• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Ended up starting the whole process over again and purchased the Rogue Sub Zero. Even flow blue stiff shaft 65. Very pleasant experience this time around.

Now, onto my wedges. My PW is 46 degree loft. My plan moving forward is a 50/54/58 combo. I take a pretty large divot and have a steep swing. I'm looking at the Titleist SM6 wedges with 10-12 bounce and F-grind. Does that sound correct?

I personally prefer less bounce if it's a club that i'm going to be playing more from the fairway than the sand. I wanted less bounce on my 60 and ended up going with a 8 degrees of bounce. I'm not in many bunkers and hit way more shots from around the green or fairway and I prefer having less bounce and being able to pick it cleaner. Just my two cents. May want to go with less bounce on the 50/54 and more on the 58 if that's what you use most in green side bunkers.

I personally prefer less bounce if it's a club that i'm going to be playing more from the fairway than the sand. I wanted less bounce on my 60 and ended up going with a 8 degrees of bounce. I'm not in many bunkers and hit way more shots from around the green or fairway and I prefer having less bounce and being able to pick it cleaner. Just my two cents. May want to go with less bounce on the 50/54 and more on the 58 if that's what you use most in green side bunkers.

I'd use the 58 more than the other clubs. I grew up on a 60 degree and hit it for 95% of my shots inside of 85 yards. So I'd be using the 58 for almost every situation greenside

+1

I use a 60 degree with 6 degrees of bounce and it's great for fairways and light rough around the green.

Use my 56 out of the sand and normal bounce.

Ditched the 3 just before last season for an SM6 setup of 50/56/62. Love the setup, just got the identical config in SM7's. The Vokey 62 is more versatile than it sounds, and with today's 46 degree pitching wedges it makes for a perfect distance spread. 140/120/100/80 for me.

46/56/62 for me. I'm good at controlling my p wedge and use it from 80-140. Dropped the gap wedge and put a hybrid in the bag.

I'm wedge heavy. PW, AW, 54, and a 60 for me. I'm a short knocker so that runs me from like 120 to 65 or so on full shots and obviously anything lower. No gaps and I basically have a full swing or a 3/4 knockdown shot from anywhere inside 120 yards that hits the right distance consistently. Now if only I could get my mid irons to cooperate....

Any recommendations for courses in the Boone area? Going up there with a few guys in a couple weeks. Right now looking st Boone golf club and mountain air. Private courses welcomed if you can hook us up with a tee time.

This will not help you at all, but I've got to brag somewhere... we attended dinner with Grobe & Odom on Sunday at Grandfather Mountain CC

Played:

Linville on Sunday afternoon
Grandfather Mountain on Monday morning
Hounds Ears (front 9) on Monday afternoon
Elk River this morning.
Hounds Ears (back 9) this afternoon.

I don't want to get into the business of ranking those courses against each other, but my God. Best 3 days of my life that hasn't involved my family.

eta: Linville was wide open on Sunday & I had a bending putt that I liked the look of... I felt like a douche asking my playing partner to record it, but this turned out pretty good. First and last time I'll do that.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Z-xpuiVRC7s

Last edited:
I've played Linville and Elk River - both incredible tracks. How did those compare to Hounds Ears and Grandfather?

I've played Linville and Elk River - both incredible tracks. How did those compare to Hounds Ears and Grandfather?

they are all incredible. we played them as part of a ACC media & coaches outing that's been going on for decades. the clubs have been really generous with the association, so i want to be a little careful in how i talk/type about them.

clubhouse wise, I think i was most comfortable at Linville. It was the most laid back & seemed to be the most about the actual golf.

Elk River is just ridiculously luxurious & it looked like they were expanding it further. The facilities were downright incredible. It was very similar (but a bit bigger) to the rooms/design elements @ Hounds Ears. Hounds Ears does just about everything right, in my book. Its very playable & the staff is wildly friendly & accommodating.

Grandfather is just so soaked in tradition, its the most similar atmosphere i've experienced to ANGC. they were tremendous hosts & the dining/reception experience was a highlight. The course kicked my ass.

I shot 84 at Linville, followed by a 106 at Grandfather. I parred 7 straight @ one point, on a longer/faster Linville course, and then parred exactly 0 holes the next day.

I was playing with some intimidating company @ grandfather but won't use that as an excuse. we all struggled.

Linville's greens were rolling slicker than grandfather's, but keep in mind, most courses up there are on their first or second week of the season.

The grass @ Hound's Ears is so lush its unbelievable. It's the first week of May in Boone, NC & their grass is considerably denser/greener than any other course i've been on. Elk River really isn't far behind... & will probably be comparable in the next couple of days as things thicken up.

Bought a SM6 combo yesterday of 50 8* F grind and a 54 10* S grind, now all that's left is deciding between a 58 or 60 and my bag will be complete for the first time since high school

I have one friend that is a member at Linville Ridge and the another at Grandfather. Lot of awesome weekends up there. I think I prefer LR to Grandfather but recognize I'm in the minority there.

We haven't had a "what's in the bag" in a while, I'll start it off:

Driver - Calloway Rogue Sub Zero 10.5*
Hybrid - Titleist 585 (2 iron)
3-PW - Nike Vapor Pro irons
Wedge - Titleist SM6 50 8* bounce F grind
Wedge - Titleist SM6 54 10* bounce S grind
Wedge - ?????
Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2.5 (2015)

I don't carry a 3 wood, I've just never had success with one off the tee or in the fairway. I hit my driver long enough to where its an iron or hybrid into a par 5, and if it's anything more than that, I'll accept my lay up move on. Oldest club in my bag is the 585 hybrid, but I hit it too well to replace right now. Maybe next year. Just need to fill the hole of my final wedge and I'll be very content with the bag moving into this season.

I have one friend that is a member at Linville Ridge and the another at Grandfather. Lot of awesome weekends up there. I think I prefer LR to Grandfather but recognize I'm in the minority there.

You can't go wrong with either....a family friend used to belong at Linville Ridge, so I've played there probably 6-7 times over the years, and got a chance to go back up there this past fall and play a round before a tournament at Grandfather (which was my first round on that course....trying to figure out how to get back there ASAP!). There is just something about mountain golf on a course with some ultra fast greens....

Driver - Ping G400 LST 10*
3W - Ping G400 14.5*
Hybrid - Callaway, can't recall model or loft. Around a 2I hybrid loft.
3-W - Callaway X Hot
Wedge - Titleist SM6 56* F grind
Wedge - Titleist Vokey (ten years old?) 62*
Putter - rotate between Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (from 2001 or 2002), Odyssey giant putter with giant grip (2016), and my new Bettinardi BB39 (2018).

Driver - Callaway Epic 10.5 (dialed down to 9.5)
3W - Callaway XR (love this club)
hybrid - Cleveland Halo (this is getting replaced with the 3 hybrid Rogue in a couple of weeks
5-AW - Mizuno JPX 900 Forged
Wedges - Callaway Mack Daddy 56 and 60 degree
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (2017)

Driver - Callaway Epic 10.5 (dialed down to 9.5)
3W - Callaway XR (love this club)
hybrid - Cleveland Halo (this is getting replaced with the 3 hybrid Rogue in a couple of weeks
5-AW - Mizuno JPX 900 Forged
Wedges - Callaway Mack Daddy 56 and 60 degree
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (2017)

How do you like the JPX 900 forged? My roommate demoed some yesterday and I think that was the leader in the clubhouse after initial review

Back