• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards

I have the Chase Freedom, is it a no brainier to add the Freedom Unlimited if qualified to get the 1.5x over the 1.0x and just use the Freedom for the 5.0x rotation or am I missing something?

I have the Chase Freedom, is it a no brainier to add the Freedom Unlimited if qualified to get the 1.5x over the 1.0x and just use the Freedom for the 5.0x rotation or am I missing something?

Seems correct.
Once we're done with the whole home-buying process and I can get set up with the right card, I'm going to add the Freedom as my 3rd and final card. I have the Reserve and Freedom Unlimited now; it would be nice to get 5% on the rotating categories when they pop up, and the Chase portal for payments and account management is too easy not to be able to do this effectively.
It's amazing how quickly points can rack up when you just use a card for everything (and the pay it off totally).

Seems correct.
Once we're done with the whole home-buying process and I can get set up with the right card, I'm going to add the Freedom as my 3rd and final card. I have the Reserve and Freedom Unlimited now; it would be nice to get 5% on the rotating categories when they pop up, and the Chase portal for payments and account management is too easy not to be able to do this effectively.
It's amazing how quickly points can rack up when you just use a card for everything (and the pay it off totally).

And once you start spending on all that sweet sweet house stuff (I guess?) watch them roll in. I've got sooooo many points on Chase now, even after already having transferred over a ton as miles to United. Now that we have a 2mo old we won't be traveling as much for a while so they don't do me quite as much good, but I can just keep saving anyway. Big numbers make me happy.

Seems correct.

Yeah I pay off everything in full at the start of the month. I don't think I qualify for the reserve yet, so I'll go with the Freedom/Unlimited then. Point transfers at 1:1, right? Or do they all just go to the same portal?

Yeah I pay off everything in full at the start of the month. I don't think I qualify for the reserve yet, so I'll go with the Freedom/Unlimited then. Point transfers at 1:1, right? Or do they all just go to the same portal?

You have to transfer them from one card to another - but that's really simple. I rack up points on the freedom unlimited, but then transfer to the reserve account because that's where the best point ratio is for using them.

You have to transfer them from one card to another - but that's really simple. I rack up points on the freedom unlimited, but then transfer to the reserve account because that's where the best point ratio is for using them.

Can you transfer from the Unlimited to the Freedom? I've tried looking online but can't find anything that says you can own both or make that transfer. Seems like most sites say one or the other. Any confirmation?

No idea. I think HTTD uses that system - maybe message him?

I am just now checking/seeing this thread. what is the verdict? i need to get a new card at some time soon.

Last edited:

This is what I do, too.

What is the best website to use to find out the best cards and current offers for a cash rewards credit card? Looking for something for my wife to get in her name for just general purchases (I already use an Amex that I has pretty good rewards for all gas/groceries - something like 3x for groceries and 6x for gas)

Or does someone has a good recommendation on a cash back card? My other main card is a travel rewards and I'm just tired of that and don't really plan on doing all that much travelling so looking for cash back now.

What is the best website to use to find out the best cards and current offers for a cash rewards credit card? Looking for something for my wife to get in her name for just general purchases (I already use an Amex that I has pretty good rewards for all gas/groceries - something like 3x for groceries and 6x for gas)

Or does someone has a good recommendation on a cash back card? My other main card is a travel rewards and I'm just tired of that and don't really plan on doing all that much travelling so looking for cash back now.

So its not just a clever name

The points from the Chase Platinum just got me four tickets from CLT to Steamboat for kids' spring break - so that's sweet. In hindsight, I was an idiot for not getting a separate one for my wife.

We use the Capital One card that gives double points that can be used to erase travel charges at a 1% rate - so effectively you are getting 2% cash back that can be used for any travel charges - hotels, flights, whatever... we use it for everything and pay it off - easily earning over $100 a month in rewards... Are any of the other cards discussed here significantly better than that?

Citi double cash
2% on everything

We use the Capital One card that gives double points that can be used to erase travel charges at a 1% rate - so effectively you are getting 2% cash back that can be used for any travel charges - hotels, flights, whatever... we use it for everything and pay it off - easily earning over $100 a month in rewards... Are any of the other cards discussed here significantly better than that?

You can do significantly better than that, but it depends on how much you spend on travel and if you are willing to sacrifice some simplicity for better rewards.

Got approved for the Sapphire Preferred this week so I'll pair that with my Freedom to rack up some points. Should I just go ahead and transfer my Freedom points over to the Preferred? Is there an advantage one way or the other?

Got approved for the Sapphire Preferred this week so I'll pair that with my Freedom to rack up some points. Should I just go ahead and transfer my Freedom points over to the Preferred? Is there an advantage one way or the other?

Transfer your Freedom points to the Preferred. They then become Chase Ultimate Rewards points, which are way more flexible. You can then use them to transfer to travel partners (potentially the best value) or book directly on the chase travel portal (simpler, and still a better value than taking the cash back from the Freedom).

Transfer your Freedom points to the Preferred. They then become Chase Ultimate Rewards points, which are way more flexible. You can then use them to transfer to travel partners (potentially the best value) or book directly on the chase travel portal (simpler, and still a better value than taking the cash back from the Freedom).

10/4, thanks. Is it worth applying for the Unlimited down the road to get the 1.5% rewards over the 1% that aren't in rotating categories or travel/dining? Does Chase allow you to have all 3? Just trying to maximize rewards here, not worried about keeping up with all three, should be pretty straight forward. Freedom for 5% on quarterly category. Preferred for 2% on travel/dining. Unlimited for 1.5% on everything else? Then all points transferred to the Preferred?

Back