• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

18 million guaranteed...

Here's a list of bball coaches salaries from earlier this year. That contract would put him 14th on the list, the same as Tony Bennett. There are some huge buyouts on the list.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Makes sense, because we all know Manning is about as good as Tony Bennett. If only Collins and Dinos had stayed last year...

Seriously, that list makes me hopeful that the source has to be in error. There would have been no reason to pay Manning that much.

Good to let coaching prospects know we will pay big money. Smart to leak those details. No one will know for sure.

Stadium is an absolute hack job media outlet (they hired Brett McMurphy), but Goodman is normally pretty solid, so I don't know what to think.

If $18mm guaranteed buyout is true that would make DM top 5 of all coaches in the country!

There is NNNOOOOO way Ronnie boy is that dumb and would overpay vs. market to completely destroy his credibility especially after already suffering greatly with Bzz boy. Would go down as worse AD ever.

Hoping it was a tongue in cheek comment Ronnie made to a booster or other person that was haggling him to change BB coaches and how he can't really since Danny is "locked up for 6 years" knowing full well the contract wasn't really fully guaranteed but he could quickly end the conversation. I have to give Ronnie some level of credence that some amount of brain matter is in there.

Buyout terms that are less than the full value of the contract if that contract is performed to the end and that reduce over time are standard for long term NCAA football and basketball coach's contracts. Typically, a coach's agent doesn't fight including those terms because they run both ways and they allow the coach to leave before the end of the contract for the payment of a reduced stipulated sum (which the next school seeking the coach often pays).

WF has legal counsel review contracts before offering them. I do not believe WF and their counsel would fail to include the boilerplate buyout terms that de-escalate over time. Would make no sense. Even if WF was somehow convinced that Danny Manning was the next Brad Stevens in 2017, you need to include a buy-out clause just in case you are wrong or to cover any issue which could arise and which the school might find embarrassing or otherwise unacceptable (e.g., losing to HBU or being unable to teach how to close-out on opposing 3 point shooters), but which may not constitute termination for cause. Agreeing to a six year contract with no room for an voluntary exit verges on malpractice. Would guess that even K, Tom Izzo and Bill Self have buy-out terms in their contracts.

Also, it's not like Kansas reps and NBA teams were circling WF's campus in the Summer/early fall 2017.

Doubting the report is accurate.

Last edited:
Paul Hewitt has to be on the list with his evergreen contract extension.

And like WF, GT basketball is dead after a long proud history of competing with honor in the ACC.

At least Hewitt made a final 4, and a national title game if I remember correctly. Ours was an extension for getting smacked in a play in game, when we had one of the best players in the tournament on our team.

– Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman signed Danny Manning to a six-year extension that runs through 2024-25 nearly a year ago to the day. A source told me that the deal is fully guaranteed, meaning that Wake is on the hook for somewhere in the neighborhood of $18 million if it makes a move to let go of Manning. The first couple of years, and a 24-39 mark, were on the previous regime. But after a 19-14 record and an NCAA tourney bid in 2016-17, Wake went 11-20 last season and has started out 4-2 this year with a loss this past weekend to Houston Baptist.

https://watchstadium.com/news/bol-b...e-from-this-week-in-college-hoops-11-28-2018/

So we signed Manning to a 6 year, $18 million deal after making the freaking First Four.

Remember all that occurred in the fall. We had re-done the contract for Clawson I believe in the spring and waited thru the summer to get thru bball recruiting & camps, etc to get it all ironed out. IIRC we actually got things signed & in place right after the bad start to the season so the timing was horrible!

So what's Wellman's buyout? Because that sure seems like a reason to fire him.

This kind of makes Manning's demeanor seem plausible. Laughing in a press conference after a historic loss.

If true, this program is done. Manning is truly a worse coach than BZ and he clearly does not give a shit.

Anyone that sets foot inside the Joel before Manning is gone is essentially a traitor to the school. We need a 100% boycott.

So what's Wellman's buyout? Because that sure seems like a reason to fire him.

The idea that we have an AD with a guaranteed contract (as rumored) with a buyout through 2020 is an issue in and of itself.

Barring the miracle of all miracles, DM should be fired at the end of this season, and any buyout owed should come right out of Wellman's pocket.

Stadium is an absolute hack job media outlet (they hired Brett McMurphy), but Goodman is normally pretty solid, so I don't know what to think.

O$U butthurt aside, I don't really see how the outlet would affect Goodman's reporting here. It's not like telling Goodman to make up shit about Wake and Danny Manning at the bottom of a long-ass article is gonna drive a ton of clicks

The idea that we have an AD with a guaranteed contract (as rumored) with a buyout through 2020 is an issue in and of itself.

Hatch is the highest paid university president in America and Wellman is the 10th highest paid AD in America. Last I checked Wake Forest was not top 10 almost everything, but how people approved those salaries in beyond me.

Hatch is the highest paid university president in America and Wellman is the 10th highest paid AD in America. Last I checked Wake Forest was not top 10 almost everything, but how people approved those salaries in beyond me.

I don't think Hatch is the highest paid president in the country. IIRC, the report you are relying on included things like vesting retention bonuses and Hatch just happened to have received a bunch of money from something like that in the year that was covered in the report.

O$U butthurt aside, I don't really see how the outlet would affect Goodman's reporting here. It's not like telling Goodman to make up shit about Wake and Danny Manning at the bottom of a long-ass article is gonna drive a ton of clicks

Yeah probably not. No one cares, outside of Wake fans. But you'd think a legitimate outlet would require additional verification of the "source" mentioned, before reporting it, especially for figures that seem this outlandish. Maybe not in the blog era.

Back