• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

100 greatest video games of all time

First mistake is SFIICE being so low. The top 5 could be all Zelda and Mario games.

Star Fox at #62? Interesting.

I've played 17 of the games from #100-61, and own three more of them that I haven't played yet. Hard to argue about the list until we see what else is on it, but I was glad to see that Phantasy Star IV made it, even if I think it should probably be higher. Also, Vagrant Story was creative, but man did I hate playing it. I'm wondering how many older games will make it near the top out of pure nostalgia.

I've played 17 of the games from #100-61, and own three more of them that I haven't played yet. Hard to argue about the list until we see what else is on it, but I was glad to see that Phantasy Star IV made it, even if I think it should probably be higher. Also, Vagrant Story was creative, but man did I hate playing it. I'm wondering how many older games will make it near the top out of pure nostalgia.

Like defender and asteroids?

man all I got on those was Fallout 3 and COD: Modern Warfare.

I still haven't played GTA 4 or 5, but will.

Like defender and asteroids?

Pretty much, though I was also thinking the original Super Mario as well. There should certainly be a handful of NES games on there, but most tend to get overrated in the grand scheme of things. Doubt there will be more than one or two arcade games on there.

With the list coming from Slant, I have no doubt there will be some off the wall choices in the top 10. Those guys don't tend to do nostalgia, they view things with a very sharp critical eye. This list should be fascinating, as I could see their top 20 being any number of things.

I think you have to judge video games in context based on what the developers did with the technology available at the time, not replayability in 2014.

I think you have to judge video games in context based on what the developers did with the technology available at the time, not replayability in 2014.

They say as much, very eloquently stated I think, in the two introductory paragraphs.

I wasn't responding to the article. I was responding to the discussion here. "Nostalgia" is just another way to say "Those games were freaking good 20-30 years ago."

anybody ever play Tunnel Runner for Atari? That was my favorite game for a long time.

before bungie became famous they used to make excellent macintosh computer games. growing up with an Apple meant there weren't a lot of games, but bungie's RTT game Myth: The Fallen Lords is easily the best PC game i've ever played.

i think this list is just for console game though.

Bonk's Adventure was my jam back in the day. Did anyone else have a Turbo Grafx 16?

hm, maybe. There is something to be said about a game that holds up over time.

If "PaRappa the Rapper" isn't on the list, it loses all respectability.

before bungie became famous they used to make excellent macintosh computer games. growing up with an Apple meant there weren't a lot of games, but bungie's RTT game Myth: The Fallen Lords is easily the best PC game i've ever played.

i think this list is just for console game though.

I played the shit out of Pathways Into Darkness and Marathon.

Back