• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best "College Town"

Best "College Town"

• Total voters
Chapel Hill y'all. If you can ignore all the baby blue, it's an awesome town.

I live in the Chapel Hill area so it's hard for me to not select it #1 on this list, but I do have to say that I very rarely venture down to Franklin St anymore because little ol Carrboro is where it's at.

I consider a college town to be one that exists for supporting the college. When you mention the town the first thing that comes to mind is the school that's there. I'd say that Columbus, Austin, and Madison are just on the edge of the line, but the schools there dictate a huge portion of life there. Something like Boston or NYC is a town that happens to have a lot of colleges (because they're so damn big); fun places to go to school, but not college towns in the traditional sense. That said, I love Athens and Chapel Hill.

I live in the Chapel Hill area so it's hard for me to not select it #1 on this list, but I do have to say that I very rarely venture down to Franklin St anymore because little ol Carrboro is where it's at.

Absolutely, I was definitely including Carrboro as part of my vote. Love that area of town. And I probs went to Speakeasy more times than I can count my senior year.

Madison is sweet because it has the two lakes. The best time of year to take advantage of that largely takes place when the students are gone.

Madison gets pretty cold in the winter. Austin gets pretty hot in the summer.

Madison is sweet because it has the two lakes. The best time of year to take advantage of that largely takes place when the students are gone.

Madison gets pretty cold in the winter. Austin gets pretty hot in the summer.

This is the view from the English department at Madison:

8848715.jpg

Austin is the shit but not really a college town in my eyes. Chapel hill has always been overrated, especially their women. Clemson is dumpy and bars close at 12 on saturdays. Athens takes it for me because of its insane amount of bars and having a great tailgating scene.

I always liked Clemson. That whole town revolves around the school

I don't see how you can vote for these places that are cold as fuck for 4 months a year. Peace out Madison, Ann Arbor.

Having been to Athens and Austin many times each, I can easily say that Austin is superior. Nothing against Athens, I would put it just as quickly as the second best college town I've been to. Just goes to show the sheer awesomeness that is Austin.

So i'm not gonna lie, I made this poll back in 2011 in part to figure out where I wanted to spend the next decade of my life. It worked.

Having been to Athens and Austin many times each, I can easily say that Austin is superior. Nothing against Athens, I would put it just as quickly as the second best college town I've been to. Just goes to show the sheer awesomeness that is Austin.

Hard to describe a place with 1M inhabitants as a college town.

Absolutely, I was definitely including Carrboro as part of my vote. Love that area of town. And I probs went to Speakeasy more times than I can count my senior year.

speaks to the academic integrity of chapel hill

can you really be a state capital and a college town???

choir reminds want to know

this is the view 10 days a year when its not a frigid wasteland, amirite?

It was like this the week I visited (I can't remember if I took this photo or found it on the internet). I found out later, it was all a lie.

Back