• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2012 Dem Party Platform Draft for Gay Marriage and Repeal of Defense of Marriage Act

ncsportsnut1

Reaction score
http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/democratic-party-platform-draft-we-support-marri

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/how-many-states-have-banned-gay-marriage

32 states have voted to not allow gay marriages in their respective states. 2000 African-American pastors told the Obama Administration point blank about a month ago not to have this in the party platform.

NC banned gay marriages 61% to 39%. I can't see how adopting this platform is going to help the Dems and Obama. I'm sure they are raising some money from it, but can't see how it offsets the lost votes. With 32 states overwhelmingly opposing gay marriage, the Dems adoption of this platform is out of the mainstream and extreme in regards to this issue and risks alienation of African-Americans and independents.

Good. Dems support individual freedoms just as the Pubs claim to.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/democratic-party-platform-draft-we-support-marri

32 states have voted to not allow gay marriages in their respective states. 2000 African-American pastors told the Obama Administration point blank about a month ago not to have this in the party platform.

NC banned gay marriages 61% to 39%. I can't see how adopting this platform is going to help the Dems and Obama. I'm sure they are raising some money from it, but can't see how it offsets the lost votes. With 32 states overwhelmingly opposing gay marriage, the Dems adoption of this platform is out of the mainstream and extreme in regards to this issue and risks alienation of African-Americans and independents.

Good. The party admits they don't hate gay people getting married like you seem to.

Keep supporting the party that doesn't believe in the Declaration of Independence and bigotry.

It is designed to get the base, all 20% of it, fired up. We'll see how the black pastors feel about it. It's also an opportunity for MSNBC to call Republicans bigots. That's all it really is. The DNC obviously doesn't have much left but to harp on social conservative issues as if that is really what voters care about this year.

It is designed to get the base, all 20% of it, fired up. We'll see how the black pastors feel about it. It's also an opportunity for MSNBC to call Republicans bigots. That's all it really is. The DNC obviously doesn't have much left but to harp on social conservative issues as if that is really what voters care about this year.

Says someone whose party is king of harping on social issues.

Oh noes!!!! A party is using gay marriage to fire up the base to support an incumbent!!!!!

Oh noes!!!! A party is using gay marriage to fire up the base to support an incumbent!!!!!

From a pure political strategy viewpoint, I don't get it. The majority of gay voters were going to support Obama anyway. By doing this you risk a much lower turnout of the African -American vote, which one can argue that the African-American voters made the difference for Obama in 2008. It went to 13% of total vote and 93% for Obama, vs. 2004 being 11% and only 85% for Kerry. So I don't think African-Americans will suddenly vote for Romney, but I do think issues like this and 14.1% unemployment will suppress their turnout and enthusiasm.

This is it. Now Romney is gonna get 50% of the African American vote.

Does anybody give a damn about what is written in a party's platform?

The only thing a platform is good for is to give the base something in words that they can't provide in practice and to give opponents something to criticize.

Does anybody give a damn about what is written in a party's platform?

The only thing a platform is good for is to give the base something in words that they can't provide in practice and to give opponents something to criticize.

I do. The platform is a statement of what the parties stand for. I don't pay watch the conventions (though I appreciate the updates I get here - I just can't stand political speeches). I vote much more on what a candidate's positions are than I do personality or likeability. I think more folks should look at the parties' platform positions and consider those when voting.

From a pure political strategy viewpoint, I don't get it. The majority of gay voters were going to support Obama anyway. By doing this you risk a much lower turnout of the African -American vote, which one can argue that the African-American voters made the difference for Obama in 2008. It went to 13% of total vote and 93% for Obama, vs. 2004 being 11% and only 85% for Kerry. So I don't think African-Americans will suddenly vote for Romney, but I do think issues like this and 14.1% unemployment will suppress their turnout and enthusiasm.

This will have pretty much no effect on the black vote.

Also, what happened to Republicans? The party of personal liberty and fiscal responsibility has done neither for about 30 years now.

Keep supporting the party that doesn't believe in the Declaration of Independence and bigotry.

Says the guy who supports candidates that are against the right to life and judges people's applications for public benefits based on their skin color.

That's a relief. They've been so judicious and restrained in that brand of slander to date.

There are very few things in the world that are black and white. Here are two:

If you oppose the right of gays to marry, you oppose the Declaration of Independence

This couldn't be any more black and white. At the heart of the document is "All men are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights among them being life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"

By opposing their ability to be married, you definitively deny them their "unalienable right" to purse happiness.

That's about as black and white as you can get.

If you oppose gay marriage, you don't believe in the Golden Rule

Again you can't get any more black and white than if you deny gay people the ability to get married you must allow them to deny you the ability to be married.

It's just that simple.

RJ, I just saw that it was your b-day on Saturday. A late happy birthday and I hope you have many more, even though if you live too long you will help to break the SoshCurity bank.

There are very few things in the world that are black and white. Here are two:

If you oppose the right of gays to marry, you oppose the Declaration of Independence

This couldn't be any more black and white. At the heart of the document is "All men are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights among them being life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"

By opposing their ability to be married, you definitively deny them their "unalienable right" to purse happiness.

That's about as black and white as you can get.

If you oppose gay marriage, you don't believe in the Golden Rule

Again you can't get any more black and white than if you deny gay people the ability to get married you must allow them to deny you the ability to be married.

It's just that simple.

Except that your party believes "equal" is relative, and continues to judge people de jure on their skin color. Carry on, Mr. Cut and Dry.

This is one of the nuttier things you've written over the past few days, and that's saying a lot. Is it your contention that the founders believed that homosexual marriage was required by law?

This is one of the nuttier things you've written over the past few days, and that's saying a lot. Is it your contention that the founders believed that homosexual marriage was required by law?

Not at all....gay people weren't asking for that in that era. Today they are.

Why don't you directly answer rather than moving the goalposts.

TODAY is denying gays the right to marry denying the same right to happiness that straight people are allowed by getting married?

Do gay have the "unalienable right" to pursue happiness?

You always demand that I answer simply and directly.

I'll ask it again; Do gays have the same unalienable rights as straight people?

As you often ask me, answer yes or no.

Back