• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2008/2012 parallels

EqDeac

Reaction score
East Dorset, VT/ West Palm Beach, FL/ Upperville,
Has anyone else noticed the parallels between the 2008 season and what is unfolding now thus far?

In 2008 we played FSU in the 3rd game of the season after they beat up on two inferior opponents by the combined score of 115-7. Wake was coming off a big home game in 2008 (Ole Miss) where we needed a last minute defining type of drive to sneak out the home W. FSU came into the game overhyped and overconfident. (Hope everyone remembers the Christian Ponder talking out of his ass quote).

Deacs go down to Doak to get the W. Here's to repeat results.

you mean the game where his very first throw was picked off? yeah i remember that

One big difference, our 2008 defense > 2012 defense. That said, hopefully we get the W just like we did in 2008.

Well, to be fair our 2012 defense has yet to have all starters available.

(Note: it isn't as good regardless, but something to keep in mind)

The only thing that it has in common is that it is the third game of the season. Also, if I recall correctly, we had a bye between Ole Miss and FSU that year. Come to think of it, I think we had 2 byes that year. It's a completely different team. Level of talent on Defense isn't even close. Most of the guys on that defense would start for most ACC teams. People always just think about Curry, Phonzo, Vaughn, Arnoux, and Ghee but even the guys like Boo, JR, Kevin Patterson and Chantz were good players who would probably start or get significant PT for most ACC teams. That's 9/11 guys right there.

YOU STOLE MY LINE!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I've said this like 5 times on the boards.

But I do suspect we're going to get killed

I'm a fan of this, the only difference is that 2008 was our best team ever by objective statistical measures and right now we're mired in like 75th in Sagarin. Gotta just beat that rap on the field.

I'd say our best team ever was '07. Our O was putrid in '08.

We could play some D though

I think we've still yet to see our defense at their full potential.

Back