• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2012 Conference Championship Games Attendance; ACC Looking Up

DinDC

Reaction score
Stadium capacities and %-filled in parentheses. After three years, it looks like the ACC made the right move in shifting the championship game to Charlotte -- the closer school was a 240-mile drive and the game still drew 88% capacity.

SEC: 75,624 (71,250; 106%)
ACC: 64,778 (73,298; 88%)
B1G: 41,260 (70,000; 59%)
PAC-12: 31,622 (50,000; 63%)*
MAC: 18,132 (65,000; 28%)
Conference USA: 17,635 (30,000; 59%)*

* Played in the home stadium of one of the participating schools

was that pac ten game played on stanfords home field?

I'm not a huge fan of it being in NC since I live in FL. However, had the team that was supposed to be in that game (UNC) been in that game, it would have been a sellout. Just bad luck for the ACC this year. Granted Charlotte has lucked out with the matchups they got (FSU/VT, CL, VT and FSU/UNC*). Compare that to what JAX and Tampa had.

Wish I could have made the trip up last night but I had National Guard drill this weekend.

I'm not a huge fan of it being in NC since I live in FL. However, had the team that was supposed to be in that game (UNC) been in that game, it would have been a sellout. Just bad luck for the ACC this year. Granted Charlotte has lucked out with the matchups they got (FSU/VT, CL, VT and FSU/UNC*). Compare that to what JAX and Tampa had.

Wish I could have made the trip up last night but I had National Guard drill this weekend.

How many games did you attend in Tampa or Jax that FSU didn't play in?

Without their rampant cheating the chances that UNC would have made it to this year's game go down dramatically.

Last edited:
How many games did you attend in Tampa or Jax that FSU didn't play in?

Without their rampant cheating the chances that UNC would have made it to this year's game go down dramatically.

0! I wasn't making an argument for FL over NC. Just saying that Charlotte had much better matchups which has been the case. Plus, the ACC is headquartered in NC so it makes sense.

0! I wasn't making an argument for FL over NC. Just saying that Charlotte had much better matchups which has been the case. Plus, the ACC is headquartered in NC so it makes sense.

Headquarters could be in Miami and nc will still be the biggest acc stronghold. Fla is sec country. As it should be.

OK. There was really very little upside to having the games in FL, unless FSU was playing. UM fans generally don't travel to Miami Gardens for their own home games, and it's 270 miles from Miami to Tampa and 330 miles to Jax. (More than Atlanta or Blacksburg to Charlotte.) It doesn't matter anyway since they never made it into the ACC champ game. I don't think where the ACC is headquartered makes a difference -- Charlotte's advantage is that it's more centrally located to a larger number of ACC schools and it's not in SEC territory.

Totally agree which is why I always thought that we should be in the SEC but that's a moot point since Bama is the only school that wants us. I went to the "ice bowl" game in Charlotte 3 years ago and they do a great job with the game. Had a great time.

I was the game last night. Live in Charlotte. No way there was 64,778 people there. After I watched the SEC game with some Alabama grads we walked down and got 4 tickets for $20 dollar s. We were sitting damn close.

There's no way there were 65K people at that game.

They learned their attndance counting techniques from RW. They said there were over 26,000 at our Thanksgiving Saturday game against Vandy and there couldn't have been more than 12,000 hardy souls actually there for the game. The Friday of the William & Mary basketball game they reported over 6500 fans and there couldn't have been 3000. But the Carolina Panthers take the cake as they have reported over 100+ consecutive games of sellouts at the same site of this ACCCG so maybe they were doing the counting.

Totally agree which is why I always thought that we should be in the SEC but that's a moot point since Bama is the only school that wants us. I went to the "ice bowl" game in Charlotte 3 years ago and they do a great job with the game. Had a great time.

Well, you might soon be in the Big 12. Absolutely no chance of being in the SEC.

I'm really excited to see a Louisville/Boston College or Syracuse/UVA match up someday. That will really be a game to behold. Tens of Charlottians will have a special treat.

NASCAR is technically "headquarted" in Daytona Beach, as the France family, or at least a portion of it, lives here. All of that is probably for tax reasons. Nice building across the street from the Speedway. But the "spiritual" headquarters of NASCAR is in NC. The technical location of the corporate headquarters means nothing when it comes to fanbases, attendance, regional interest, whatever.

It obviously all depends on the matchups. We need to boot BC, and hire an SEC think tank to teach Miami how to cheat and not get caught, because when they are down, they are such a drag on the conference.

I'm really excited to see a Louisville/Boston College or Syracuse/UVA match up someday. That will really be a game to behold. Tens of Charlottians will have a special treat.

I'd guess that Syracuse would bring many more people than their partner Pitt and UVA's showing wouldn't be terrible either.

Zero idea about Louisville.

Unless it moves back to Jacksonville then those three North Floridians will have a great time.

I'd guess that Syracuse would bring many more people than their partner Pitt and UVA's showing wouldn't be terrible either.

Zero idea about Louisville.

Louisville probably brings more people than all but about 3-4 conference schools (Clemson, State, UNC, maybe VT).

Back