• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rating ACC Coaching Jobs

As for the perception of Wake by non-Wake people: Since leaving MSD I have lived in Texas, California, Alaska, and Arizona. Every time I tell people I went to Wake they comment on our good bball program (although football was mentioned more often for a year following the Orange Bowl). Even this year, people I talk to know Wake a bad year in bball. The fact they know that shows wake still carries national recognition. These are casual and hardcore sports fans that I have heard these comments from.

As for Wake's attractiveness to potential coaches, we have a lot going for us as far as an administration that supports athletics, good academics, no real history of problems with the NCAA, beautiful campus, NBA pedigree, and national recognition. I think our biggest drawback, though, is our size which translates into a smaller booster program and fan base.

I'd be interested to see how much our booster program hurts or helps us. Not that we don't have good boosters, but we just have a much smaller pool to draw from. This is why discussions about building/renovating things is a serious discussion. Raising that money at a large state school is easier than at Wake.

No way to prove this either way, but I'll always believe we would have been back in the tourney in 2008 if Skip had no passed away....

And I would have believed otherwise. We'll never know, but what we do know is that for 5 of the last 6 seasons, we haven't really been relevant in college basketball. The one season we were relevant ended up in getting a huge black eye in the post season.

Damn, we are the only team on this list not to have made it to a Final Four since 1998 now that Kentucky made it this year. 7 out of the 11 (all but us, Memphis, Arizona, and Kentucky) have made multiple Final Fours since 1998. And look at the state of all of these programs right now compared to Wake. That is such a depressing list...

NC State is right there with us except we've done better in the regular season leading to more heartache in the postseason.

NC State has had 1 less top 100 recruit, 2 more top 50 recruits, and the same number of top 10 recruits in that same time span.

Wake has 7 tourney appearances with a 6-7 record.
NCSU has 5 tourney appearances with a 5-5 record.

Interestingly Alabama has almost the exact same recruiting profile as well. Here is the link.

I'll take a shot at it:

From best to worst:

1. Carolina
2. Dook

GAP

3. Maryland -- Let's be honest. This is a great, great job for whoever succeeds Gary Williams. The Terps have the facilities, the history, and most importantly, a great recruiting base thanks to its location near D.C. and Baltimore that should give the next coach a great opportunity to rebuild the program into a basketball power.

GAP

4. State -- As much as we may hate to admit it, State has the money, history (albeit old), and a large fan base that create a good opportunity to build a successful program. Its location in the Triangle is a plus. But it is hurt by the ridiculous expectations of its fan base.
5. Virginia -- JPJ is phenomenal, and because of that, Virginia's facilities may be the nicest you'll see. UVA is a diamond in the rough in terms of recruiting potential IMO, given its location near Richmond and D.C. (and also its pull in the Norfolk/Hampton/Beach area). Although Charlottesville is a small town, it comes across as more urban and diverse than Blacksburg, which makes it the top destination in basketball rich Virginia. And to top it off, the Virginia Athletic Department has sizable financial resources on hand.
6. Ga. Tech -- Ga. Tech arguably has the best recruiting region in the entire ACC, with the possible exception of Maryland. Tech has had a good recent history, was in the NCAA Finals not that long ago, and is perceived as a good school in terms of putting players in the NBA. The location in Atlanta will surely appeal to recruits. That being said, I have them ranked this low because, despite the advantages their location offers, they just don't have the fan base, and consequently, near the financial resources that UVA and State have. To top it off, they don't have many girls on campus and they currently have no home basketball facility while their OCA is being redone.
7. Wake Forest -- A good history, some recent NBA stars that will resonate with recruits, with decent to good basketball facilities in a basketball first state. But I think we're hampered by the fact that we have a much smaller fan base than most of the ACC schools. With this comes fewer financial resources. IMO, we are also hurt by the perception that our fans expect the program to live up to our rivals in state.

GAP

(For the following three schools, I believe you can really interchange any of these. IMO, these are still good jobs given the conference affiliation, the fact that these programs, as large state schools, have money, and at least for Va. Tech and Clemson, each school possesses a good, though not great, fan base when they're winning. However, all of these schools are really hampered by their locations (particularly Va. Tech) and the football-first mentality of their fan base and Athletic Department)

8. Clemson
9. Virginia Tech
10. Florida State

GAP

11. Boston College
12. Miami

You all are sleeping on Miami. Recruits love Miami. Haith has had Miami on the cusp for a couple of years. How in the hell would it be easier to coach Boston College than Miami? Seriously? Boston College is a dark pit for athletics. We're not talking about Hockey coaching are we?

1. UNC
2. Duke
3. Maryland
4. Georgia Tech
5. NC State
6. Virginia
7. Wake Forest
8. Clemson
9. Florida State
10. Virginia Tech
11. Miami
12. Boston College

You all are sleeping on Miami. Recruits love Miami. Haith has had Miami on the cusp for a couple of years. How in the hell would it be easier to coach Boston College than Miami? Seriously? Boston College is a dark pit for athletics. We're not talking about Hockey coaching are we?

I'm curious about all the negative views of Miami too. Since they joined the ACC Miami basketball has gotten better. Factor in the large booster program and financial resources and this definitely helps that program from an attractiveness point for potential coaches. That and being in state for Florida recruits.

Not sure why people are high on UVA other than the facilities. No real history, no real NBA players, and no real recruiting area (McKie is from Richmond and I don't really remember UVA being a factor). I really feel like NOVA/DC kids just aren't looking at UVA.

Not sure why people are high on UVA other than the facilities. No real history, no real NBA players, and no real recruiting area (McKie is from Richmond and I don't really remember UVA being a factor). I really feel like NOVA/DC kids just aren't looking at UVA.

UVA and Charlottesville are awesome, but I don't have the same perspective as a 17 year old, urban (wasist?) basketball recruit.

4. State -- As much as we may hate to admit it, State has the money, history (albeit old), and a large fan base that create a good opportunity to build a successful program. Its location in the Triangle is a plus. But it is hurt by the ridiculous expectations of its fan base.

They've made 5 NCAA tournaments in the last 20 years. All 5 of those, in a row, were by the same coach that whose name they curse even more than the recently-departed crappy coach that got to none following those 5.

So someone's gonna have to tell me what they sell if not the last 5 years under Sendek to prove they're still relevant.

IMO the location is a negative for State because it always has the fans looking over their shoulder wistfully at UNC and Duke. All they can sell right now is money. They don't have an on-campus facility or basketball-dedicated game facility and the only coach to get them higher than 8th in the conference in the last 20 years is persona non grata.

Virginia has better potential because of its facility and location. Georgia Tech is building a new building, has a great location for both living and recruiting basketball players. Clemson actually has a really good game day atmosphere and most kids really like the town (they also have an awesome coach). Wake Forest, while it may be slipping, still has a lot more to sell than State right now.

I would put State 8th, ahead of VT, FSU, Miami and BC, until proven otherwise. State is like the Dutch...they had their time a long time ago, too long ago for anyone to care too much about, have popped up a few times since then, but have faded since and now no one should consider them a power or even a potential one. Now they mostly hang out and smoke blunts.

As an MD resident, (slash semi-fan when they aren't playing Wake obviously), I wouldn't be too sad to see Gary go. Someone legit can step right in and recruit the shit out of DC/Baltimore. They could easily be a top 15 program every year with that talent pool and fanbase.

That's a solid point and one that should be applied to UVa. The Cavs ineptitude is inexplicable, aside from just having the wrong coaches. There ought to be a pipeline from Oak Hill, Hargrave, and The Fork, and they should be pulling a fair number of kids from the DC and Va Beach area.

Instead, they're currently the fifth or sixth best program in the state and they lost to us.

Elite Schools

1. UNC- Get your pick of recruits at a top 3 job in the country (Kentucky and Kansas)
2. Duke- A bit of a negative perception by a significant segment of athletes (Jalen may have use the wrong verbiage, but that perception exists)

GAP

Quality State Schools
3. Maryland- Good program, good facilities, not really elite.
4. GT- Great recruiting area, new facility coming. Some drawbacks.
5. State- Good area, fans constantly compare with UNC/Duke, but capable of getting great recruits
6. UVA- Limited history, should actually be higher, but for whatever reason, doesn't seem like they belong

GAP
Have limitations, potential for success
7. Wake- Good school, solid recruiting area, good NBA history, tiny school size can turn off a lot of guys.
8. Clemson- Football school. Not too much B-ball interest. Poor history.
9. FSU- See above, except to a higher extent.

GAP
The dregs
10. VT- Blah. Who wants to go to Blacksburg and never go to the tourney?
11. Miami- Great area. So great that nobody shows up.

GAP

Embarrassment

12. BC- Like Miami, but replace "great" with "racist"

Boston is pretty diverse, isn't it? Or are you talking about BC in particular?

Uh, Boston is one of the least diverse cities in America. Go to any sporting event there and finding a minority is like playing "Where's Waldo".

Duke
UNC
MD

FSU, Clemson, GT, UVA, BC, Wake all tied for 6th

NC State as it is too close to Duke & UNC
VT nobody care about basketball in Blacksburg and they don't pay enough to live there
Miami nobody cares about basketball down there either but it is a great place to live

Duke
UNC
MD

FSU, Clemson, GT, UVA, BC, Wake all tied for 6th

NC State as it is too close to Duke & UNC
VT nobody care about basketball in Blacksburg and they don't pay enough to live there
Miami nobody cares about basketball down there either but it is a great place to live

how can you have BC tied for 6th with Georgia Tech and Wake? What has BC ever done, ever, to make anyone think they care about basketball? The only things worth mentioning about Boston College are academics and Doug Flutie. Could someone please fill me in on why anyone would want to coach there over Miami or any other school in the ACC.

BC has to be in last. Basketball is the 3rd sport; they don't have much money; the fan support is bad; they have to contend with high academic/moral standards, and the recruiting area is the worst in the ACC.

BC has to be in last. Basketball is the 3rd sport; they don't have much money; the fan support is bad; they have to contend with high academic/moral standards, and the recruiting area is the worst in the ACC.

Even if Miami is 11th, Boston College is a distant 12. Miami has a good reputation for athletes, because of Football. Pick 10 basketball recruits and ask them to play for Miami or Boston College, and 9 of them will pick Miami because it's "cool". Go to Lids at the mall and find a Boston College hat. You couldn't find a Boston College hat in Boston. You can find Miami stuff at the mall in Alaska.

Uh, Boston is one of the least diverse cities in America. Go to any sporting event there and finding a minority is like playing "Where's Waldo".

Actually, Boston is a majority-minority city:

From wikipedia:
According to the 2010 U.S. Census, the racial composition of Boston was as follows:[80]

* White: 53.9% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 47.0%)
* Black or African American: 22.4%
* Native American: 0.2%
* Asian: 8.9%
* Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.0%
* Some other race: 1.6%
* Two or more races: 2.4%
* Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 17.5%

Boston isn't as diverse as New York, Chicago, or Philly, but it's pretty diverse.

It's not that Boston isn't diverse. Boston sporting events aren't diverse.

Last edited:
Back