• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Anyone been to Cranes? Thinking about it for my wife’s birthday.
Next on my list for a special occasion. I was in Tyson's for a weekend recently and hit his other spot Jiwa Singapura. We did the tasting menu and liked it so much we went back the next night for a la carte.

Hell no. Great news, that arena is awful and DC was never going to spend the money to make it competitive.

The Potomac Yard site is like 4 miles from there. New metro stop, facilities will be ridiculous, should be completely awesome. Now just move FedEx somewhere reasonable.

Hell no. Great news, that arena is awful and DC was never going to spend the money to make it competitive.

The Potomac Yard site is like 4 miles from there. New metro stop, facilities will be ridiculous, should be completely awesome. Now just move FedEx somewhere reasonable.
Username...doesn't check out? I kid, I kid. I'm just glad I'm not a VA taxpayer handing out corporate welfare all the while not pulling a fair share on WMATA.

yeah i don't really care much either, chinatown and the surrounding areas are maybe my least fav area in dc.

Ha what a terrible take. Thousands of jobs in the area gone, anchoring tons of businesses to the area that will shutter in the second wave. The “four miles away” is a silly distinction if you care about the quality of life in the actual district. Hundreds of millions of development dollars down the drain the last decade developing Chinatown, and it just contributes to the narrative about the death of downtown DC.

I know for me personally it goes from about a 20 min metro ride door to door to 55 too.

But alas this is America trying to make cities compete with suburbs, a century of the country undoing itself.

idk, i think downtown dc actually does suck, it's generic and soul-less and already outdated imo. i think if the teams move they can transition it into something better.

idk, i think downtown dc actually does suck, it's generic and soul-less and already outdated imo. i think if the teams move they can transition it into something better.
Like what

I don’t love Penn Quarter or downtown or Chinatown either, don’t spend a ton of time there, but this loss of tax revenue plus the wmata budget proposal sure look like a death spiral

DC had every opportunity to keep the area relevant after the massive boost it received from the arena being there. I worked in Chinatown for 7 years, watched it first hand year after year. I've seen the hardball played with the cool new restaurants as they were evicted and had to run to Shaw, Barracks Row, etc. and chains survived to shovel $28 guac at folks.

This is simply deserved. DC residents can cry and whine about it all they want, it's just sour grapes. Maybe it'll teach them a lesson about not dropping all investment after an area gets a boost from development. You have all these great examples with Union Market, H Street, the Wharf, everything around Nats Stadium, etc. Jumpstart investments and continued support. Ownership complained for YEARS about the lack of investment, only to be ignored. You're not just entitled to tax revenue for no reason. Yeesh.

Also the "oh no it's 20 more minutes via Metro" is absolutely laughable, and is simple "DC isn't the DMV" snobbery. FedEx is a million times less convenient, Old Town is a wonderful area, DCA is maybe the best airport in the country. This is not some "so far away from DC it ruins everything" situation for a pro team most folks will visit a few times a year.

DC had every opportunity to keep the area relevant after the massive boost it received from the arena being there. I worked in Chinatown for 7 years, watched it first hand year after year. I've seen the hardball played with the cool new restaurants as they were evicted and had to run to Shaw, Barracks Row, etc. and chains survived to shovel $28 guac at folks.

This is simply deserved. DC residents can cry and whine about it all they want, it's just sour grapes. Maybe it'll teach them a lesson about not dropping all investment after an area gets a boost from development. You have all these great examples with Union Market, H Street, the Wharf, everything around Nats Stadium, etc. Jumpstart investments and continued support. Ownership complained for YEARS about the lack of investment, only to be ignored. You're not just entitled to tax revenue for no reason. Yeesh.

Also the "oh no it's 20 more minutes via Metro" is absolutely laughable, and is simple "DC isn't the DMV" snobbery. FedEx is a million times less convenient, Old Town is a wonderful area, DCA is maybe the best airport in the country. This is not some "so far away from DC it ruins everything" situation for a pro team most folks will visit a few times a year.
Lol go live somewhere else if you hate it this much. Who are you mad at here, property developers? It really shouldn’t be district residents who have fuck all to do with decisions like this but suffer the consequences anyway.

No reason for me to cross the river for the worst run franchise in the NBA.

It’s like two blocks from the southern exits of the stadium to all the Jose Andres spots, Daikaya and a handful of awesome hole in the wall Chinatown spots, some underrated bars like Crimson. I’m not headed there as my first choice if there’s not a game or something else close by happening but to say the area hasn’t been developed in the last decade is crazy too. There are plenty of fine fast casual spots that are nice for a quick bite before a game too, which is nice. Maybe you’re dropping $28 on guacamole, I’m happy to get poke bowls or &pizza or Nandos or any of the three dozen cheap eats that are perfectly serviceable right there that surely will now be even more challenged to stay around. What a shitty take.

Imagine siding with the billionaire awful owners of the Washington Wizards simply could not be me. I imagine you’re holed up somewhere nice north of the park in a big old mansion with these bozo takes. For the average working person who likes a casual night out downtown to catch a game this shit sucks.

City Center was finished less than ten years ago and it was a 950 million dollar investment. Combine that with all the hotel and apartment complexes popping up in that area. Your insinuation that they just "dropped all investments" in that area is plain wrong.

man I remember how hilarious it was seeing Shakedown Street before the 2015 Dead & Company show at the Verizon Center and then the subsequent spun out folks huffing nitrous balloons after the show

Like what

I don’t love Penn Quarter or downtown or Chinatown either, don’t spend a ton of time there, but this loss of tax revenue plus the wmata budget proposal sure look like a death spiral

Seriously, what's an example of a super awesome, soulful and unique arena that's totally worth hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars? At least Capital One Center reinvigorated an area.

idk and i don't know much about the economics of cities that much (even tho i had a class on that at wake).

but things i might find personally appealing would be something like making everything from chinatown west to the white-house a car-free zone like you would see in munich or some other european cities.

back when navy yard was still early, yards park was super green and open and would have outdoor concerts and other events and those would get packed. i felt like it was much more of a destination back then before it got super built up with commercial stuff.

i'm sure balancing capitalist interests and central planning / restrictions for these neighborhoods is particularly tough. i think navy yard is maybe an example. i've always said (perhaps ignorantly) that the target (and rest of that shopping center) ruined the potential of columbia heights which ostensibly should have been a super appealing area. but maybe that's just me talking and other people like it.

I mean if we're going to do fantasy urban planning, K st NW should be something like La Rambla in Barcelona. We had a chance for a nice streetcar on that stretch too, but nope #thanksbowser. Permanent pedestrian zones just aren't going to happen in DC. The AAA Mid-atlantic commuter lobby is just too powerful.

For the Caps/Wiz, excuse me while I grab my popcorn to see this proposal get through Alexandria city council and the Virginia general assembly.

While the wmata budget proposes shutting down the Potomac Yard metro

Back