• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

#1 QB Gunner Kiel decommits from Indiana

O'Brien's work with Matt McGloin this past year was t shelf. In McGloin's last year under JoePa, he was the worst QB in the B1G. Under O'Brien, he was the best passing QB in the league.

This would be the dumb answer. Obrien is a great coach overall and clearly knows how to produce an nfl qb.

Clearly knows how? He became QB coach for the Pats in 2009, you know years after Tom Brady won 3 Super Bowls and 2 Super Bowl MVPs. He didn't develop or produce an NFL QB, he was handed a HOF QB. Not saying the guy cannot coach or cannot develop a QB, but crediting him with anything to do with Tom Brady's development is LOL homerism at its finest.

His brother goes there, yes. He's also from Indiana. I was surprised by his commitment but a bit more surprised by his decommitment. Didn't strike me as the kid that would back out of a verbal (at least from the articles I've read on him). But whatevs. IU football sucks.

LOL

Clearly knows how? He became QB coach for the Pats in 2009, you know years after Tom Brady won 3 Super Bowls and 2 Super Bowl MVPs. He didn't develop or produce an NFL QB, he was handed a HOF QB. Not saying the guy cannot coach or cannot develop a QB, but crediting him with anything to do with Tom Brady's development is LOL homerism at its finest.

i know i read this somewhere, but sometimes penn state people like to twist facts around to make up their own reality.

Whoaa....absolutely right. When I looked further back at his history, when he started in NE he was an assistant, but like yuo said, didn't move to OC until 2009...not 2007 like I thought. Didn't know he had a stop at Duke either...

i know i read this somewhere, but sometimes penn state people like to twist facts around to make up their own reality.

Just take a look at the progression McGloin made under O'Brien. In JoePa's final year, McGloin threw for 1571 yards, with 8 Tds and 5 picks. Then O'Brien comes in and McGloin throws for 3271 yards, with 24 Tds and 5 picks. Considering PSU lost its running game to USC when Slias Redd transferred, and every defense knew PSU was one dimensional, that's a pretty good season for a guy who was basically crap before O'Brien arrived.

I hate PSU athletics. I am from the same town as McGloin and teach at his former elementary school. He wasn't even dominant in AAA high school football. One of my good friends, who more than likely was hung over for their game, picked him off 4 times in one hs game. This team was loaded for our areas standards. If you would have ever told me he'd start on ANY NCAA D1 school I would have told you your crazy. If you would have told me he'd have the best passing stats in a BCS conference for a season, I would have bet everything I had against it. Tom O'Brien is a damn good QB coach.

I hate PSU athletics. I am from the same town as McGloin and teach at his former elementary school. He wasn't even dominant in AAA high school football. One of my good friends, who more than likely was hung over for their game, picked him off 4 times in one hs game. This team was loaded for our areas standards. If you would have ever told me he'd start on ANY NCAA D1 school I would have told you your crazy. If you would have told me he'd have the best passing stats in a BCS conference for a season, I would have bet everything I had against it. Tom O'Brien is a damn good QB coach.

This is why you hate Penn State athletics? Kidding.

Hahaha I've hated psu football my entire life. Growing up in pennsylvania, the fans everywhere can be insufferable. The campus is absolutely awesome and I've never had a bad time there. I am the farthest thing from a homer but I can't ignore the good things obrien has been able to do.

Scranton is absolute shithole. My parents grew up there and we haven't been back in 20+years.

Scranton is absolute shithole. My parents grew up there and we haven't been back in 20+years.

Sure is. I grew up in the suburbs in a nice town called Clarks Summit. If you haven't been back in 20 years and you thought it was bad then, its worse now. Any idea where abouts in Scranton they grew up? So I am technically not from McGloins hometown because he was from Scranton and I grew up in a surrounding town.

Sure is. I grew up in the suburbs in a nice town called Clarks Summit. If you haven't been back in 20 years and you thought it was bad then, its worse now. Any idea where abouts in Scranton they grew up? So I am technically not from McGloins hometown because he was from Scranton and I grew up in a surrounding town.

They grew up in Clarks Summit. Small world.

"To be honest
I'm just
reevaLuating my decision," Kiel said. "I just want to go out and see
Other places and see if IU is the right place."
"I think I made the right decision," he said of his original pledge. "Things happen. I thought hard about it but decided to go out and
reeValuate it."
"I just called him and told him I was re-evaluating my decision and will go out and visit some more schools," Kiel said.
"Yeah, I'm showing
somE interest in Notre Dame," Kiel said. "I'm looking forward to a great atmosphere. That's definitely a big rivalry game and it should be a lot of fun."
"I'm going to consider some other schools but I'm going to keep the (list) kind of personal right now," he said. "I just want to stay low again."
"Really just the same stuff I looked at last time," he said. "There's three main things: education, how well the coaching staff gets along with the players and how the players interact with each other and if they're a big family."
"I'm just a
Little nicked up, a little
sOre," Kiel said. "Coach just told me to rest up this week and get healthy for our next opponent next week. I could have played, I felt really healthy. I came out here and warmed up with the guys and was running around. I was good to go, just a little sore. I'll
Be alright."
"I'm still going
tO graduate at the end of the semester," he said. "I'm on the right path and have my grades looking good and I'm ready to go."

The signs are clear as day. We got this.

Last edited:
Back