• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

10th Assistant

scotttyson62

Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea if we are getting a 10th Assistant for football. If so who could be some possibilities? I would like to see Jamie Deese get a chance or maybe Aaron Curry

Does anyone have an idea if we are getting a 10th Assistant for football. If so who could be some possibilities? I would like to see Jamie Deese get a chance or maybe Aaron Curry

I'm not sure how good a coach Aaron Curry is but I have to imagine he'd be an insane recruiter for the Deacs. He basically already is on social media, so would guess he would be even more on the recruiting trail (plus, you can tell he loves the Deacs).

However, Clawson doesn't seem to give a shit about whether the person he hires has anything to do with Wake Forest prior to the hiring. He will hire the best person for the job. There was a good post here a day or two ago about the graduate assistants currently with Wake that could be looking at a promotion with the same track record as Clawson (believe it was Ph who posted).

I think Clawson could add a well respected solid coach given the team's success and what Elko is doing. I think Ph touched on this, about not making it a legacy position. Whoever Clawson hires, will probably be the right guy for the job. and It probably won't be anyone we would have thought of.

While it's awesome to hire an alumnus, Clawson will always hire the assistant coach that maximizes the likelihood that WF Football will be improved by the hire, regardless if that coach played at Wake Forest, Williams (Clawson's alma mater), UNC or Eastern Mennonite College.

While it's awesome to hire an alumnus, Clawson will always hire the assistant coach that maximizes the likelihood that WF Football will be improved by the hire, regardless if that coach played at Wake Forest, Williams (Clawson's alma mater), UNC or Eastern Mennonite College.

Nope, I draw the line at the Mennonites.

I'm not sure how good a coach Aaron Curry is but I have to imagine he'd be an insane recruiter for the Deacs. He basically already is on social media, so would guess he would be even more on the recruiting trail (plus, you can tell he loves the Deacs).

However, Clawson doesn't seem to give a shit about whether the person he hires has anything to do with Wake Forest prior to the hiring. He will hire the best person for the job. There was a good post here a day or two ago about the graduate assistants currently with Wake that could be looking at a promotion with the same track record as Clawson (believe it was Ph who posted).

From the next season thread.

Good question. I looked over the coaches roster. Three things I didn't realize. First, we have four graduate assistants. I thought we were only allowed to have two, but I guess that rule changed. Second, none of them have Wake ties, so they aren't just former players looking for a start. Third, all were assistant coaches or coordinators at lower division programs before coming to Wake.

I really like that. That's a great way to use the positions as a pipeline for young talent rather than just a legacy spot for former players.

Seth Payne:
All-Conference DL at Moravian College
LB/DL coach at Moravian College
Def assistant at Villanova

Greg Jones:
All-Patriot League LB at Bucknell
LB coach at Wilkes University
Special teams coach at Rhode Island
DB coach at Cornell

Stephen Bravo-Brown:
Former walk-on WR at USF; grad transfer to Eastern Illinois
WR coach at Waldorf University

Kevin Reiner:
OL at Stanford and Penn State
Off quality control coach at Fordham

Seems like they could be candidates for that 10th spot. But given how Clawson handled last year's search, I think he'll scour the G5 landscape for assistants. I love having a head coach that looks to hire the best talent, not just people with the right connections.

I think Clawson could add a well respected solid coach given the team's success and what Elko is doing. I think Ph touched on this, about not making it a legacy position. Whoever Clawson hires, will probably be the right guy for the job. and It probably won't be anyone we would have thought of.

Would be worried Curry would give our plays to UNC.

Yes, still salty. Too soon?

This rule is definitely going to cause some shake-ups in the college football landscape. OSU just hired up-and-coming DC Alex Grinch from Washington State to act as co-defensive coordinator, and probably take over once Schiano gets a non-redneck Rocky Top HC job.

Again, I'd like to see us throw some coin at the A&M special teams guy if he's not retained.

Nothing against Deese or Curry, but I think this move should have us thinking about upgrading the higher ranks of our assistants rather than adding another entry-level position.

Yeah I think. It would be a good hire to get Deese. His offense looked good in the D-2 National Championship. Not to mention it was the schools second year playing football.

Yeah I think. It would be a good hire to get Deese. His offense looked good in the D-2 National Championship. Not to mention it was the schools second year playing football.

Wow. Didn’t realize they made the championship.

Jammie Deese has been a D-II OC for 5 years. He recruits north FL. He wouldn't be a crazy hire.
http://goargos.com/coaches.aspx?rc=30

Jamie Dees has the kind of resume that Clawson should be looking for. A guy who has success at lower level of FB and whose stuff looks like it would translate well to the FBS level.

The fact that he is a Wake guy is an added bonus. Clawson should be looking at resumes without regard to school until he gets to his top two or three candidates.

It’s a great bonus that he knows a lot of the NC coaches when he was at UNCP and he is from Scotland county. It would be nice to start getting some kids from down east.

Back