• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

10 States Most Dependent on the Federal Government

I'm not sure why the picture for Montana is of Charlotte...

12 of Top 15 are red states....8 of the Top 10 least on the gov't teat are blue and one (NV is fully purple)....

Mostly poor/rural or border states.

They're very business-friendly and resource poor, which is a bad combination for middle class and poor citizens. They have the right economic incentives for low-tax, low-regulation to bring in businesses to set up shop in their states, but no natural resources to exploit (with the exception of the NW states starting to frack). And those incentives don't do much for raising funds for state funded services, so they end up suckling the federal teat for basic shit.

They're very business-friendly and resource poor, which is a bad combination for middle class and poor citizens. They have the right economic incentives for low-tax, low-regulation to bring in businesses to set up shop in their states, but no natural resources to exploit (with the exception of the NW states starting to frack). And those incentives don't do much for raising funds for state funded services, so they end up suckling the federal teat for basic shit.

So wait, you're saying the businesses pay low taxes and enjoy low regs to move there, but then the state has no money to offer services with because there is no coal or oil, so they beg for federal funds? These funds pay for the services that the employees of said companies rely on?

So....its the companies who come out on top? Almost like...some kind of weird corporate welfare thingy but not really because, well, its complicated, they don't get a check in the mail per se.....hey what are the Kardashians up to? Obama is bad.....football is on!

Surely I'm oversimplifying all this, but some of the institutional poverty from said states comes from the effects of post-industrialization and post-agriculture modern America. When it became cost prohibitive for factories to operate in places (because of those nasty union thingys), they moved elsewhere, and the only way to entice businesses back is to make sure that they get tax incentives and a hands-off, no regulation approach from state governments. And part of that means that there are no governing bodies protecting workers rights to unionize or lobby for fair wages. But by all means, what these states need is simply more businesses and fewer handouts. Not like taxes could be used to pay for infrastructure or a safety net the state is otherwise not able to afford, you know, without a tax base.

Alabama ranks 3rd, and probably has more people who bitch "bout the govment" than anywhere else I've ever lived.

They're very business-friendly and resource poor, which is a bad combination for the environment, middle class and poor citizens. They have the right economic incentives for low-tax, low-regulation to bring in businesses to set up shop in their states, but no natural resources to exploit (with the exception of the NW states starting to frack). And those incentives don't do much for raising funds for state funded services, so they end up suckling the federal teat for basic shit.

Just to clarify.

Props to meandmy for actually admitting to having lived in Alabama. I'd love to see the numbers on how many "I hate that nigger Obama" rednecks actually now have healthy insurance thanks to the ACA compared to the "good ol' days" under the sanctified 'Pubs.

Considering Alabama didn't accept the fed's Medicaid expansion, probably very few.

Considering Alabama didn't accept the fed's Medicaid expansion, probably very few.

Georgia did the same thing but there are thousands who still benefited- a few in my extended family, I'm ashamed to say. Nothing says "fuck you" like cutting your nose to spite your face. Good job, GOP. Fuck your main constituency while convincing them it's a noble calling.

Georgia did the same thing but there are thousands who still benefited- a few in my extended family, I'm ashamed to say. Nothing says "fuck you" like cutting your nose to spite your face. Good job, GOP. Fuck your main constituency while convincing them it's a noble calling.

Doesn't matter. Football programs are fully funded.

Back