• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

198X Deacs...an important part of our childhood is dead

I didn't realize they were still around. There's no telling how many CD's I got from CH over the years.

Built up my CD collection that way. I would open a new account by referring myself so I would get the free CDs from referring plus the additional ones.

For a while they would let you order the box sets in the deal which was great.

I joined in the late '50s when it was Columbia Record Club. That's when I got my first copies of original cast Broadway scores.

I didn't realize they were still around. There's no telling how many CD's I got from CH over the years.

Or how many you got because you did not send in the form saying you didn't want the monthly CD/Album that would auto ship to you.

I would take any CD's that sucked and trade or sell them at the Record Exchange, so Columbia House was always a win/win.

Or how many you got because you did not send in the form saying you didn't want the monthly CD/Album that would auto ship to you.

Oh, no. I was always on top of that shit. I didn't want friggin' Milli Vanilli or the B52s showing up in my mailbox.

Got The Black Crows when my dad forgot to decline the monthly!

RIP Columbia House, certainly a big contributor to my album collection (you kids with your CDs). There was some marking on their records that let the local record stores know the origin and I did run into one or two shops that wouldn't give me an exchange.

I forgot precisely what I did, but I had some trick to get them to kick me out after I got my 11 records for a penny. I know when I was younger than 18 I'd just write them and say "sucks for you but I'm under 18" and their response was something like "we assume anyone who signs up is at least 18 years old" and that was that. I think after 18 I'd just keep returning the record of the month and that would piss them off enough to be done with me. Now they're out of business and I feel guilty for that, they could have lasted another, oh, couple of hours on the revenue they lost from me.

Back