• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

100th Tour de France

yeah- not sure what cavendish's deal was on this stage; he was dropped during the prime, but then stayed back.

TTT tomorrow; Vaughters (team garmin) bragging about their super slick cervelo's and how they probably have a leg up on everyone else with aerodynamics.

looking forward to watching the TTT tonight.

yesterday's stage was good; since i've learned about cycling it's so much more fun to watch the tour. I remember when I was younger thinking it was all an individual thing, but yesterday - especially in the last 10km or so - you could really see some of the team dynamics play out for sagan to take the stage win.
Also loved seeing the 4 man breakaway off the front (even though they got caught), very well organized and very 'fair' (in that they were maneuvering to all take time up front).

omega pharma is an awesome team; Cav crashes, gets up, drafts the team cars for a bit, then his teammate drops back and pulls him right back to the peloton.

omega pharma is an awesome team; Cav crashes, gets up, drafts the team cars for a bit, then his teammate drops back and pulls him right back to the peloton.

that was an amazing bit of riding on cav's part to join back up, as well.
the peloton was moving pretty quick that day; what'd they say? the average wattage output was 450? Lately I TT at ~200 and want to die. The thought of 450 is effing ridiculous.
The end of stage 6 was a good sprint, too.

Side note- terrible end to the Tour for Ted King; I felt terrible for him, and his interview was heart-wrenching.

what'd they say? the average wattage output was 450? Lately I TT at ~200 and want to die. The thought of 450 is effing ridiculous

That's about 0.6 horsepower. Which doesn't sound like a lot, until you remember that 1 horsepower is approximately the power of a healthy draft horse.

Draft horses go about 2,000 lbs. A Tour de France rider averages around 140lbs. AND IS PUTTING OUT 60-70% OF THE POWER OF A FUCKING ONE TON HORSE.

I don't think the average person has any clue just how ridiculous even the average Grand Tour domestique is. The power to weight ratio is off the fucking charts for them.

That's about 0.6 horsepower. Which doesn't sound like a lot, until you remember that 1 horsepower is approximately the power of a healthy draft horse.

Draft horses go about 2,000 lbs. A Tour de France rider averages around 140lbs. AND IS PUTTING OUT 60-70% OF THE POWER OF A FUCKING ONE TON HORSE.

I don't think the average person has any clue just how ridiculous even the average Grand Tour domestique is. The power to weight ratio is off the fucking charts for them.

yep. i have a whole new appreciation for it since i've been training with power and have a better frame of reference... it's absolutely ridiculous.
what's that saying? cocaine* is a hell of a drug?

*EPO

side note: please check out this documentary my friend has put together; it would be awesome to see it produced! investors are going to put up the rest of the money if it hits $40K by the end of the day, it's at $37.25 now...

http://halftheroad.com/

cannondale rode really strong today; basically dominated the stage.

the cajones with which these guys descend is incredible.

the climbing is super impressive, too. blechh, last climb of the day is 9.9km with an average grade of 7.7%. That is NOT flat. or short. sucks so much on these stages for anyone who drops off the back; nothing worse than climbing like mad and just seeing everyone else climb away faster than what you've got left in the tank.

the cajones with which these guys descend is incredible.

the climbing is super impressive, too. blechh, last climb of the day is 9.9km with an average grade of 7.7%. That is NOT flat. or short. sucks so much on these stages for anyone who drops off the back; nothing worse than climbing like mad and just seeing everyone else climb away faster than what you've got left in the tank.

Which PEDs do they use to take the edge off of a rapid descent?

I didn't watch today but caught stage 8 yesterday. What was the deal with all the Euros going nuts as the cyclists passed through the mountains? Tailgating? Cycling fans?

I didn't watch today but caught stage 8 yesterday. What was the deal with all the Euros going nuts as the cyclists passed through the mountains? Tailgating? Cycling fans?

European cycling fans are in many ways the same people as US NASCAR fans. You come out and sit outside, you bring a crapton of booze/food and you party for hours before / after the race goes through.

It's not "white trash", but cycling crowds aren't exactly high culture either. It's a working class sport.

I was watching today and thinking about just how miserable that race looked. No question that I would want to be doping if I had to do that shit.

I will note that doping doesn't make the actual riding hurt any less...

Back