• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

So wifey and I went to Marcel's on Friday night for the first time in a number of years. It was absolutely fantastic. The service was impeccable and everything that we ordered was incredible. I really had forgotten how good this place is.

Also hit up Range for the first time yesterday for lunch. Thought it was great. It also helped that the chef gave us three dishes for free (we were sitting at the bar that looks into the kitchen). I would be interested in checking it out for dinner. The biggest problem with that though, is that it is a giant pain in the ass to get to.

I was just wondering this same thing yesterday while riding my bike at R and 17th. Seems separated from Dupont by a few residential blocks.

Hit up Copycat Co. last night. Good experience. $11 cocktails are good, not great, but they make up for it with the selection and the snacks. It's like $1.25 for a bao, and I had 2 of those and 4 dumplings for like $6 total and that was dinner.

It seemed like my friends and I were the only ones making a dinner out of it upstairs, though. Downstairs you can just go grab some food, but no cocktails. Upstairs it seemed like people were just having cocktails and snacks, but I showed up on a relatively empty stomach and strong as hell so I plowed through a good amount of food kind of awkwardly.

Did it just open recently? I dont' think I've heard of it before and I can't recall seeing it the last time I was out on H.

yea it's new, gets super packed upstairs pretty early. the food is monte

Devin opened CopyCat a couple months ago - he started out at Founding Farmers and was our favorite bartender there by far. He moved to Barmini for a while before setting out on his own. The cocktail menu is a really cool idea - it's like a mind map of classic styles of cocktails with variations of each style branching outward. He's training his bartenders in the same way, making sure they get all the classics down before they start trying to invent jade infused rum tiki chipotle anise foam crap. He'll do dealer's choice variations based on what you like - and they're usually really damn good. Can't really speak for the rest of the bartending crew yet but I'm sure it's a learning process.

He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, so we're really hoping his place does well.

speaking of bartenders, apparently Gina is leaving Hank's to focus on her kids and Buffalo and Bergen

Don't wanna start a new thread but I'm going to DC this weekend for a wizards and caps game. Been to DC a million times and have seen all the typical touristy things. Any locals have any ideas for me on neat things to see?

Think I'm going to the Georgetown area Saturday afternoon and would like to catch a good buzz off some good beer. I think there's a bier garden type deal in the area?

speaking of bartenders, apparently Gina is leaving Hank's to focus on her kids and Buffalo and Bergen

Bummer. Still in good hands with the bartenders they have at Eddy Bar though. Hopefully she'll keep working the Repeal Day Ball, it was great this year.

Don't wanna start a new thread but I'm going to DC this weekend for a wizards and caps game. Been to DC a million times and have seen all the typical touristy things. Any locals have any ideas for me on neat things to see?

Think I'm going to the Georgetown area Saturday afternoon and would like to catch a good buzz off some good beer. I think there's a bier garden type deal in the area?

Pizza Paradiso has a pretty good beer list.

Georgetown on a Saturday afternoon? You and 50K of your closest friends...

As far as Biergartens, most of the outdoor spaces will be closed for winter, but Saufhaus Biergarten is nearby-ish in the Dupont Circle area has indoor space too. I've never been there, but it looks like it fits your bill. The best biergartens, The Standard and Dascha are both closed for the winter.

Georgetown on a Saturday afternoon? You and 50K of your closest friends...

As far as Biergartens, most of the outdoor spaces will be closed for winter, but Saufhaus Biergarten is nearby-ish in the Dupont Circle area has indoor space too. I've never been there, but it looks like it fits your bill. The best biergartens, The Standard and Dascha are both closed for the winter.

I like Saufhaus. Dacha is a cool spot but it has become almost 100% a gay bar. It was slowly morphing that way and the last two times I have gone it looked like the transformation was complete.

Devin opened CopyCat a couple months ago - he started out at Founding Farmers and was our favorite bartender there by far. He moved to Barmini for a while before setting out on his own. The cocktail menu is a really cool idea - it's like a mind map of classic styles of cocktails with variations of each style branching outward. He's training his bartenders in the same way, making sure they get all the classics down before they start trying to invent jade infused rum tiki chipotle anise foam crap. He'll do dealer's choice variations based on what you like - and they're usually really damn good. Can't really speak for the rest of the bartending crew yet but I'm sure it's a learning process.

He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, so we're really hoping his place does well.

Yeah, that makes sense. The first drink I had (Monte Carlo) was excellent, the Sazerac was lacking and had too much sugar. Fuck I sound like a privileged white person.

Anyway we went at like 7-7:30 on a Wednesday and the bar was full but there were 4 or 5 bar tables open. No problems at all. Good chill music.

Checking out Crane & Turtle tonight. Anyone been? I'm pretty cised to check it out.

C&T was awesome last night. I really enjoyed everything we got. It's a very chill atmosphere and the staff were all wicked nice. I will most defs be going back.

Going to the Oval Room next weekend. Apparently it is much better since they redid it. Anyone been recently?

love that area up by C&T. taken 2 dates to petworth citizen across the street. neither worked out. might have to rethink that strategy.

Back