• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chinatown DC -- Cool / inexpensive Restruants?

Checked out Duck and the Peach last night. Had a couple of really good things (the hamachi crudo and the scallop were standouts) and a couple of things that were totally fine (the main course rotisserie duck, which I was most excited for, was underwhelming). Overall we liked the vibe and what they're trying to do, so we'll definitely try it out again at some point, it just might be a minute.

^wasnt a big fan of duck and the peach.

went to baby shank on u street last week and came away impressed.

Queens English again tonight. Only a few things have changed on the menu from last summer, the crispy whole snapper is still incredible. They also added a scallion pancake with octopus and prosciutto and drunken noodles cooked in duck fat with duck confit and chili oil. It’s all so delicious.

Thip Khao just always delivers.

Papaya salad, laab, crispy fish, moak, chicken hearts, everything every time so good.
Their rice cured pork belly dish is probably my favorite dish in DC. Live like a 5 minute walk from them and go there at least once a month.

Did Tonari tonight and really enjoyed it. Loved the pastas especially the uni one. Thought the pizza was ok. It's Detroit style but it's not as crispy as Emma Squared's is. Didn't get to try everything on their menu and would definitely go back to try it. It's Japanese/Italian fusion so there was some pretty interesting stuff

I've never been to Thip Khao. No real reason why not, just haven't. I'll have to check out Tonari. When I worked in Chinatown pre-pandemic I would have absolutely tried it, but now that I don't work in that office any more (or any office, really), I just don't go to Chinatown all that much so I don't really think about it.

Going to Corduroy tomorrow night with friends. I'd forgotten that place even existed until they suggested it. I honestly can't remember the last time I was there, but it could have been close to 10 years ago.

i drunkenly made reservations for oyster oyster tonight a month and a half ago that i only noticed on my phone calendar today, what a nice surprise.

the one time i went to thip khao i thought everything was too spicy and didn't have a good experience, but i really like hanumanh although it appears to be temporarily(?) shut down.

Anyone been to Cranes? Thinking about it for my wife’s birthday.

I've been once and thought it was great. It's certainly something different from most places around town given it's Spanish/Japanese fusion thing.

We did it about a year and a half ago. It was really good, but it cost Texa$. I'm more in search of 'value' fancy places. We went to Causa (in Blagden Alley) in February and it was excellent and good value.

I guess it just all depends. I loved Causa and want to go back soon, but we defs spent more money there then we did at Cranes.

i've been to cranes six times according to resy, i think i've always gotten the prix fixe. it unsurprisingly got boring (they've barely changed the menu) and i don't love the protein entrees (which is a pretty common thing for me) but the starter and earlier courses are amazing and their desert is one of my favorites.

also they have a good sake selection, i'm not a huge sake person but they have some real funky ones that are pretty interesting.

Reposting this in the correct thread:

Although this is a food thread, it's really a DC thread so I'll put this here. Next month will be 20 years that we've lived in DC, and for the first time we are looking to leave the District (and in fact looked at some houses over the weekend). Wifey is far more eager to get out than I am, but I totally understand all of her reasons/complaints. We don't really have a specific area in mind, except that some reasonable distance to Baltimore would be nice for my job (I rarely have to go in, but I don't want a 2 hour drive on the times that I do), and my parents live in Annapolis, so I don't want to get too far from there. We may ultimately not end up moving, but this is the first time we've even remotely considered it since we moved here. Sad.

And to answer your question from the other thread, Townie, violent crime is a big part of it. Our neighbor getting carjacked in front of our house a couple weeks ago was maybe the final straw for my wife.

Reposting this in the correct thread:

Although this is a food thread, it's really a DC thread so I'll put this here. Next month will be 20 years that we've lived in DC, and for the first time we are looking to leave the District (and in fact looked at some houses over the weekend). Wifey is far more eager to get out than I am, but I totally understand all of her reasons/complaints. We don't really have a specific area in mind, except that some reasonable distance to Baltimore would be nice for my job (I rarely have to go in, but I don't want a 2 hour drive on the times that I do), and my parents live in Annapolis, so I don't want to get too far from there. We may ultimately not end up moving, but this is the first time we've even remotely considered it since we moved here. Sad.

And to answer your question from the other thread, Townie, violent crime is a big part of it. Our neighbor getting carjacked in front of our house a couple weeks ago was maybe the final straw for my wife.
Did you live in Truxton Circle 20 years ago? Proximity to B-more and Naptown have Howard County written all over it.

My brother and his wife are in Rockville. They seem to like it and my parents enjoy visiting. I dated a girl for 4 years starting at Wake that lived in Rockville and always had a decent time but part of the draw was DC.

He works in Baltimore and his wife works in Pentagon City.

There is a part of me that would like to work out of DC and just take the train from somewhere between there and Charlottesville a few days a week to the office while working remotely the rest of the time.

If I had the $, the only DC adjacent area I’d want to live in is Tacoma Park. But we’re pretty priced out of buying anywhere fun.

Did you live in Truxton Circle 20 years ago? Proximity to B-more and Naptown have Howard County written all over it.
We've lived in our current house for almost 11 years. We were in Glover Park for our first 9. This neighborhood was iffy when we first moved in terms of crime, but got better every year until around 2020-21 when the pandemic was going strong. Since 2021, the violence has ramped up significantly. Since the beginning of 2022, there was a drive-by half a block down, a murder directly across the street from my house (where my living room window was also hit, and which I have on video), numerous fights and other late night disturbances (all of which I have on camera), a homeless dude started terrorizing our neighborhood and our friends' neigborhood in Brookland (just got sentenced last week to 28 mos in jail for it), and now the carjacking.

Howard County isn't gonna make the cut, that's for sure. There just isn't anything I like out there. We are looking at Annapolis, but that's REAL close to my parents and my mom will be all up in our shit every single day. But at least there is some stuff there and some decent restaurants.

My brother and his wife are in Rockville. They seem to like it and my parents enjoy visiting. I dated a girl for 4 years starting at Wake that lived in Rockville and always had a decent time but part of the draw was DC.

He works in Baltimore and his wife works in Pentagon City.

There is a part of me that would like to work out of DC and just take the train from somewhere between there and Charlottesville a few days a week to the office while working remotely the rest of the time.
I've thought about Rockville, and admittedly haven't been there in many years, but that doesn't really hold much appeal for me. I always figured that if I was going that direction that it would be Frederick before Rockville.

If I had the $, the only DC adjacent area I’d want to live in is Tacoma Park. But we’re pretty priced out of buying anywhere fun.
Yeah, I don't really wanna spend Tacoma Park money. There is some stuff in Silver Spring that is better priced, but I don't think that's really where I want to be either. One of our friends suggested Mt. Rainer/Brentwood/Hyattsville, but I'm not sure how much better that would really be.

Yeah, I don't really wanna spend Tacoma Park money. There is some stuff in Silver Spring that is better priced, but I don't think that's really where I want to be either. One of our friends suggested Mt. Rainer/Brentwood/Hyattsville, but I'm not sure how much better that would really be.
Hyattsville has some nice spots but the two metro stops are either sketchy or too suburban for my taste

I just don’t like the DC suburbs

Back