• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2013 US Open at Merion

There are reports that players were able to make ball marks on the greens on greenside bunker shots.

Damnit.

I played the course in ~1995. I wish I had a cell phone camera back then. Still it is really fun to watch a tournament where you have played the course.

Wonder how Sergio will fare with the Philly fans. They need to do a be nice to Sergio week like they did with Monty in New York.

This is so disappointing. It's going to rain even more this week. The course cannot possibly firm up. This ain't Hazeltine. Merion cannot hold its own when it is waterlogged. This is the last time we will see an old course have an open--we aren't ever going to know the answer to whether such a course can withstand today's power game. Too bad.

Here is your live update....it's gone from raining to fucking pouring , oh, and flooded. Don't worry, I'm not driving and texting. You would need to be actually moving to be driving and texting.

With the train bridge, it could flood a couple of holes by the road.

Wonder if the USGA will permit metal spikes this week? If so, there will be spike marks like canyons.

Regardless if someone goes 15 under, the US Open is great because it is the ultimate pressure cooker. You see shit on Sunday you see in no other major. I don't think it's that important to try to keep great players under or around 10 under. The competition speaks for itself and I really don't think it's a reflection on the course. Merion isn't Oakmont but the history of the competition there is amazing and I have a feeling this year will be no different. You won't see a one iron into the final hole to try to force a playoff but we're going to see something extraordinary I think. The USGA is going to put the pin placements in the early rounds in some wicked places to keep the scores down.

Worst case scenario for Merion, or at least close to it (fortunately 11 green hasn't flooded). What an awesome course, wish we could have seen it play fast.

I suppose one positive that could come from a bunch of players shooting well under par is more serious consideration of rolling back the golf ball. That would impact pros while not changing much for amateurs.

It's really not so much the course as the competition that make the Open the Open. You could have twenty players shred the course but somebody has to have the nerve to close the deal. That is the cool part.

I think that slower course with greens that hold approach shots will substantially change the Open. Yes you will still have the pressure of competing for the greatest prize in golf; however the best players will not be forced to hit shots that they don't normally hit. That is a factor that I love about the Open. With hard fast, narrow fairways, thicker rough, and with greens that are abnormally fast players have to hit shots that they don't hit week in and week out on the tour. Plus the penalties are much more severe for missed shots. The best players in the world are reduced to looking like amateurs at points. It increases the pressure and ordinarily results in true champions.

What's the weather look like for today through Sunday? If it is dry starting today, I would think the USGA would still probably get the course playing fairly fast by the weekend.

I think more rain heading in on Thursday, but the weekend should be ok.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few guys get it to -10 or so on Friday, then have the winning score be right around the same number. I bet on Sunday you'll hear "This is how they wanted the course to play all week" about 2,000 times.

I think more rain heading in on Thursday, but the weekend should be ok.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few guys get it to -10 or so on Friday, then have the winning score be right around the same number. I bet on Sunday you'll hear "This is how they wanted the course to play all week" about 2,000 times.

This. See Sunday at Olympia Fields in 2003.

I hate it, I was really wanting to see it dry as a bone to where they were having to syringe the greens between groups to keep from losing them. I guess I'm kind of sadistic when it comes to the US Open :slash::slash::slash:

I hate it, I was really wanting to see it dry as a bone to where they were having to syringe the greens between groups to keep from losing them. I guess I'm kind of sadistic when it comes to the US Open :slash::slash::slash:

Then you might not be a Mike Jones fan. I think he's done a much better job than his predecessors at making the venues both difficult and fair. Some of the course conditions prior to Jones taking over used to border on the ridiculous.

Back