• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2012 Coaching Carousel

Weber isn't that bad a coach. I'd say thoroughly mediocre. Which does make him a way better coach than Bzdick. That said, this was a god awful hire from a PR viewpoint. Self is the guy who built Illinois into something big, and Weber let the program slide. And KSU's biggest rival is KU but just can't remotely keep up with them in hoops. So now you hire the guy who failed with his own recruits at the program Self built. It's basically admitting defeat from the start. This move isn't lol Bzdick bad, but it's pretty bad. Hiring any other mediocre coach whose career wouldn't be such an obvious contrast to Self's would have been way preferable.

Teague >>>>> Currie.
Good post. Weber is the opposite of a sexy or attractive hire, but he's accomplished way more than [Redacted] ever has. It really says more about how bad the [Redacted] hire was than how good of a coach Weber is. Oh well.

But back on topic, I'd be pissed at this hire if I were a KSU fan. Talk about a step down in terms of charisma, intensity, and public appeal going from Frank Martin to Smily McGrinface (Weber). I find the hire particularly baffling because Weber's biggest downfall has always been his recruiting ability. He struggled to gain any sort of recruiting traction at Illinois, despite early success with Self's players and the Fighting Illini brand. Attracting top-flight talent to Manhattan, KS is going to be much harder than it was at Illinois, IMHO, particularly with the rise of some other formerly 2nd-tier Big 12 programs like Baylor and Iowa St.

Rick Ray hired by MSU. Clemson loses its best recruiter, and when you are trying to recruit basketball players to Clemson, you can't afford to lose your best recruiter.

kansas state fans, just who the fuck do you think you are? sorry izzo didn't want to go there.

morons

Well we all Ass-U-MEed that former 4 Year Letterman and two time Captain Jeff Boals current O$U assistant would be interested and hired in Athens. Turns out we may be getting Jim Christian who has had three losing seasons at TCU. Had some success at Kent State and his wife is an Ohio Graduate, but the first sound in my head when I read this was a "Buzzzing" noise.

Ouch. My sympathies. However, thanks to Currie and the Ohio AD, good prospects are still available for next year.

Actually Boals may be holding out for the Ohio State job. Thad Matta has some serious back and leg issues that he just revealed. He is in tremendous pain and falls down a lot trying to do basic things such as getting dressed. He wears a leg brace and actually wears black tennis shoes when coaching. Evidently he had avoided wearing shorts at practice and in the public to avoid being seen with the brace, but now is very open about his disability. http://www.kentucky.com/2012/03/27/2129072/ohio-state-admires-way-matta-handles.html

Maybe Wake can be around for when Matta inevitably wants to return to coaching.

TCU coach, Jim Christian (good name for TCU), supposedly leaving for the Ohio job.

Sounds like they have family ties in Ohio, but going from a team joining the Big12 to Ohio? Or maybe he figures Ohio is a launching pad job.

link

Just don't see a Big 6 conf coach making this move voluntarily too often.

You'd think a MAC team could get an up and coming coach from a low major conference.

Word is there was not much of a financial commitment to Basketball at TCU. Groce was making a little over 200,000 and they are talking about paying Christian comparable money to what he was making at TCU.

He does have a solid background as a MAC coach so the question is whether to hire somone with no HC experience or go this route.

Prior to taking over at TCU, Christian was head coach at Kent State University from 2002 to 2008, where he led the Golden Flashes to six consecutive seasons of twenty or more wins, four MAC East division titles, two overall MAC titles, and two conference tournament championships. His teams also had five post-season appearances, three in the NIT and two in the NCAA Tournament. His record at Kent State was 137–59.[1]

Was pretty upset at first, but letting things sort out a bit. I have a small Buzzing sensation, but not as much as this morning. Besides, it is football season as far as I am concerned with the Solich and Grobe boys getting ready to knock some Snot Bubbles this year out of the opposition. Our first game is Penn State!

It isn't like he's done an awful job at TCU either. That's a really shitty program (really shitty), but they went 18-15 and 7-7 in the supposedly really strong MWC (about that...) this year. Don't get me wrong, that isn't the kind of resume that's going to pump people up or get him hired by MOST high-major schools, but I don't think it's a bad hire for a MAC school at all.

It'll be interesting to see what approach they take given all the money SMU is throwing around at the same time (SMU is probably a slightly better job though I'd think) in a similar situation. They need to pay their coach more than $200k if they don't want to be completely embarrassed in the Big East (ETA: Big 12, doh).

Last edited:
More on TCU

Link

Several sources in the basketball program said Christian, who was hired at TCU in March 2008, felt the administration failed to show a financial commitment to basketball, including upgrading the 51-year old Daniel-Meyer Coliseum, and adding amenities common on other Big 12 campuses.

Christian said last week that he expected TCU basketball to look completely different in less than five years after Del Conte helps raise donations for renovations. Christian's TCU salary was about $590,000, which would have been the lowest in the Big 12.

So he thinks TCU is going to UG the program, but jumped ship from the B12. Logically, you would think that TCU will be stepping up for all their sports now that they are in one of the BCS conferences.

Back