• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

I saw you guys on 2 when we were waiting on the 8th tee, but didn't wanna shout across the course cuz there was a group on 7 and the 1st green haha.

I hit an atrocious second shot on 8 from about 220 out and pulled a hybrid through the trees onto the 9th tee almost hitting the threesome teeing off over there.

Did you guys hit the range? The ball guy was just tolling everyone up there when we got there. Chatting on the phone driving his nearly full picker around. Had no time to warm up. Between that and the road on the right of the first tee that magnetically pulled in my ball, it was not a recipe for success.

They didn't get our tee time that we did through GolfNow.com (well the guy got it and didn't write it down), so we had to go like as soon as we got there or wait for an hour+ to get onto the course.

I have always wanted to play it,but never have. I believe I will check it out Fri. or Sat.

btw I did absolutely nothing to warrant those tags, stalker.

There is a Groupon today for some lessons from Executive Links. You can get a 60 minute swing lesson or 9/18 hole lesson on Course Management. Anyone have any experience with them? Is a course management lesson worth the time and money?

There is a Groupon today for some lessons from Executive Links. You can get a 60 minute swing lesson or 9/18 hole lesson on Course Management. Anyone have any experience with them? Is a course management lesson worth the time and money?

Learning to manage the course is good, but as a high handicap golfer there are many other things worth spending time and money on.

ETA: The high handicap thing is NOT a shot at you; I think our games are likely similar based on your other posts (I'm trying desperately to break 100 as well right now).

Last edited:
Damn, there's this great site (golfclubatlas.com), a guy on their message boards just finished playing the top 100 courses in the world.

That is a great site. Tom Doak and some big names in architecture post on there.

I want to play golf in the triangle area tomorrow. Can't play until 11 or 12, don't want to travel too far from Cary, don't want to spend a fortune but not a cheapskate, don't want to take 5 hours to play, not a golf snob but don't want to play a goat track either... any recommendations?

Can anyone recommend any good public courses around the Wilmington area? I've played Eagle's Landing with my dad (awesome course), but of course can't since he won't be there when I'm there. I've played Beau Rivage, Castle Bay, and Olde Point, the first 2 being pretty good IMO, the last not being great. I'm looking at Magnolia Greens for this Mem Day week, but if anyone has any other recs, I'd love to hear them.

Can anyone recommend any good public courses around the Wilmington area? I've played Eagle's Landing with my dad (awesome course), but of course can't since he won't be there when I'm there. I've played Beau Rivage, Castle Bay, and Olde Point, the first 2 being pretty good IMO, the last not being great. I'm looking at Magnolia Greens for this Mem Day week, but if anyone has any other recs, I'd love to hear them.

The Muni was nice the one time I played it around Christmas. It was in great shape in December, but it was beyond crowded.

Which are your favorite two courses out of: Reynolds Park, Olde Homeplace, and Pudding Ridge?

RP and Olde Homeplace. I played Pudding Ridge all through high school, and its very much a no frills golf course. Its one of those that you play it afterwards and are like "meh".

I'd check out Cape Fear National. It's just down Highway 17 from Magnolia Greens (maybe 5 mins) and is a much better layout in my opinion. It's been in great shape every time I've played it. It's a little pricey if you can't get them to give you the local rate though; $80 before 2pm, $60 after.

To Deacfreak07's point, the Muni is pretty much always in great shape for the amount of play it gets..

Last edited:

Sneak on to Eagle Point. Profit.

Who's got some putting tips. Mine is atrocious. I took a lesson a few years ago and the golf pro told me to 'pop' the ball. He said most amateurs don't go back far enough and push through with a long follow-through. That year I had awesome putting but now I'm back to sucking (mainly blocking to the right).

Who's got some putting tips. Mine is atrocious. I took a lesson a few years ago and the golf pro told me to 'pop' the ball. He said most amateurs don't go back far enough and push through with a long follow-through. That year I had awesome putting but now I'm back to sucking (mainly blocking to the right).
This is an extreme change but when you go to a golf store, try out the Heavy Putter. Not for everyone, but has significantly helped my game.

From playing baseball and tennis growing up, I've always been very handsy with my putts. The heavy putter gives you that very smooth pendulum motion.

I have the B3 model.

Bombing the driver right now. Sweeping it well, just need to remember to turn the hips to avoid the nasty push-slice.
Irons need some work; either blocking to the right or hooking left. Need to coordinate my hip turn (wants to hook) with the wrists (wants to block).
Chipping is good.
Putting is bad. Distance control is decent but accuracy is awful. Pretty clueless right now on what needs to change.

This is an extreme change but when you go to a golf store, try out the Heavy Putter. Not for everyone, but has significantly helped my game.

From playing baseball and tennis growing up, I've always been very handsy with my putts. The heavy putter gives you that very smooth pendulum motion.

I have the B3 model.

Good idea. I have an Odyssey white hot 6 long neck and resale value is $60 on eBay. B3 is going for about the same. Need to try a few out at a local pro shop and find the one that works for me.

Good idea. I have an Odyssey white hot 6 long neck and resale value is $60 on eBay. B3 is going for about the same. Need to try a few out at a local pro shop and find the one that works for me.
Yeah, I saw immediate improvement in my 5-10 ft putts, but it took some time to get the feel for the longer putts. Definitely works for me and I don't see myself going back to a non-heavy putter.

Try different grips. My dad used to be an awful putter for my entire childhood and now makes just about everything inside 10 feet. Putted cross handed for years, but that didn't even help. Switched to the claw about 3 years ago and now can't miss. If I get the yips or can't make anything (especially short putts), I'll switch to cross handed every now and then. It usually helps me significantly.

Back