• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

$20 million dollar iPhone app for SF

If it works here, it can be used in many other cities making them more productive. The government benefits by that.

BTW, there are plenty of government workers in SF. This will save the government money there.

I think that's a stretch...I'm sure it'll be beneficial, but I think SF should have paid for it. I don't see why my federal tax dollars should be used for a project that only benefits SF.

That's a really bad reason for opposing it. Why should my tax dollars pay for something in PA or NC or anywhere else then?

I think that's a stretch...I'm sure it'll be beneficial, but I think SF should have paid for it. I don't see why my federal tax dollars should be used for a project that only benefits SF.

That's a pretty short term perspective. Seems like a lot to me, too, but it could be the beginning of some meaningful investment that will benefit private industry and Americans all over the country. Something like this couldn't just roll out everywhere and SF probably doesn't have the cash flow to do it themselves.

The government is funding technological innovation that may be able to benefit many Americans down the road. I have absolutely no problem with this. The innovation has to start somewhere. They can't roll out new stuff to the whole nation at once.

BTW, Deadbolt, if it works in SF why wouldn't it work in other metro areas?

BTW, Deadbolt, if it works in SF why wouldn't it work in other metro areas?

Never said it wouldn't work. I just think SF should have footed the bill. I don't think that's unreasonable. If I want to upgrade the network in my house, I don't ask the guy down the street to pay for it.

But, it's just an opinion. Some good counter points made by you and others ITT.

SF could have footed the bill, and if it works they could profit selling it to other municipalities.

SF could not have footed the bill as they are not in great financial shape.

But for very little money it could save the rest of the country moeny if it works.

Back