• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

10 Most Recognizable People on the Planet

The people on these boards are so dumb that the parodies give the most accurate responses

Putin is probably top 3 and so is Xi Jinping. I would bet Narendra Modi is up there.

I know Messi and Ronaldo are incredible soccer players but if the entire country of America would have zero clue what they look like, does that disqualify them from the top 10 list?

Your backwoods colloquial ass realizes that less than 5% of the earth's population lives in Merica right?

Federer or Nadal maybe?

I would be curious to hear Tejas, Vad, and other expatriates weigh in, because I am certain that are some strong western biases at play.

Too many westerners, for sure. Sachin Tendulkar is by far the most famous person in a country of 1.5 billion people, and would be instantly recognizable to nearly every single person from an entire region that makes up 1/4rd of the world's population, for example. He'd definitely need to be on that list. Same with Salman Khan. Basically - not nearly enough Asians and far too many western europeans / Americans. We frequently forgot that more than 40% of the world's population lives in just India, China, Indonesia and Pakistan. Doesn't mean that Hollywood figures don't penetrate those markets (they do), but they have their own celebrities and leaders that occupy their headlines and draw attention of a huge part of the world's population.

I know Messi and Ronaldo are incredible soccer players but if the entire country of America would have zero clue what they look like, does that disqualify them from the top 10 list?

The United States is really not that large population wise, in the grand scheme of things. You wouldn't disqualify from the top 10 because nobody in Pakistan recognized them, and Pakistan is fully 50% of the US population. Messi and Ronaldo are the most famous athletes in the most popular sport in the world, and on countless televisions globally. They'd have to be on the list.

After Shaka becomes the WF coach, and wins 10 NCAA titles in a row, he'll be #1 on this list.

I forgot Tiger, he has to be top 10.

The most recognized living Indian, at least within India, is Amitabh Bachchan. If that's no longer the case, then a lot has changed over the last few years from when I lived there.

Back