• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

I mean if we're going to do fantasy urban planning, K st NW should be something like La Rambla in Barcelona. We had a chance for a nice streetcar on that stretch too, but nope #thanksbowser. Permanent pedestrian zones just aren't going to happen in DC. The AAA Mid-atlantic commuter lobby is just too powerful.

For the Caps/Wiz, excuse me while I grab my popcorn to see this proposal get through Alexandria city council and the Virginia general assembly.

You talking the NE corridor streetcar? That was setup for failure by DC on purpose.

In this fantasy world is the purple line finished yet?

My dad would have got it done by now but Maryland instead went with the cheaper option that is now several years and several billion dollars over.

Come back DCDeac, defend your take more

View attachment 7232
This just supports my take better than any other way I can think of.

It's no secret that DC has been just atrociously managed across dozens of avenues before, during, and after COVID. Where to even start? We paid a fortune as a company for easily the worst suite in the history of sports last year for Caps games. The description wasn't even CLOSE to what was delivered - cold, awful food. No booze refills, a fridge that didn't work. A total joke. Suite next to us same deal. Year after year of just ignoring the teams and their ownerships' requests. And hey, I'm sure there are fans somewhere out there of how DC has managed crime over the past few years in Chinatown, but probably not my buddy who had a guy die in front of his house nearby or the husband of a coworker who was shot last year. Doing fine now by the way. The city can cry all they want about losing revenue - nobody said they won't lose a ton of tax revenue. They went for money grabs rewarding Nando's and Chipotle and chain after chain downtown forcing out small businesses, preventing any development and pushing all the investments to dumps like Union Market (now awesome, but not back then) and the burbs.

WMATA funding is struggling? Oh no! If only someone would pay millions and millions of dollars to feed WMATA by building a new station! Oh right, the City of Alexandria just did that. With zero stolen tax dollars and zero WMATA funding because they encouraged private development. You'd think Atlanta would have been a warning sign to metro areas who think they're just guaranteed their local sports team forever regardless of the investments they make or the dumps they overcharge them to play in. Guess not.

Having listened to a week of call-ins, radio coverage from the Fan and elsewhere, locals, etc - the fact that DC simply screwed this up and is getting what they deserve is like 75% of the input. Sad to see team leave the district? Sure. Will it suck for tax revenue? Yep. Will it suck for Guy Fiere's place? Oh no! Sure beats Landover, MD... Speaking of which this will probably help force the Commanders back to the RFK site, Nats stadium still great, and Caps/Wiz will be 3 metro stops further from the new stadium than the ballpark is, just yellow instead of green. Whining DC folks need to take it up with their city leadership, not throw stones at Virginia.

this just reeks of someone who doesn’t rely on city services and can laugh at its struggles from their perch in old money NW, so I’ll leave it alone. We agree the city mismanaged this deal in particular, but to laugh at the problems this will cause because you had bad box seats and CRIME is just…go live in the suburbs already.

I bet you’d enjoy Reston or Falls Church. Probably Bethesda. DC just doesn’t seem for you.

@TownieDeac but DC has neglected the area. The money and development has been pushed to the wharf for the last 5 years. It’s nice what they did for Audi field and the Nats but Chinatown definitely has not seen the same push, when it really needed it after Covid. Even with the talk about RFK revitalization, nothing has been done that would entice the team to that area. It will be terrible for the City and the businesses in Chinatown if the teams leave and the blame will lay mostly with a greedy owner, but the DC politicians should not be seen as blameless either.

oof. i don't think anyone really disagrees that much (that the current situation isn't ideal).

my guess is dcdeac is trying to be pragmatic and long-term and that being "punished" for bad decisions will lead to better decisions, an actually good product and more benefits for everyone long-term.

but there's a big downside to that which all dc residents will feel. but different people will feel it to very varying degrees (from the people whose livelihood was attached to those sporting events / that neighborhood ecosystem, to what townie i think accurately describes as old money NW who literally won't notice it for more than a second). so i can see why you wouldn't see that cost being worth it if you are more empathetic to the former.

im a pretty selfish person so i probably lean more towards latter camp (but without really knowing the true repercussions, so who knows). ^but goddamn please do not make another wharf. esp the stupid anthem that RUINED the dc music scene

Last edited:
@TownieDeac but DC has neglected the area. The money and development has been pushed to the wharf for the last 5 years. It’s nice what they did for Audi field and the Nats but Chinatown definitely has not seen the same push, when it really needed it after Covid. Even with the talk about RFK revitalization, nothing has been done that would entice the team to that area. It will be terrible for the City and the businesses in Chinatown if the teams leave and the blame will lay mostly with a greedy owner, but the DC politicians should not be seen as blameless either.
How many more hundreds of millions before you ask the property developers what the issue is? You want govt to stop them from forcing out small business? It still has the Portrait Gallery and loads of great stuff within five blocks walk of Gallery Place, which is basically the dead center of every single metro line.

The Wharf sucks shit, it’s a soulless pit, and I don’t want Chinatown to be that.

And of course DC politicians aren’t blameless but they’re also in a weird position very unlike most municipalities where they’re tied up in having to balance their budget and never go in the red to make big investments in things that matter.

I just can’t stomach the take that thousands will lose jobs, dozens will lose businesses, and the loss of tax revenue for the city will ultimately make things that much worse, and that is a good and righteous outcome because the billionaire stadium owners (including the Qatari govt) hasn’t been given enough additional incentive to stay with more free shit.

Went to Yellow in Georgetown Saturday morning. Bakery/cafe owned by the same people as Albi. The lamb shoulder pita was probably the best thing I've had in a while. Insanely good. Still craving it a day after. Gf and I were in Georgetown just to return something but I'd make a special trip and deal with the clusterfuck that is Georgetown just to have the pita again.

Had a great meal at Arepa Zone tonight. It's a fast casual place near Thomas circle. Little pricy for arepas but they make the corn cakes to order and they stuff it very generously. Also serve cachapas (similar to arepas except the bread is more like a corn pancake, also made to order), croquetas and empanadas. Their desserts looked amazing too. Definitely will go back and get delivery from there.

Back