• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

1st and Goal from the 1 with a 6-3, 230 lb QB

BillBrasky

#PSF
Reaction score
Hinton bailed Clawson out big time.

My section was ready to murder him. So dumb.

Guys, it was Clawson's plan all along to sandbag the first 3 downs to Carney in order to run the clock down and to get USU to burn all of their TO'S.

Newman felt no pressure at all on the 4th down pass into the end zone double coverage to Hinton for the gamewinner. :eek:

Eh, half of Cade’s touchdowns are from a yard out. The 3rd down play was a td if he just follows the blocking instead of cutting back into unblocked defenders. Maybe a miscommunication on the play but if he follows the line diving right he’s in easy. Sure, it’d be nice to have a roll out to the TE on 2nd down (and on that early 4th down dive failure) but a few bad RPO reads and that series made the playcalling look worse than it actually was.

It’s interesting that the delayed rpo stuff still gets so much negative press. Seems like it doesn’t get credit when it’s effective but when a few plays get stuffed it’s garbage and we should be throwing on every down.

If we can’t get in from a yard out with a back like Cade on 3 downs, we got bigger problems then the play calls. Yeah I’d like to have seen Newman keep it on one of those downs, but still, the Beef Boys need to become men up there and impose their will.

Eh, half of Cade’s touchdowns are from a yard out. The 3rd down play was a td if he just follows the blocking instead of cutting back into unblocked defenders. Maybe a miscommunication on the play but if he follows the line diving right he’s in easy. Sure, it’d be nice to have a roll out to the TE on 2nd down (and on that early 4th down dive failure) but a few bad RPO reads and that series made the playcalling look worse than it actually was.

It’s interesting that the delayed rpo stuff still gets so much negative press. Seems like it doesn’t get credit when it’s effective but when a few plays get stuffed it’s garbage and we should be throwing on every down.

Normally I would probably agree with above but the difference here is we must have run the delayed shotgun draw close to 20 times and was largely ineffective for the game and especially late and most definitely on short yardage situations including getting stuffed at goal line earlier in game giving it up on downs. Their strength on D was clearly up the middle and to just run it up the gut 3 times was horrible playcalling when you have an athletic Qb and the weapons we have @ wr who were toasting their DBs. I get the 1st one to see if you can get it and run out clock but really poor the rest of the way.

Don't mind our playcalling but the RPO seems to have a high failure rate on short yardage situations. Too slow developing which allows the opportunity for defense penetration to blow the play up.

The problem I have with is in those short yardage situations, especially at the goal line where everything is so compressed, it’s still much slower developing then a more traditional quick hitting running play. We always hear, we don’t do that stuff because we don’t play under the center, but I mean how hard is it to have some old school I formation plays or even a single back set with the QB under center giving it to the back on the quick hitter with the back having the benefit of forward momentum?

One problem with the read option is Carney and Newman are both between the tackle runners.

It’s just a matter of who is blocking for who. No need to contain so the DL can just stuff it.

We were 2-5 on 4th down and I think both were passes.

The problem I have with is in those short yardage situations, especially at the goal line where everything is so compressed, it’s still much slower developing then a more traditional quick hitting running play. We always hear, we don’t do that stuff because we don’t play under the center, but I mean how hard is it to have some old school I formation plays or even a single back set with the QB under center giving it to the back on the quick hitter with the back having the benefit of forward momentum?

Pretty hard when you never incorporate it otherwise.

The one time Jamie went under center and did a quick snap he picked up 3 yds and a 1st down. Look at the films DC and make adjustments-- forget the ego thing and do what works. Obviously work needs to be done with OL, but act like we have a great OL when the other side has shown they can dominate. I would guess that Cade was stuffed more than those 3 times. Learn and adapt--come on Dave just too stubborn

Normally I would probably agree with above but the difference here is we must have run the delayed shotgun draw close to 20 times and was largely ineffective for the game and especially late and most definitely on short yardage situations including getting stuffed at goal line earlier in game giving it up on downs. Their strength on D was clearly up the middle and to just run it up the gut 3 times was horrible playcalling when you have an athletic Qb and the weapons we have @ wr who were toasting their DBs. I get the 1st one to see if you can get it and run out clock but really poor the rest of the way.

Completely agree, but it’s also game 1 so some conservative playcalling is to be expected.

Mainly I just don’t think it was “horrible” and I think the “we won in spite of Clawson” stuff to be a little over the top given his track record. And from a strict playcalling perspective, the 3rd down run should have scored. So there’s frustration around both playcalls and execution, but the only focus here seems to be on play calls. And who knows what the have in the bag for Newman at this point. We’d have run a pitch to Colburn with Winford throwing a lead block a couple years ago. Maybe he’s just not quite there yet. Bottom line is the RPO was effective for much of the game, and it results in a ton of single coverage which makes Newman absolutely lethal because defenses can’t cheat. The only time Newman had to throw against double coverage last night was when we had two receivers holding hands.

My guess is we’ll be in a critical short yardage situation a few weeks from and put Newman under center. And we probably should have had more stuff ready. But we won so fuck it. At least Clawson is the kind of coach who knows the win doesn’t excuse the issues we saw on both the coaching and execution sides.

Shouldn’t be that hard, it’s basic football.

Basic football still requires a shit ton of practice. Look at how we messed up the qb sneak.

Taking something you don’t do (run the I from under center) with someone you don’t use (a fb) and using it in a high leverage situation is not smart.

The one time Jamie went under center and did a quick snap he picked up 3 yds and a 1st down. Look at the films DC and make adjustments-- forget the ego thing and do what works. Obviously work needs to be done with OL, but act like we have a great OL when the other side has shown they can dominate. I would guess that Cade was stuffed more than those 3 times. Learn and adapt--come on Dave just too stubborn

you mean except for that time when it was 4th and 1 and we got 0?

I'm fine with the way we line up, we just need options that are outside the tackles, etc. built in. Take a WR in motion across the formation to shift the D. Incorporate the trap play out of the same formation that we've used well in the past.

I would have likes to see variance on the 3rd down play after being stuffed twice, or if you want to grind it in, not do a direct RPO but quick fake and follow Carney as the lead blocker with Newman.

We are missing Ryan Anderson a ton. I think Tom will settle in, but last night was a rough start for him.

We had atrocious short yardage play calling throughout the game. Whomever was doing that deserves and F for the game. One play (that shouldn't have been necessary) doesn't make up for failing the rest of the game.

Do you honestly think the problem is Clawson's ego or stubbornness? I've never gotten that sense from him. He seems very deliberate and thoughtful, and has changed several times based on results (firing the DC, new training camp structure, etc.). He mentioned both the short yardage and big plays on defense. Im confident he'll address it with the team

This

Clawson fired a damn coordinator mid season. You fuckers think he ain't gonna fix short yardage situations? Fucking ridiculous.

Basic football still requires a shit ton of practice. Look at how we messed up the qb sneak.

Taking something you don’t do (run the I from under center) with someone you don’t use (a fb) and using it in a high leverage situation is not smart.

Agree to disagree then. Sure it takes practice, but it should be part of your short yardage package.

Guys, it was Clawson's plan all along to sandbag the first 3 downs to Carney in order to run the clock down and to get USU to burn all of their TO'S.

Newman felt no pressure at all on the 4th down pass into the end zone double coverage to Hinton for the gamewinner. :eek:

I've seen several people mention that the the final play was thrown into double coverage. It wasn't.

There were two players in the vicinity because one was chasing Fruedenthal into the area - this defender had no awareness of Hinton. The man covering Hinton made a nice recovery after being juked out of his socks by Hinton. Washington was wide open because the Corner and the LB(nickel?) covering Fruedenthal collided with the CB going to the ground.

Back