of the 4th quarter. Clemson had all of its defensive studs in the game. What killed WF, is after that TD, Clemson went on a 7 minute drive to kick a FG to essentially end that game.

yeah, you don't get to punt the ball when you give it to the other team on your own 20, as WF did twice in the third quarter.

The game was decidedly not in the balance at 38-13 after Clemson scored the second of its two gifts from those two fumbles.

and by the way, the comparisons to other teams' offenses are a red herring. Nobody is saying Clemson's defense isn't great. They are. I mentioned their team speed as a reason why their defense is great, and why they shut down WF - and others.

Stetson Bennett IV would have dropped 40 on Clemson.

Understand that the Clemson defense dominated the start of the game, but that is what Clemson's defense did to everyone last season. I believe UGA won the Natty last year, here was UGA's drive chart against Clemson:

Punt
Punt
Missed FG
Punt
End of half
INT
FG
Punt
Punt
End of Game

Here was vaunted NC State's regulation drive chart against Clemson's D last year:

Punt
Punt
TD
Punt
Fumble
Punt
Missed FG
Punt
TD
Punt
Mussed FG
Downs

Clemson's defense shutdown everyone last year. Also, WF did not punt in the 2nd half against Clemson, and the game was 17-10 at half. So, the game was still in the balance when WF started moving it consistently on the Tigers. Also, WF's last TD against Clemson was arguably garbage time, but the other TD that WF scored in the 2nd half was on a drive that started in the 3rd quarter, and WF scored on the 1st play of the 4th quarter. Clemson had all of its defensive studs in the game. What killed WF, is after that TD, Clemson went on a 7 minute drive to kick a FG to essentially end that game.

Pilchard you are an asset to the boards. You give great analysis on basketball and football threads. I'm sure not everyone agrees with you all the time but I really appreciate your posts. Good reality check here about the strength of the Clemson D and what they did to teams last season. I'm still reasonably optimistic that we'll compete with them and can stay in it for awhile.

Can someone explain the Smenda thing to me? Why is it a full game when the penalty was in the 2nd half of the last game? Is that a rule change for '22-'23?

It will be nice to have our scores in the Top 25 scroll again

Can someone explain the Smenda thing to me? Why is it a full game when the penalty was in the 2nd half of the last game? Is that a rule change for '22-'23?

3 targeting calls in one season = full game suspension.

3 targeting calls in one season = full game suspension.
Ah thanks. I was not aware. I remember one or two of them being horseshit.

At least it's VMI... but he needs to be extra attentive to his technique this year, he's getting the Songaila treatment.

Ah thanks. I was not aware. I remember one or two of them being horseshit.

At least it's VMI... but he needs to be extra attentive to his technique this year, he's getting the Songaila treatment.

There is no technique on planet earth that would have prevented, perhaps the worst call in all of 2022 football, from occurring. I can only assume that the reviewers were so embarrassed for the moron who made the call, that they had no choice but to agree that thin-air caused targeting. Either that or they were all drunk. There's no defending that call.

There’s no doubt Smenda needs his live reps but starting someone that was 2nd string against VMI shoukd only build depth at our “lightest” position.

From the replay, it does look like Smenda hits their QB in the head with his forearm. It’s clearly not the type of “forcible contact” that the rule was meant to prohibit and punish with an ejection. IMO it wasn’t even a personal foul. Really nothing a LB can do in that situation where he’s got to try and make a play and the other player slides.

hot take but imo it was the right call precisely bc we should be trying to strongly disincentivize playing recklessly like smenda does.

From the replay, it does look like Smenda hits their QB in the head with his forearm. It’s clearly not the type of “forcible contact” that the rule was meant to prohibit and punish with an ejection. IMO it wasn’t even a personal foul. Really nothing a LB can do in that situation where he’s got to try and make a play and the other player slides.

Flag came out right away

I think Smenda tried to get a sneaky hit in with his forearm. Clearly extended the forearm and clearly made contact while flying over the quarterback.

Flag came out right away

I think Smenda tried to get a sneaky hit in with his forearm. Clearly extended the forearm and clearly made contact while flying over the quarterback.

PF warranted but review guy stuck his nose in and made it targeting. BS.

Back