• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Looking into planning a Pinehurst trip for late summer for a group of guys from my club. Any advice on where to stay/play?

Looking into planning a Pinehurst trip for late summer for a group of guys from my club. Any advice on where to stay/play?
Tobacco Road has some decent packages that include golf and stay. http://tobaccoroadtravel.com/packages/

Example: 3 Rounds / 2 Nights // $236 per person
Includes one round at Tobacco Road, Legacy, and Southern Pines. Rate includes two nights at the Comfort Inn located in Pinehurst, NC.

Obviously other options more expensive including rounds at Pinehurst or staying at nicer places.

Pine Crest Inn is great, and staying there gets you some discounts at nearby courses. I'd book early and try to hit them in the last weekend of their offseason - first week of September maybe. Dormie Club for example is $50 less per round. Pinehurst #2 crossed into the absurdly expensive realm after the US Open - but at least you can get on without staying there. Easy to run over $600+ per person on #2 with a caddie these days - offseason. Pine Needles for 1/3 that cost is a steal by comparison. And that's coming from someone who's a huge fan of #2, probably my favorite course I've ever played.

Call Pine Needles and see what packages they could offer. A Pine Needles/Mid Pines/Talamore/Mid South trip while staying at Needles with the great bar they have would be fun.

My wedding is October 8th in Pinehurst and BMW is doing their annual meeting or whatever at the same time. #2 and #4 are booked Wednesday through Saturday and they have spilled over into #8, National, Needles, Mid Pines and #7. That combined with it being the busiest season of the year is making it a real bitch for my guests to get tee times.

That's solid advice. Also eat at Wedgies at least once. Texas, no onions.

That's solid advice. Also eat at Wedgies at least once. Texas, no onions.

My order now and forever is full Texas on white with no lettuce or tomato. I don't think I've ever gotten anything else and I have been probably 300 times.

I probably get Texas 90% of the time but will mix it up with the Italian or even the portobello. I miss that place.

I probably get Texas 90% of the time but will mix it up with the Italian or even the portobello. I miss that place.

Dude, we are simpatico here. My fiancee gets the italian and my mom gets the portobello so if I'm there with either I make them get a whole so I can go half and half then take the other half of my Texas home.

They changed owners about a year ago (original owner quit to become a poker player or something stupid). The interior now looks like a weird sonic ripoff but if anything the quality of meat went up a little and the excellent sweet tea remained the same so I don't mind.

When I go home I eat almost exclusively at Wedgies, Thai Orchid, La Poblanita and the CCNC halfway house. I don't worship at the altar of Vito's like most people.

Solid list. La Poblanita is the one in downtown Aberdeen, correct? Best chips I've ever had at a cheapish Mexican restaurant.

I always loved Maxie's but felt the staff was kinda dickish. Their soup and Texas French Dip were that heat tho.

Solid list. La Poblanita is the one in downtown Aberdeen, correct? Best chips I've ever had at a cheapish Mexican restaurant.

I always loved Maxie's but felt the staff was kinda dickish. Their soup and Texas French Dip were that heat tho.

Yeah, downtown Aberdeen. El Chapala used to be our spot (next to Pure Gold) but when they moved to the same parking lot as Wedgies it went to shit. I forgot to mention Sizzlin Steak and Eggs and Biscuitville as my morning spots.

Made the Pinehurst trip last weekend. Stayed at Talamore (4 guys). Played Southern Pines, Legacy, Pinehurst No. 8, and Tobacco Road. $548/person.

By the way, I hated Tobacco Road. Course was in good shape, and I had a good idea of what to expect going in, but course is way too tricked out for my taste.

Made the Pinehurst trip last weekend. Stayed at Talamore (4 guys). Played Southern Pines, Legacy, Pinehurst No. 8, and Tobacco Road. $548/person.

By the way, I hated Tobacco Road. Course was in good shape, and I had a good idea of what to expect going in, but course is way too tricked out for my taste.

Same. Although I haven't played it since right when it opened and I heard they have turned down the dial on some of the Mickey Mouse aspects. There were a couple holes where you couldn't see the green because there was a giant sand mound in front of it for absolutely no reason.

Same. Although I haven't played it since right when it opened and I heard they have turned down the dial on some of the Mickey Mouse aspects. There were a couple holes where you couldn't see the green because there was a giant sand mound in front of it for absolutely no reason.

That's why the Pit (one of my favorite courses down there) shut down. "TR out-pitted The Pit"

Pine Crest Inn is great, and staying there gets you some discounts at nearby courses. I'd book early and try to hit them in the last weekend of their offseason - first week of September maybe. Dormie Club for example is $50 less per round. Pinehurst #2 crossed into the absurdly expensive realm after the US Open - but at least you can get on without staying there. Easy to run over $600+ per person on #2 with a caddie these days - offseason. Pine Needles for 1/3 that cost is a steal by comparison. And that's coming from someone who's a huge fan of #2, probably my favorite course I've ever played.

Good suggestions. $600 per for #2 is crazy.

I never once played the pit despite it being right beside CCNC and it being designed by a friend's dad. A regret of mine.

It was awesomely difficult (why I play golf)....

Still remember #4. 232 tipped out with a 15 yard chute at the 175 mark.

My buddy from HS owned a piece of the course and they had a townhouse right on one of the holes.

Would just head down for a weekend, stay and play for just the cleaning fee.

Simpler times....

shot 75 (35-40) at tobacco road. my wife was a beer bitch there for a summer so i got to play for da free.

it was a pretty sweet day with great weather. i got matched up with 3 randos. i was playing out of my mind on the front side. when my wife came around on the beer cart, the guys were all kicking all this game at her. i just let it go on for a couple of minutes before (iirc) slapping her on the ass and getting a few cold ones.

I was just about to retell this story but remembered that I had told it before on this very thread. Still one of my favorite rounds for myriad reasons.

Was looking into staying at Mid Pines/Pine Needles, but got an email from them that they're installing Bermuda greens at the time we're going and the course will be using temporary greens, so that's out.

Staying at the resort itself would allow for an upgrade to play #2 at $195 per person. Several of our guys have never played it (myself included), so that's tempting.

Funny - we did that deal the year they refinished the greens and it was cheaper to pay for #2 straight up and take #4 as the free round. Now it's not even close.

If you stay on property and they do the included food thing, skip the main dining room and hit up 1895 instead. Big step up in quality. Better atmosphere too.

Back