• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

15 insanely great Springsteen songs you've likely never heard

I've definitely heard many of those. There was a record shop near the Main Point and the train station in Bryn Mawr that specialized in bootlegs. They had tons Dead discs, but they had whole bins of Springsteen bootlegs. He went there from time to time to find recordings he liked.

I've seen him perform Lonely Night, Street Queen and Tokyo on nights he'd just show up somewhere. In the early-pre Born To Run 70s, he'd sometimes just drop in at Ripley's or Grendel's Lair or Dobbs on South Street.

Maybe the best drop in was at The Main Point. Jackson Browne and David Lindley were playing. All of a sudden this guy up from downstairs. He was wearing a black leather jacket. When he got to the stage he picked up a guitar. He turned around and it was Springsteen.

Here's a little about Philly music in the early 80s. http://relivethe80s.com/articles/popindex.htm

Last edited:
Cool list, I had heard some of those songs but not all of them. Granted it has been over a 40+ year period, but it is amazing how many songs he has written and recorded. I'm hoping they get back to NC for one last tour stop before he runs out of gas. Though I said that several tours ago as well and they are still going, so who knows.

i wouldn't go so far as to say "insanely great," but i will say that i always thought i hated springsteen until i really dug into his catalog and found that i greatly prefer a lot of his lesser known songs to the ones that get a ton of fanfare.

i wouldn't go so far as to say "insanely great," but i will say that i always thought i hated springsteen until i really dug into his catalog and found that i greatly prefer a lot of his lesser known songs to the ones that get a ton of fanfare.

I think most of his fans share that same general sentiment. Sure it is fun to go to a show and sing along with Glory Days or Dancing In The Dark, but most fans recognize that songs like Racing In The Street and Highway Patrolman and Ramrod are much better songs. And it is those two sides of music that has attracted so many fans.

It's why I always like Greetings and Shuffle as his best albums.

Cant believe Rolling Stone, esp when it comes to Spingsteen. Best live act out there? GTFFO with that shit.

Also, this is based on the premise that the Springsteen songs that you have heard are good.

RIP Crarence Cremmons.

Back