• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Bump to chime on the suburbs talk. Looks like we're buying in Takoma Park MD. Still walkable and reasonable commute, but with so much more space!
Love me some Takoma Park, enjoy! If we were able to buy in a close in suburb it’d be my choice. Good vibes. Takoma Beverage Company and Girl and the Vine are great.

Ensemble was this clever idea by a couple restaurants in DC to have a MD outpost where you could pick up. Fed Pig, a pizza joint and a chicken place all shared a space with a kitchen where you could pick up from each one. Probably did well during Covid and probably didn’t hurt that they closed off a street nearby and put up picnic tables.

Well apparently that wasn’t enough because as I got ready to order some BBQ today I looked at the app only to see that they had closed down.

Now I have to go to Adams Morgan for Fed Pig.

If there are any Falls Church folks out there, just a quick verification that Takumi, in its little strip mall footprint, is still putting out elite sushi. Some of their chef’s choice options were Nakazawa-level last week.

If there are any Falls Church folks out there, just a quick verification that Takumi, in its little strip mall footprint, is still putting out elite sushi. Some of their chef’s choice options were Nakazawa-level last week.
My aunt and uncle used to live in Falls Church before retiring and we went to Peking Gourmet every time we visited them. It's probably my favorite Asian cuisine ever.

Trying to think of a toddler friendly place for dinner after Air and space today. I was thinking the Greek place in DuPont. Other suggestions?

Lots of places just up 7th in Penn Quarter would be totally fine to go to with a toddler. Jaleo, Matchbox, Carmines, Hill Country come to mind right away. And it’s a lot closer than Dupont

Jaleo was a big hit with my 2 year old, he loved the paella

Ate at Filomena this past week. Stayed in GTown and asked my son to pick a place to meet for dinner. Holy shit the serving sizes. Good food and a nice Montepulciano.

Jont was absolutely incredible by the way. Just one lights-out dish after another, everything flawless. Pretty amazing watching how they orchestrate such a complex menu in an open kitchen like that. Also got some free bubbly thanks to a few members of the Michelin team being in attendance along with a few quick speeches and stories about opening such an ambitious restaurant during Covid. Fun stuff.

Side note we did the El Cielo tasing menu last week and it was pretty good, but for the hoopla and money a little disappointing. Not really into the theater of washing hands in chocolate and it was nowhere near the same world as Jont for example. Definitely some good stuff just a bit of a miss.

@DCDeac choosing to shell out for Jont instead of the default choice (Sushi Ogawa) for my birthday based on these posts, don't let me down.

also just had another meh experience at emmy squared, still can't find pizza i really like in the city. i've heard people who really like andy's but i've never been blown away either. maybe it's just a me problem.

@DCDeac choosing to shell out for Jont instead of the default choice (Sushi Ogawa) for my birthday based on these posts, don't let me down.

also just had another meh experience at emmy squared, still can't find pizza i really like in the city. i've heard people who really like andy's but i've never been blown away either. maybe it's just a me problem.
Have you had pizza anywhere you like?

Pete’s New Haven apizza is my fav in the city

Timber and Sonny’s are the best close to me

I like We, The Pizza for just a greasy mess

Still haven’t had Martha Dear

I've actually only had We, The Pizza of those -- for some reason I don't make it up to "deep" NW. Although that does make me recall that 2 Amy's was prob my fav sober pizza experience in DC.

I've been eying Pete's for a while but the mixed online reviews scare me off, def gonna check it out.

Also my googling of the situation also suggests part of my issue is my own lazy ass relying on delivery too much.

I've actually only had We, The Pizza of those -- for some reason I don't make it up to "deep" NW. Although that does make me recall that 2 Amy's was prob my fav sober pizza experience in DC.

I've been eying Pete's for a while but the mixed online reviews scare me off, def gonna check it out.

Also my googling of the situation also suggests part of my issue is my own lazy ass relying on delivery too much.
Have you tried Wise Guys at 300 Mass Ave NW

It’s on the delivery apps but a large pizza after all the fees is something ridiculous like $50

Good tho

anyone make it to el presidente (union market) or death and co (blagden) yet?

Back