• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

100% [Redacted]'s fault in end game AGAIN!!!

We lost because we suck. But there were some shaky calls that didn't help.

Huge mistake leaving two slow white unathletic players to inbound to with CJ throwing it in. Not surprised at all that Chase or Tyler couldn't create space. [Redacted] is terrible. I hate him so much now that I don't see a scenario where I can really like Wake basketball again until he is gone.

I don't get this argument. We had our best free throw shooters in, we should've just had more options than the two guys in the back-court.

I don't get this argument. We had our best free throw shooters in, we should've just had more options than the two guys in the back-court.

I think the problem was that the pick away clogged in four people too close. Should have cleared out and inbounded to CJ with a v cut, or had a man at the ball and one about 15 feet up towards the scorers table. Man at ball picks up and after setting the pick returns to the ball. I've found in coaching that the pick across is easy to switch and defend by denying, whereas the pick up is harder to defend.

I think the problem was that the pick away clogged in four people too close. Should have cleared out and inbounded to CJ with a v cut, or had a man at the ball and one about 15 feet up towards the scorers table. Man at ball picks up and after setting the pick returns to the ball. I've found in coaching that the pick across is easy to switch and defend by denying, whereas the pick up is harder to defend.

I agree with this, but it's not the same thing as saying we had the wrong personnel in the game.

Also why was CJ throwing the ball in knowing the first person to touch it would be fouled?

This is what I couldn't figure out.

Besides that Bzzz is such a fucking stiff that he can't inspire his kids to do anything. That's why he doesn't win road games. Well that and his end of game coaching. Both register as F minuses.

Bad coaching, bad officiating, multiple bad plays by CJ and Travis in the last 2 minutes. Add it up and you have another unbelievable collapse to add to the dumpster fire that is Wake on the road.

Brutal.

In the last two minutes, with a 7 point lead, we were outscored 10-0 We ran a totally ineffective offensive set, running the clock down to 4 seconds, then took a time out to run a 4 second play that failed. On our next posession, we took a highly contested shot with 15 seconds still on the shot clock that failed. We goal-tended. We had our best free throw shooter inbounding a play we did not get inbounded before a 5 second violation, we got a traveling violation. If you think a good coach would have figured out how to give up the final ten ponts of the game with less than 2 minutes left, you are mistaken.

I carpool with a UNC fan who said this moring, "You know, your coach is just TERRIBLE! He's boring and an awful coach. How in the world did he let his team lose last night?"

There you have it Ron. Great job! Keep it up! Oh Heavens yes!

I thought it was a poorly conceived inbounds play and the 4 players CJ had to throw to absolutely half-assed it. THAT was inexcusable. Watch Chase on the replay. He is barely jogging. No effort at all. Up one with 28 seconds left and a throw in, you run and cut hard like your life depends on it. We got what we deserved.

As far as the "collapse," other than the throw in, I thought it was mostly bad luck. BC went cold from 5 minutes to 2 minutes left, and we got the lead. Then we went cold and then botched the throw in, and got screwed b/c the clock operator didn't press the button. I think RJ is wrong, and the right call was made about stopping play, running the clock down and giving us the ball on the side. You can't unwind and undo what actually happened before the referees discovered it, so when they did discover it, they have to stop play, run the clock and have us inbound. What a huge advantage for the defense for a clock operator to screw up, and effectively make us get the ball in twice and across the time line in 10 seconds.

Chase ought to be forced to watch the inbounds play 100 times and be invited for long session of post practice suicide sprints to make sure he gets lots of practice sprinting, and stopping and starting, to make sure he gets it right. I could not believe it. That is like a WR quitting on the route on 4th down late in the game when you have to have a first down. I just can't believe it. But it won't happen. Buzz will ask him nicely to please try harder next time.

In the last two minutes, with a 7 point lead, we were outscored 10-0 We ran a totally ineffective offensive set, running the clock down to 4 seconds, then took a time out to run a 4 second play that failed. On our next posession, we took a highly contested shot with 15 seconds still on the shot clock that failed. We goal-tended. We had our best free throw shooter inbounding a play we did not get inbounded before a 5 second violation, we got a traveling violation. If you think a good coach would have figured out how to give up the final ten ponts of the game with less than 2 minutes left, you are mistaken.

Though not discussed as much, this one really made me scratch my head. Who calls a timeout with that little time left on the shot clock? A coach who's sitting over there on the sidelines second guessing himself...and that's a problem. How can our players...how can CJ and Travis...be confident in what their doing if their coach isn't confident in what he's telling them to do?

Answer: They can't.

Irrespective of any explicit errors by Buzz, teams led by bad coaches find many ways to lose games. It just seeps into the entire program. I saw it with Staak, I can see it again with Buzz. Buzz will never be a winner because he's a bad, losing coach.

Thought it was a terrible idea to call TO with 7.5 seconds left and set up a full court play. Like his bad substitution patterns, Bz called a TO that would be good in the NBA, because you get the ball at midcourt. Instead, in this situation, we still had to go the length of the court and allow BC to set up a defense. Would have rather immediately inbounded the ball and gotten the ball into the frontcourt, THEN called TO. Allows us still 5 or so seconds to run something off a sideline inbounds where BC's defense isnt totally set.

Irrespective of any explicit errors by Buzz, teams led by bad coaches find many ways to lose games. It just seeps into the entire program. I saw it with Staak, I can see it again with Buzz. Buzz will never be a winner because he's a bad, losing coach.

This.

Saddest part is he'll be around next season.....

Here is the thing, no way the ref calls 5 seconds on a K, Roy, Skip, insert respectable coach name. Buzz should go to the ref after the malfunction and say "We had the press broken, you fucked us here, if we are close to not getting the ball in, we want the TO." End of story. No way the ref makes that call on a respected coach. Therefore, I put it on Buzz.

Last edited:

This is it! We will never win with Buzz. He's like Pigpen, there's just a dirty, losing cloud that surrounds him. It is not going away. If Buzz is not fired this year, I hate to think just how long it will be before Wake basketball become relevant again. This could really be a 7 - 10 year disaster. Maybe our "culture" is better, but whoever takes over after Buzz will have the more difficult task of establishing a winning culture - after all this losing, that will not be easy.

Bzz can't call the timeout himself? He leaves cj alone, again, to take the blame. #culture

Back